Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 12:04AM

Several of my LDS friends and relatives from Utah have united in posted the following status update, and subsequently "liking" each other's identical status:

"TOUGH GIRLS come from NEW YORK, SWEET GIRLS come from TEXAS, BARBIE GIRLS come from CALIFORNIA, BUT us *UTAH* GIRLS have fire and ice in our blood!! We can ride 4-wheelers, be a princess, throw a right hook, love football, pack heat, fish with the boys, bake a cake,be great moms, party, and love with a passion And, if we have an opinion YOU KNOW UR GONNA HEAR IT!! Post If you're a UTAH GIRL!"

So, in response, I commented:

"That's interesting. Utah girls have a lot in common with Ohio girls, Kentucky Girls, Virginia Girls and Tennessee Girls. :0)"

I'm kind of laughing about the whole thing because even if it's all an accurate generalization about Utah women, nothing about the description distinguishes "Utah Girls" from girls just about anywhere else in America.

***I'm not bagging on Utah, I just think it's bizarre that my friends/relatives from Utah who are MORMONS think this is how they can be described. I know these people. The description doesn't fit AT ALL.***

I'm especially laughing because I lived amongst these particular Mormon women in scenic West Valley City for over three years of my life and got a lot of flack everywhere I went for actually having and articulating opinions. So it kind of cracks me up that all these Mormon women in my life claim that they are the ones who have cornered that market.

Nor did I meet many (only two) scrappy Mormon women in Utah who actually could throw a mean right hook (church ball brawl between Bishop's adult daughter and the wife of one of the officials-- true story). I would venture to say most of the Mormon women in my life have never gotten into a real fight in their lives. I also know that several of them don't own guns and have never been shooting in their lives, so the whole "packing heat" bit is nonsense.

Certainly little of the post is what people actually think of when they think of "Utah Girls" who are also Mormon (like all my friends and relatives who duplicated the status). For them, the applicable "Utah Girl" description would be:

"I'm a Wizardess of Jello, I make 'scones', have two years of wheat and honey in my basement, Scrapbook like a fetchin' machine, sell Home Interiors, Shaklee, AND AM-Way, Run a Part-time Photography business, Buy Ice Cream by the gallon and had 5 kids before I was 25!! Plus I honor and obey the Priesthood and I was married in the temple to the most wonderful RM hubby in the world! I Love Thomas S. Monson. The church is TRUE!! I'm a Utah Mormon Girl!!!"

Thanks for letting me vent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 12:31AM by angsty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 12:52AM

Dominating, chauvinist, Mormon men tell the women that women have power, women have rights, women are speshul--and the women believe it.

Utah Mormon women are almost the opposite of the Facebook description. Are they deluded?

--Ride a 4-wheeler on the seat behind the man.
--Dress up as a princess.
--Throw a right hook at their children.
--Love football. Hubby watches it all day, while she brings him his snacks, and mows the lawn.
--Pack heat. Get real. That's your husband's gun (and you'd better not piss him off).
--Fish with the boys, if you have time after packing up the car, taking care of the 9 kids, feeding everyone, etc. No Utah man wants his wife to be "one of the boys."
--Bake a cake, big whoop. How condescending to make a big deal out of that.
--Be great moms. According to whom? Can they adequately care for and supervise 8 children?
--Love with a passion. Are Utah women "passionate?" No, they are on Prozac.
--Have you ever heard any Utah women express her opinion when there are men in the room? They all whisper like little girls.

One thing for sure, Utah women are immature. I can't believe that they would admire a woman who packs heat (TV police-speak) and throw a right hook (Hilary Swank would be proud).

I shouldn't rip on these women. Everyone needs to have a dream. I think it is FASCINATING what repressed, subjugated Mormon women dream.

Thanks for your post.

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:19AM

Are you serious? They've posted some stupid stuff like that? Wow! Just, wow.

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:24AM

The women I knew in UT where so bland...I often wondered if they could talk....none of them were in college, all were putting hubby through school....none of them had been anywhere but UT...

I had finished college, brought my prized horse to UT with me..could actually fire a firearm...without threatening anyone nearby....had more opionions than needed, so I was told...could drink scotch with anyone...surprised no restrauants served alcohol...and didn't dress modestly enough...oh well...we moved to CA and all was well for awhile...

UT women are so alike it's scary.

stormy

Posted by: Nalicea ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:25AM

I've seen that same status posted by "Idaho" girls on my FB friends list and I thought the same thing.

Great post. lol

Posted by: lisa ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 08:18AM

I keep seeing the same thing but with "Alabama" and "North Dakota" instead of "Utah".

Posted by: kestrafinn ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:08AM

Sounds like several of my friends here in New England as well.

Of course, we'd mock each other to no end for using the phrase "pack heat." Probably in an exaggerated Boston accent with something like "What dude, you throwin' wahmin' packs in ya pockets? Ya wuss."

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:30AM

Yeah, every other state has been added in...this isn't something special to Utah. I've seen it all pretty much. I'd think nothing of it.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:45AM

How nutty! lol

How about "Utah women do what they're told when commanded by priesthood authority."

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 10:53AM

Sure, there are a minority of intelligent, independent, funny, strong women there, but more than anywhere I've spent any time, Utah produces shallow, unambitious, needy, subservient adult girls. That was my opinion even when I was still a faithful Mormon.

I was one of those public-menace-aged bachelors, and Mom would ask, "But don't you want to marry a good Mormon girl and have children?"

I'd mutter something about still looking, but inside I was thinking, "Eeeeew, a 'good Mormon girl?' No, please, no no no no! I want something better than that." It's one of the reasons I left Zion.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 11:21AM

My bro is one of those. He's so awesome. He's LDS as far as his literal beliefs go, but when it comes out in the wash, he seems more New-Order Mormon. He has the hardest time meeting Mormon women he can stand to be around and when he does-- they're usually from somewhere else.

I know he loves Utah, Utah-Mormons and all, but I can't help but suspect that part of it is a.) he doesn't really want to get married and being there limits his chances of finding a partner of suitable character (very intellectual AND wants to have a large family), b.) I think there's a little big fish/small pond dynamic going on-- he likes being the smartest, sharpest, coolest guy everyone knows (and I'll give credit where it's due, he's pretty damn smart, sharp as hell and cool to boot) and, c.) as with all members of my family, I think he has a radical streak that makes him prone to rebellion-- Utah is fun place to be a rebel-- I found that out by being a feminist there.

It's guys like him, where Mormonism does him NO favors, that confuse me. Mormonism can't offer him anything. It makes him a disobedient freak who can't have what he wants in life. Plus, he knows full well that a majority of what gets said in church and by the church is baloney. It doesn't make sense. Oh well, at least he's still awesome.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.