Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notlaughing ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:15PM

Daniel C. Peterson suggest members "just laugh" at criticism of the Book of Mormon.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865613202/When-the-criticisms-of-the-Book-of-Mormon-cant-be-taken-seriously.html

He states, "...no explanation that adequately and consistently accounts for the entirety of Joseph’s testimony and revelations has yet been proposed...For most Latter-day Saints, probably, the best response remains to laugh — and then to get on with living and building the kingdom."

No iron, steel, glass, or silk every found in Pre-Columbian America?

No worries. Just laugh.

No wheat, barley, oats, millet, rice, cattle, pigs, chickens, horses, donkeys ever found either?

No worries. Just laugh.

No DNA evidence?

No worries. Just laugh.

No wheels either?

No worries. Just laugh.

Plagiarism of KJV, including it's known errors?

No worries. Just laugh.

Racist doctrine?

No worries. Just laugh.

I'm not laughing Daniel C. Peterson. I'm crying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:18PM

And don't forget to laugh at those who deny the existence of middle earth too, or the starship enterprise.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 07:25PM

Don't laugh. Those people should he pitied. I know in ly heart that Bilbo is the true finder of the ring, and that Frodo and Sam truly restored order to Middle Earth. I know that Gandalf plunged into the depths of the abyss for the Fellowship, and that we have a King today, like unto the Kings of old, even Aragorn II Elessar.

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 02:53AM

your testimony inspires me. thank you, brother/sister sparty.
;)

Date: October 17, 2014 02:54AM

well, they just retracted that book of abraham stuff. does that mean we get to laugh?

Date: October 17, 2014 02:54AM

oops.. wrong reply-ness. silly rfm

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:22PM

Just laugh. Whatever you do, don't listen, don't think, don't investigate.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:31PM

LOL, I think Peterson is quite the comedian. He's got me laughing and I can't stop!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:32PM

I would rather laugh at Peterson's pervstache

Date: October 16, 2014 03:35PM

Are you implying that Hitler was a pervert?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:48PM

translation:

the best response remains to laugh — and then to get on with paying your tithing

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:52PM

The thing is that none of the things you mention, the REAL problems with the BOM are mentioned in this article. For good reason. If we can focus three paragraphs on the fact that "Nahom," which he says was a place known to exist in Arabia (you know, because someone found a stone with the letters NHM on it, so mormons, and only mormons, claim it meant Nahom), and there was some obscure Cambridge map that JS could not possibly have seen, then we can just laugh about all the real anachronisms that we won't mention because they're not as easy to laugh off.

And then we can convince the sheeple that you laugh off anything anyone points out about the nonsense in the BOM. And you know what, it works. DCP is someone we can laugh at when it comes to his supposedly being a scholar, but ya gotta admit, when it comes to mormon brainwashing and doublethink, he's a genius.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 04:15PM

After DCP claims that 2 supposed critics (not named), made 2 different claims of plagarism, he gives us this gem:

"Other claims are more credible — superficially, anyway: Some critics allege that 1 Nephi’s Nahom, a place name that we now know existed in Arabia during Lehi’s time, could have been taken from Dartmouth College’s copy of Carsten Neibuhr’s late-18th-century map of Arabia, which shows it. After all, the Smith family lived in New Hampshire, not far from Dartmouth, between 1811 and late 1813 — when Joseph Smith was nearing 8 years of age! But, as it turns out, Dartmouth first acquired the map in December 1937, somewhat too late for the 1830 Book of Mormon. (The Library of Congress acquired its copy in 1951.)"

However, notice that he doesn't claim that any critics came up with this theory. And in fact, he claims it's "credible--superficially, anyway." Why would that be? That's because it's actually the tie that the APOLOGISTS have made to the letters NHM, not the critics. They claim that because this map was found showing an actual place named Nahom, there was one. Only one problem, the map shoes it as a place called "Nehhem," only mormon apologists have claimed that the Arabian spelling would have been Nahom. So now they're claiming that's where some critics say JS got it from.

Ummmm, No. DCP is trying to detract his reader with this claim for two reasons: 1) So that he can throw in his little cute funny story about he and Hamblin wanting to do a book called "JS: The Cambridge Years," and so that he can claim that there is some credibility to the Nahom thing. Hey, I know. Why don't we do a book titled, "Peterson and Hamblin, the Rock in Yemen years." Haha haha haha haha. Yeah, I know it's about as funny as they are.

So amazing that mor(m)ons can't see through this kind of BS.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:53PM

I laughed at the way Big Dan attempted to distract the reader with the following red herring:

"Another example: More than 20 years ago, two critics suggested that the cosmological ideas in the Book of Abraham derive from a 1728 entry in Benjamin Franklin’s unpublished personal papers and from an obscure 1755 work by the German philosopher Immanuel Kant that was barely noticed in Germany and wasn’t published in English until 1900."

I assume he was referring to Vogel and Metcalfe as the "two critics". Of course, they were just pointing to an intellectual environment and not a specific source when they drew parallels to Kant. Meanwhile, if Big Dan wants to unrealistically demand that any potential influence must have been on Joseph Smith's actual bookshelf, then let's give him some Thomas Dick, "Philosophy of a Future State" (published in 1828 and a 2nd edition in 1830):

"...it may be stated, that the soul of man appears to be capable of making a perpetual progress towards intellectual and moral perfection, and of enjoying felicity in every stage of its career, without the possibility of ever arriving at a boundary to its excursions."

"A thousand conjectures and inquiries are suggested to the mind, in relation to the systems and worlds which are dispersed through the immensity of space. Are all those vast globes peopled with inhabitants? Are they connected together, under the government of God, as parts of one vast moral system? Are their inhabitants pure moral intelligences, or are they exposed to the inroads of physical and moral evil? What are the gradations of rank or of intellect which exist among them? What correspondence do they carry on with other provinces of the Divine empire?"

“It is now considered by astronomers, as highly probable, if not certain, - from late observations, from the nature of gravitation, and other circumstances, that all the systems of the universe revolve round one common centre, - and that this centre may bear as great a proportion, in point of magnitude, to the universal assemblage of systems as the sun does to his surrounding planets, And, since our sun is five hundred times larger than the earth, and all the other planets and their satellites taken together, - on the same scale, such a central body would be five hundred times larger than all the systems and worlds in the universe. Here, then, may be a vast universe of itself - an example of material creation, exceeding all the rest in magnitude and splendor, and in which are blended the glories of every other system. If this is in reality the case, it may, with the most emphatic propriety, be termed, THE THRONE OF GOD... This grand central body may be considered as the capital of the universe. From this glorious centre, embassies may be occasionally dispatched to all surrounding worlds, in every region of space. Here, too, deputations from all the different provinces of creation, may occasionally assemble, and the inhabitants of different worlds mingle with each other, and learn the grand outlines of those physical operations and moral transactions, which have taken place in their respective spheres. Here, may be exhibited to the view of unnumbered multitudes, objects of sublimity and glory, which are no where else to be found within the wide extent of creation. Here, intelligences of the highest order, who have attained the most sublime heights of knowledge and virtue, may form the principal part of the population of this magnificent region. Here, the glorified body of the Redeemer may have taken its principal station, as "the head of all principalities and powers:" and here likewise, Enoch and Elijah may reside, in the mean time, in order to learn the history of the magnificent plans and operations of Deity, that they may be enabled to communicate intelligence respecting them to their brethren of the race of Adam, when they shall again mingle with them in the world allotted for their abode, after the general resurrection...”

Sound familiar?

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:54PM

"However, no explanation that adequately and consistently accounts for the entirety of Joseph’s testimony and revelations has yet been proposed. The hypothetical explanation offered for X seldom also covers Y. Indeed, sometimes it flatly contradicts proposed explanations for Y. Thus, we get clashing portraits of Joseph Smith as ignorant scholar, sincere deceiver and brilliant fool."

This is exactly the feeling that I got from reading on FAIR. Many theories/possibilities are thrown out there, but most of them are absurd, or they contradict other articles/arguments on the same site. For many issues, FAIR will mention a critic's argument and then come up with a list of "possibilities" based on little or no evidence. For other issues, FAIR will mention the critic's argument and then completely ignore it in the article...their way of laughing off the issues for which THEY have "no explanation that adequately and consistently accounts for the entirety of Joseph’s testimony and [failed] revelations..."

Still can't figure out if Peterson is an "ignorant scholar, sincere deceiver" or a "brilliant fool"...I'm leaning towards ignorant fool. I'll laugh at him either way.

Date: October 16, 2014 04:17PM

What exactly is an "ignorant scholar?"

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 04:18PM

I actually like DCP's approach and will use it as a model for many uncomfortable conversations.....

The Book of Mormon is true? Ha ha ha...who you trying to kid?.

Joseph Smith was a true prophet of god? Ha ha ha...good one!

I must repent and return to the fold....ha ha ha you're killin' me!

Jesus is the christ and savior of mankind? ha ha ha.....yeah sure.

YOU KNOW the church is true? ha ha ha...thats a good one buddy!

Posted by: notlaughing ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:23PM

Way to turn it around!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:03PM

If Mormons do not want to be ridiculed, they should not evangelize the ridiculous.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:12PM

Put this into perspective:

Would LDS Inc. want DCP to give this advice to missionaries at the Provo MTC?

Would LDS Inc. want the world wide volunteer missionary force to "just laugh" at investigators should they ridicule the BoM or have criticism?

Just laugh?

How much further down the drain would LDS Inc. sink if they were to adopt this approach with their own missionary force?

Says it all, doesn't it, about the advice that DCP utters?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 05:53PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:14PM

Laughing Dan, the Supercilious Man ...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:34PM

Dan, Dan the Mormon man
Cooks his facts in a frying pan
Tells tall tales for his corn pone
Scorns the scholar, loves the drone

Posted by: 3X(nli) ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:40PM

<snort>

something tells me you have a dozen verses up your sleeve ...

and a new submission to Cricket.

Posted by: templenamegabriel ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:33PM

What's funny to me is that you can make the following anagrams from Daniel C Peterson:

Credentials nope
Sanctioned Leper
A Nondescript Eel

Now THAT makes me laugh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 05:54PM by templenamegabriel.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:08AM

End porcine tales

Date: October 17, 2014 06:42AM

"Peon Credentials"

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 06:01PM

Posted by: Other Than ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 06:37PM

Yes, laugh! Laugh like the boat isn't rapidly sinking. It's what any good scholar does. Laugh while treading water. Laugh as the sharks circle.

Every mad man laughs like an idiot before giving his last gasp. Peterson is no different.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 06:47PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 06:43PM

>Summary:

In the end, of course, evidence has to be cited and arguments made. But sometimes an excellent shorthand response to certain criticisms of Joseph Smith and the Restoration is simply a good laugh.

-----------
Mr Potato head writeth in Provonian shorthand

only to be discerned by certain spud heads of course

hahahahaha in ordinary parlance

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 08:34PM

Provonian: from the Zionic-Kolobian language family?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 08:39PM

3X (nli) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Provonian: from the Zionic-Kolobian language
> family?

Why yes, you now have the key.

How aaronic!

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 06:47PM

I wonder how much the General Authorities are laughing as they review the numbers of people leaving Mormonism...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 07:14PM

I suggest laughing at Daniel C. Peterson.
I do it all the time. :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 07:34PM

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 10:41PM

Does he mean laughing as in "they're coming to take me away, ha- haaa!" ?

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:10AM

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 11:48PM

The Book of Mormon does not mention rice. Daniel C. Peterson's suggestion to laugh at that criticism makes good sense.

Now some of the other anachronisms really do harm the credibility of the Book of Mormon. Things like horses and chariots, steel swords, and wheat.

Posted by: sampsonAtard ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 12:07AM

Closet reflections with Daniel C. Peterson:

(as he muses with painted nails in his dressing room with a rainbow pin on his lapel.)

Who would believe the theory of Helaman riding a tapir into battle?

What kind of army would follow him while riding one?

Speaking of armies, can you imagine what it would be like to command all of those not-so-white-but-very-delightsome-glistening-sinewy men?

Danny boy, lately you often cause us to laugh. Sweet dreams to you of your charging striplings... putz!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 12:29AM

So, Dan continues to do for the church what got him fired from the church?

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 01:06AM

Dan Peterson really pissed me off with his condescending posture in explaining the situation with DNA and the BOM.As I'm sure most of you know, DNA markers indicate Native Americans migrated to the Americas via Asia and not the Middle East.Anyway,the video is available on youtube,but I wouldn't recommend watching it,unless you want to get pissed off or laugh at him.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:27AM

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 07:08AM

i also pity Peterson...to realize your life's work has no meaning has to be heavy. He reminds me of Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 07:23AM

I already laugh at the Mormons. Every last one of them and as often as I can. And I strongly suggest others do the same

Posted by: kingbrigham1 ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 07:41AM

"Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying."

From "Peace, Locomotion" by Jacqueline Woodson

Posted by: Controlissues ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 07:47AM

I once tried to respond with facts to one of his articles. He basically called me names and then accused me of calling others names. Then he went on to threaten to pull my responses. He was very nasty all the way through our "correspondence".

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 10:07AM

Bite Me suggests laughing at Daniel C. Peterson.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 10:57AM

Does Mr. Peterson suggest loud laughter?

Just askin'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.