Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Griff ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 02:58PM

So when it comes up I speak Spanish (white guy) or that I lived in South America for two years, folks inevitably ask, "what were you doing down there?" I don't really want to say brainwashing folks having been brainwashed myself... Anyone else out there the same? What do you say to people?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:23PM

I thought about doing that (it's French and France in my case).
But gave up.
I just tell them, "I was a mormon missionary. I'm no longer a mormon."

I get reactions ranging from shock to laughter -- most people who've only known me a few years or less usually say something like, "I can't imagine you as a mormon!"
Yeah, me either :)
The general response, though, is something along the lines of, "Wow, that's a great story, good thing you got out!"

I agree.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 05:38PM

Along this line, I, too, just say I was a Mormon missionary. I usually leave it at that, though sometimes adding I was of Mormon extraction, but left the church a long time ago.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:28PM

I use those moments as an opportunity to inform the public. When asked why I show such little interest in alcohol, I typically say something about "residual Mormonism" before explaining that I "studied my way out".

Same goes for when I mention my five sons. I want them to understand that I am no longer a deluded idiot and that the LDS Church is a mindless cult.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:30PM

I should add that I *have* removed my first year of college from my resume. I do not want to scare any potential employers away with Brigham Young University in my history without a proper explanation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 03:30PM by Facsimile 3.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:28PM

Professionally, if someone asks, I tell them that I was doing humanitarian work. If they ask followup questions I tell them that I used to be very religious and it was a mission.

If I'm in a bar and someone asks then I tell them that I sold religion door to door for two years.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:07AM

I hire about 60 people a year,

If I interviewed a return missionary who called it humanitarian service, I would end the interview on the spot on notate a do not hire for any other postitions they applied to (I work for a fortune 500 company)

Posted by: Scully1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 06:43AM

That is certainly your choice. However, would you end the interview on the spot for other areas where people are framing their story in a more mainstream acceptable way?

I challenge that almost NO ONE honestly answers, "why did you leave xyz job?" There are pluses and minuses to every job. In an interview it's good to be honest but also to present things in a positive light.

I personally feel my mission did include humanitarian work. It was the primary reason I volunteered to go - to help others.

Posted by: snb (nli) ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 09:54AM

Mine included plenty of humanitarian work too. It was mostly selling religion door to door, but about once a week we would come across something that we could do for others.

Since then I spent years and years outside of the US doing more mainstream humanitarian work and I enjoyed it a lot more. It was nice to focus more on people than on numbers, pressure and guilt.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 07:38AM

Uuuuuh ... I think you'd be breaking some laws there ASteve. Religious discrimination and all that.

;o)

Posted by: snb (nli) ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 09:43AM

You are unethical and biased. It is probably for the best that you wouldn't hire me because frankly I couldn't work for an organization that has so little integrity that you would be at the helm of so many hiring decisions.

Besides, you would have no idea whether my experience was religious or not, so your little rage scenario would never really play out.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:33PM

No offense, but isn't intentionally omitting a portion of your life's experiences similar to the whitewashing of history done by the Morg? Couldn't you just say you went on a mission back when you used to be a mormon?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:33PM

I tell them "That is classified under non-disclosure" and they quickly drop it.

Me too So. America.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 03:35PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Left Field ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 05:27PM

I just say, "Back in my Mormon days, I did the mission thing for a couple of years." That way it's very clear that I'm not involved with the church in any way now.

Then I go on to say how glad I am to have had a chance to learn a 2nd language and live in a different culture.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 05:40PM

I usually borrow the howler line from Star Trek IV movie and say "Back when I was doing LDS"...

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 08:18PM

Void K. Packer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I usually borrow the howler line from Star Trek IV
> movie and say "Back when I was doing LDS"...

..so now I've turned it all around and it's all SDL...

screw da lord

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 05:35PM

DH and I met in Argentina. Usually if asked we just say we were students. (Well, we were college students before and after our missions, so there!)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 08:03PM

If I recall correctly, missionaries in Brazil were there as "Students of the Portuguese language and Brazilian culture" or so it said on their visa applications.

If your situation was simular, you could claim being a student.

After all, the true church would not condone lying, right?

Posted by: Son of Abraham ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 09:36PM

This comes up all the time. I met a guy from Argentina last week. I never say "Mormon missionary". I will say studying Spanish, volunteer work, traveling...

I don't like to do this, as I feel like later I may have to correct a misconception...

I wish I'd done the Peace Corps instead.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 11:12PM

I've been asked if I went on a mission...and I say no...and they ask why not...and I tell then I didn't want to waste 2 precious years of my life...and they are insulted...perfect!

Ron Burr

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 12:11AM

My life's mission is no mission, omission of mission or mission remission.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 02:44AM

Say Peace Corps or visiting friends there.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:17AM

I agree that it is too blatant a lie to say you were doing "humanitarian" service.

What's wrong with saying that you did it for your parents--that's pretty much the truth, is it not?

With a resume, it would do more harm to say that you were hanging out for two years--not going to school--not working. People who hire you do not like to see gaps in the resume. "Visiting friends" for two years? I don't think so. Peace Corps can be verified. Taking a break from being a student = ditching out of college.

I would say something like, "My parents wanted me to be a missionary for their church for two years." Follow up with, "I loved the people/culture, and it was a good experience." There has to be something positive about it...the food, the language, the people, the scenery.

Fill out a form by putting "full-time church missionary" or "formal religious missionary." Don't say what church! Don't go into any detail in writing. Probably most people don't know that an LDS mission is a complete waste of time, and that it does everyone more harm than good. Potential employers that don't know about Mormonism might picture you digging wells or teaching English or building roofs or feeding the hungry. They might think you are noble and altruistic--good qualities for an employee.

About BYU, I say, "I had a full scholarship to BYU." I don't say anything about BYU, except that it was a good experience. (Meaning, I loved the skiing and the social life, and maybe 4 or 5 of the classes.)

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 03:51AM

I think it's best to be honest. I find a lot of people are interested in Mormonism. You do have to watch what you say so you don't end up alienating people by being too negative.

But I wouldn't lie about being in the Peace Corps or something. As a former PCV, I can tell you that if I were to meet you and you claimed to be a former Volunteer, I'd probably ask you more about your experience and it might be obvious you're lying if you're not accurate.

There's no shame in having been a missionary, especially if you eventually realized it was a bunch of hooey and left.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 04:17AM

. . . enlightenment that took several more years to complete. :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2014 12:22PM by steve benson.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 04:23AM

I just tell people that I was recruiting for a sex cult turned pyramid scheme based in the Rocky Mountains. Seriously, it's a great way to start a conversation, and potential employers get a kick out of it too. I've not tried it in the US though.

Posted by: Japan Mission ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 05:58AM

At this point I have been back from my mission for over 30 years. Do not see the point of even putting something that far back on the resume (and that goes for work experience too). As one who has looked through resumes himself, most employers focused on what you did the last 10 to 15 years. I think anything further back that is not directly relevant to the job you are seeking can be safely dropped. If people ask why I speak Japanese I say that I studied Japanese in college and then had a job in Tokyo for several years after I left graduate school (both true). I would never lie about serving a mission, but would only bring it up if absolutely necessary in a professional setting. As for BYU, since that is where I went to college I have to list it on the resume, but in my case I have a Master's degree from a much better university on the East Coast, which is what I emphasize (and what employers focus on, to be honest.) If you did go to BYU, I would suggest going elsewhere for graduate school.

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 06:46AM

BYU is/was not a bad engineering school.

Now if my degree had been in anthropology and ancient Egyptian cartoons from BYU ... I would still feel embarrassed.

I also freely admit to donating 2 years of my life on a mission (Argentina South). (Lots of RfM references to Argentina lately.)

When you tell the truth about yourself, you gift others with contact with an authentic human being. Being who you are openly is your gift to the planet.

What others think about you is mostly about them, not about you.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 08:17AM

I am military and went to korea on my mission. I spin it so it sounds like I was stationed there not a missionary

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 08:19AM

I'm old enough I don't have to worry about it any longer or account for two empty years pissed away on some cult mission. But I do occasionally tell people that I, too, in a different life was one o' them Mormon missionaries, and they laugh and say, "Wait... What? You? Really? Really? You?"

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:16AM

I tell people I spent two years in France learning how to cook. Yogurt, steak-frites, and gateau frommage (the REAL cheese cake).

Let them think I went to cooking school there. They're right - it's where I first prepared a meal for two.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:17AM

Forgive me folks but I gotta say Praise to da Man, GBH!

The young smartass apostle who inadvertently granted me manumission from a mormun mission.

I just knew I was headed to Latino country because of my fluency en espanol.

There but for the grace of Gord.........

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:30AM

OK, I wanted to reply to this when it first started - so here goes.

A year ago, I was in a chemo lab receiving chemo for breast cancer that had returned. One of my nurses was a tall gorgeous blond aka white girl who spoke perfect Spanish. I asked her where she learned to speak that language so well. She replied that she had been in Paraguay doing humanitarian work. She described it as knocking on doors and asking if the family had any needs, like food or help with housing repairs. I told her I thought that was incredible. And I couldn't ask her if she had been a missionary - couldn't do it. She exuded mormonism all over her.

Later, on another chemo day, I had another nurse and we were talking about our favorite martinis. One of us mentioned lemon and the nurse said - oh - that is tall gorgeous blond's favorite drink!

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:45AM

The only time I've ever had to account for mission experience was when obtaining a security clearance for federal work.

On my resume, I just have my college graduation date. Most employers, in my experience, really don't care about what work you were doing in or before college unless it's relevant to the work you're applying for or you're a very recent college graduate. When I interview people, I'm generally looking only at work candidates have done after graduating.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.