Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perky ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 11:04PM

A month or so ago there was post about the value of a YW medallion. I know the purpose of the medal is just to show you completed the work, not something of real value. However, today my wife and I sold some old gold jewelry we had laying around and asked the guy to value the medal. This was medal from about 1977, back when they were "really nice."

Drum roll - the value of the precious metals in the medal is a whopping 13 cents.

LDS Inc., was cheap back then with gold plated, gold medals and is even cheaper today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 11:05PM by perky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 11:08PM

It's the social gold. "I'm cool, I completed the Church's goals for me."

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 12:46AM

Quit complaining. In my day the word medallion for women was nothing. In primary we had the bandello, purple or pink as I recall, and I thought back then it was ugly to wear and was glad we never seemed to have to wear them. (now maybe I was absent when the wearing occurred). I wasn't jealous of the boyscout outfits, as I thought they were rather ugly also. I always liked the idea of a necklace, but back then the only religious necklaces that I knew of was the cross. If you were a Mormon and wore one of those it was off with your head, and then you didn't need a necklace.

Posted by: Helen not logged in ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 01:08PM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you
> were a Mormon and wore one of those it was off
> with your head, and then you didn't need a
> necklace.

LOL! Do you know Jack Handy? :-)

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 11:39PM

That's IT! The bandlo. That's the sash we had. I joined when I was almost 12, so only had a short time to earn badges for it. I was very eager to catch up with the other girls though. \

Ours were green like in this picture.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q258/ParshallAE/Album%204/006.jpg

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 12:54AM

Oh wow, the primary bandello. For us boys it was blazers, then Trekkers and then guide patrol.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 12:59AM

I think of some of those names, and they are awful. Guide Patrol? Just exactly who was it they were guiding and Patrolling?

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 01:04AM

*snicker*

;o)

Date: October 18, 2014 01:06AM

Hellifiknow. I was 11.

Date: October 18, 2014 01:08AM

I will tell you this: I sure hated Wednesday afternoons.

Posted by: SEclar Priest ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 07:21PM

I still have mine. How do I post a picture of it here.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 08:16AM

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 12:41PM

What is a bandello?

I converted at the age of 25, so never had to go through all that Young Women stuff.

I tried to google Bandello, and got Mateo Bandello, who was a Catholic priest back in the 14th century IIRC, and something about a mandolin.

Other Susan

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 07:11PM

Well THAT brings back some memories!

Date: October 18, 2014 12:55PM

I was a primary kid in the 60's. Not sure of the spelling but the BAN-dell-oh was this thing made of cheap felt that we wore around our necks. Each time you recited an article of article of faith from memory, they glued the appropriate number on the bandello. A big "1" for memorizing the first and so on. By the time you were 11, you had the numbers 1-13 on it. Come on you old timers!! Anyone else here remember this??

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 05:48PM

And, as I recall, you wore it across the body like the Beauty Pageant type body banners.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 09:15PM

Oh yes--bandalos! In primary we had maroon felt bandalos and we would earn cheap plastic things we would earn and stick on. In Beehives they were blue felt and we had to sew on felt badges. In primary we wore them to school on primary day, but in Jr. High we'd only wear them to Mutual. How embarrassing. I don't think there were any photos of me that survived either of these.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 09:58PM

I too remember the bandelos. I think (digging through 40-45 year old memories) the Blazers was represented by a blue ship's helmsman's wheel? Or was that the Trekkers?

We had the small adhesive Articles of Faith buttons that stuck to the felt, the ones with the images behind the transparent plastic. I could always memorize pretty well, but I vaguely recall worrying about the 13th AoF because it was so much longer than the others.

I will concede that those buttons were kind of fun for a little Primary kid to receive. Looking back, it was clearly indoctrination, but a more clever and subtle form, not the clumsy ham-handed way the church engages in now.

Date: October 18, 2014 10:46PM

If I remember correctly (and remember, I'm old) the blazer was a yellow hatchet and the trekker was a blue wagon wheel. To those that remember, does this sound correct?

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 05:39PM

Blazers got a yellow ax, Trekkers got a blue wagon wheel, and Guides got a red arrow.

Date: October 18, 2014 10:52PM

One more thing. For my last 3 years of primary (ages 9,10 and 11), my teachers kept insisting that when the day came for me to be interviewed to become a deacon, the bishop would most certainly ask me to recite some or all of the A of F. I went into the interview scared shitless. Turns out, the bishop never mentioned it. Kind of mean thing those primary teachers did to dumb little kid, don't you think?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:39PM

In fairness, I don't think the LDS Church ever suggested that medallions were made of precious metals. Even Olympic "gold" medals are not solid gold but either plated or gold filled. In the 70s most church medals and such were manufactured in Salt Lake City by the O.C. Tanner Company, known nationally as a quality manufacturer of such items...quality of design and visual excellence. Some time in the late 70s early 80s they began having some awards produced in countries like Japan as a cost cutting measure.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 06:14PM

And the effort that goes into earning them is also worthless.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.