Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 02:06PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 02:13PM

John D. Lee converted my ggrandfather and the rest is history.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 02:17PM

Damn right I did.

All of them in fact.

Uncle Joseph the Horny infected my great grandpa Jesse N Smith in 1834.

And on the other branch, it was gggrandpa Charles Shumway, aka bodyguard to the prohpets who also served Brigham and who gave me a super-mormon surname.

Then on mom's side there were the Mexican plygs, born out of polyandry in Manti no less.

Thanks for asking.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (drunk) ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 05:48AM

You know Paris Hilton's your cousin?

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:25AM

So Paris Hilton has some Mormon royalty running through her veins?

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 02:17PM

My grandmother converted my grandfather after they were married. I don't know who converted my grandmothers family though. Her mother was a polygamist. On my fathers side I'm unsure of as well. I just know that the Richards we are related to got in early.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 02:22PM

Yes....my Mom and Dad! :(

I was 3...I remember playing with Missionaries a few years after we had joined after we moved to England. But that's about it. As far as I knew, I only knew Mormonism. I don't remember "not being mormon."

Date: October 16, 2014 02:42PM

wanderinggeek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes....my Mom and Dad! :(
>
>
> I was 3...I remember playing with Missionaries a
> few years after we had joined after we moved to
> England. But that's about it. As far as I knew, I
> only knew Mormonism. I don't remember "not being
> mormon."

Wow.

I felt that.

What is it, some kind of infectious disease?

OK mom, we're a peculiar people but why can't I be like my friends who aren't pickled people?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 02:26PM

Yep. Great-great-great grandfather, a grandson of French immigrants living in England.
Was converted (and baptized) by Parley P. Pratt in England.
Immediately made plans to join "the saints" in the US.
Put himself and family on a boat to New Orleans.
Got sick upon arrival in New Orleans, along with his wife.
Both died there.
The oldest 3 of their 5 kids went to join the "saints," leaving the youngest two behind (apparently placed with "caring families).
One of the three kids died on the way to Iowa.
The two who made it went across the plains to Utah.
Great-great grandad (the boy who made it to Utah, and who had married on the pioneer trail) was assigned to homestead the Panguitch area of central Utah by Brigham.
After a few years there, he took a second wife -- a young Australian convert orphan.
I came from him and wife #2 :)

Posted by: fleheruyj ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 02:58PM

My gggGrandfather, Thomas W McBridew was baptized in the summer of 1831, in Ohio. He was later killed at Haun's Mill.
His daughter married my ggGrandfather, William M Pope in Nauvoo in 1841. Three of their daughters married gGrandfather Bagley who was a second generation member. We gave it a good run, time to move on.

Posted by: Linda C ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:22PM

One of my cousins converted. That branch of the family....dirtbags just dirty dumb dirtbags...all of them.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:23PM

See "Missionary Moments" column, back page of "The Church News" of July 4, 1976.

Posted by: Third Vision ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:28PM

Dunn's original question is a good one, but the answer is obvious. OF COURSE we know who infected our family tree with Mormonism. The whole system is set up to worship your ancestors for making the "right" decision. Being called "blessed" by your descendants used to be part of the value proposition of Mormonism.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:29PM

That would have happened in Hartford, Conn. in the mid 1800's where the Burr family, in a stupendous lapse of good judgement, drank the Kool-Aid. That led to a voyage on the MORG chartered ship Brooklyn around the tip of S. America eventually arriving in San Francisco....and then Utah...where I have thousands of cousins I haven't met. Had all that not happened, I wouldn't be writing this now.

Ron Burr

Date: October 16, 2014 03:33PM

They should have stayed in San Francisco.

Date: October 16, 2014 04:01PM

Third Vision Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They should have stayed in San Francisco.

Yeah, Samuel Brannon, who beat Brigham Dung as the first Mormon Millionaire might have been a better bet.

But then who knows, they were both blood atoners if you happened to disagree.

Praise the Lard were still here to tell the tale!

Date: October 17, 2014 10:18PM

you got a bone to pick, perchance, Third Vision?

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 11:32PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: October 18, 2014 04:21AM

It's not at all obvious to me why they would have been happier in Utah than in San Francisco. Would you care to explain?

Date: October 18, 2014 01:39PM

OK...I see where you're coming from...and you're probably right on choosing locations. The families that stayed in California got into logging and mining and the ones who moved on to Utah were farmers, establishing the community of Burrville, east of Richfield....Winter in the Utah mountains or winter in SF...tough choice,,,NOT....anyway, I was concerned you'd had an unpleasant interaction with a member of the family...I know some of 'em are pretty strident TBM's. That's why I have almost nothing to do with them.

Ron Burr

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 03:59PM

You made me look.

Turns out I'm seventh generation mormon not just sixth. Ugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2014 03:59PM by crom.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 05:03PM

Just my parents, thank goodness. They were both converts. Only ones on either side. At family reunions/get togethers, my dad's siblings would rib him about being mormon. It was embarrassing. Even as a little kid, I knew Mormonism was weird. The good thing is I don't have to put up with mormon crap from anyone in the family.

Posted by: funeraltaters ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 09:32PM

My TBM grandma does a lot of family history stuff, so I have done a lot of reading on my ancestors. I believe my first relative to drink the Kool-aid did so over the pond near Manchester England. This great great......great grandfather, his wife, and in-laws sailed across the pond, then took a steamboat up the Mississippi river to trek across the plains and be with the saints in Zion. This was around 1857 I believe. Incredible. 150+ years of bondage to a crazy ass cult is finally being broken by little old me in 2014. My future kids will be the first generation of my line since the mid 1800s who won't suffer at the hands of this twisted organization.

Posted by: anonomousetoo ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 11:09PM

Bad economic times in the 70's. Neighbors were loosing there jobs in the factories and not being able to make the loan payments on their farms.

Many of the youth were into partying with drugs and alcohol.\
Parents were having hard economic times since people were behind in payments to the business also, possible divorce.

Missionaries showed up and fooled us with their good news of their Gospel. Bought it for too many years before we woke up to the falseness of the grandious promises and how ridiculous they were. We worked at calling thinking we were serving and showing faith and are now so sorry for teaching in a Primary or other callings and have family members still blind to the con.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 16, 2014 11:25PM

Ummmmmmmm ... the hooligan who infected my family was me! I'm a convert. (Just slap me now).

;o)

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 12:05AM

One of my ggggrandfathers was mentioned in the Doctrine and Covenants. I guess Joseph Smith and his cronies infected him.

One of my ggggrandfathers fell in love with a Mormon girl. Oops!

Some of my ancestors in northern Europe appear to have been snagged by missionaries and they crossed the sea to go live in the paradise that they thought Utah would be.

Sad. Just so sad.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:52AM

He has since left the church himself, so our friendship continues after over 20 years.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 04:23AM

I like to call these people "apostates," because they apostatized from the church of their ancestors, in their homeland in Europe.

On my mother's side, my ancestor was one of Joseph Smith's counselors. He was also a polygamist. He married two sisters, but the younger sister (my ancestor) had to wait until she was of legal age, so she stayed in a Mormon household, where she was trained into society--manners, table etiquette, comportment, posture, sewing, cooking, etc. In the meantime, the older sister, the first wife had several children. My ancestor married her, and took both wives across the plains. Both were pregnant, and both gave birth on the journey. The older sister died in childbirth, so my ancestor took care of all of her sister's children, as well as nursed the two newborns. These two (or is it one) families produced several General Authorities and two church presidents.

None of the ancestors on my father's side were polygamists, but they didn't hold high church positions, either. They were close neighbors of Joseph Smith, and he hooked them into his cult. My female ancestor's father disapproved of her marrying a Mormon, who was a close friend to the crook, Joseph Smith, but he gave her a dowry, anyway, of a covered wagon and four oxen, for the journey to Utah. Her husband sold their house. Unfortunately her husband died before they left, so Joseph Smith and the cult took her wagon and oxen, and gave them to another family. She was told, "A woman alone can't make the journey--you need a man--so you must give up your worldly goods to the church, so others can make the journey in your place. The cult came first, and she gave up her transportation, and remained behind that winter in Winter Quarters. She and her children survived the winter living in a cave! Eventually, she hitched a ride with someone else, and got to Utah. Out of that family came some strong women--one of the first woman missionaries, a General Relief Society president, women active in the Republican Party (when all the Mormons were Democrats, in that era.), one of the funding founders of BYU Academy, which later became BYU. More of this side of the family has left the cult. The polygamist Prophets' side is still enjoying its "Royalty" status as Stake Presidents, Mission Presidents, General Sunday School Board.

All these ancestors' journals, with the good and bad, and a great deal of truth, have been confiscated by BYU, and haven't been seen since. We think the cult destroyed them. I was privileged to read them, and sorry I didn't disobey orders and make copies.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 03:55PM

David White Rogers converted in New York City, 1837, by Parley P Pratt and Elijah Fordham. Me mum nominally converted to marry dad (in SLC temple), but was always luke warm. I and siblings are sixth generation BIC from that hooligan DW Rogers. It took six freaking generations for the curse to be broken. All four of us siblings left, as did our parents.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 17, 2014 10:25PM

He won't drink coffee, but don't you dare drink his beer!

When he gets on our nerves, we hand him another beer.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 01:52PM

It was my philandering great-grandfathers ticket out of the penal colony of Australia.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 02:29PM

my family members were apparently "friends" of the Smiths and joined in Oct of 1830. They made the trek out west and everything. The one I'm impressed by is a (several Greats) grandmother who escaped out of Utah polygamy with five kids in tow, and into Idaho. She left the church apparently remarried and died in Idaho I think around 1908. Within one generation, my family had missionaries knock on their door and they freaking rejoined the cult.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 18, 2014 07:58PM

Me.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: October 19, 2014 10:23AM

Yes- Me! But that's done now, lol.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.