Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 02:03PM

This was top and center on cnn.com a few mins ago

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/10/13/vatican-proposes-stunning-shift-on-gays-lesbians/?hpt=hp_t1

Catholic church stunning shift on gays.

It says they still think that marriage should be between man and woman only.

The report states:

“Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer to the Christian community. Are we capable of welcoming these people, guaranteeing to them a fraternal space in our communities? Often they wish to encounter a church that offers them a welcoming home. Are our communities capable of providing that, accepting and valuing their sexual orientation, without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony?”

So...when will the LDS Church follow suit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 02:06PM

That sounds a lot like the current LDS position. Until they openly support marriage equality, there is no meaningful difference.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 02:08PM

Follow suit with what? Wanting to take advantage of whatever gifts and qualities homosexuals can offer to the Church without admitting they are full-fledged people? I think the Mormon Church led that suit.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 02:10PM

This seems to be in the beginning stages. Maybe we should wait and see what happens before deciding what we think.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 02:16PM

Wait and see? They released a statement, and therefore had the opportunity to move to the right side of this issue. Like the LDS Church, the Pope will eventually right this wrong, but they missed the opportunity to start leading right away.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 02:12PM

It's probably just like the mo-church. Gay people are fine as long as they live a life of celibacy, alone and unloved forever.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 02:17PM

This is more of how I think of what the church does. They say its ok IF you stay alone and never "act." But I don't know of them being ok with couples. So from what I read...its different then the lds church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.