Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: healing4peace ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 01:13AM

Someone on my facebook posted this today. It annoyed me to no end.

http://brittanybullen.com/blog/meet-this-mormon/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 11:14AM

Very annoying.

The church is not anti-feminist?

The church doesn't hate gay people?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 11:26AM

Well, let's see. The church doesn't practice polygamy? Then why can men be married in the temple more than once "for all eternity?"

The church loves gay people as long as they don't act gay, and feminists unless they want equal power. And Mormons just want to be friends with you? Some do, but many don't, unless you convert.

Posted by: real ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 11:40AM

Misconceptions?

"We do believe that our church is the only one that has the whole truth. Most churches do. Otherwise what’s the point of organizing a church at all, am I right?"

-> Actually most churches don't believe their particular denomination is the only one path to god.

"This Church has nothing whatever to do with those practicing polygamy"

-> Except starting the practice in the first place...

"We Don’t Think You’re Going to Hell"

-> You are just going to a lower kingdom, where you will be servants to those of us in higher kingdoms.

Check out http://www.metthemormons.com for a more accurate description of Mormonism.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:14PM

Notice how they ignore all of the *actual* problems and issues, and blame people who think they're wacky for having "misconceptions..."

No, don't look over here at the proven-false BoA, "lamanite" DNA, archeology, first-vision contradictions, etc. etc. etc.
Look over here, at the fact we don't actually practice living polygamy anymore! Aren't we wonderful?!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:36PM

Nice 9 negatives "we aren't..." and only one positive, "We like you."

Tell me truths about your religion and let the truths convince me to look deeper into your religion, not a bunch of what you aren't.

Posted by: Done! ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:51PM

No amount of "empirical" evidence will change her mind? Her future seems full of intellectual boredom to me. No need to pursue any information.

Posted by: Lost on a beach ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 01:11PM

I don't know what church she's been attending, or reading about, but it isn't the LDS one I know about.

My first thought about how she isn't getting her own planet was:"Of course not. Girls don't get planets. Their husbands do. Along with all of the other chicks he'll have to knock up to populate it."
Technically, she was honest about it. But either she's thick, the reward of the CK has changed recently, or she's lying for the lord.

Posted by: pianoforte ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 01:17PM

I'm a teenager.

I was TAUGHT we were becoming gods and getting a planet in the afterlife.

I see some discrepancies...

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 01:22PM

Most of what Mormons call "misconceptions about Mormons" are actually misconceptions they have about themselves and how they are perceived.

Nobody is afraid of Mormons. Nobody cares what they believe. Most people view Mormons as nice, decent, though deluded folks.

People do care, though, about their friends and loved ones throwing away their lives for a real estate development corporation masquerading as a church.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 01:28PM

Most Mormons have misconceptions about the foundings of their church... and what it has taught and practiced throughout the years.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 01:43PM

"We do believe that our church is the only one that has the whole truth. Most churches do. Otherwise what’s the point of organizing a church at all, am I right?"

There. You just made Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, Maher, et al.'s argument for them. Because you sincerely believe you've got the "whole truth," forevermore, you'd be perfectly happy with complete spiritual and political hegemony. If you can't get it, you're actively looking forward to the day when an Armageddon will usher in full totalitarian control via deus ex machina. You're completely disinterested in whether the Earth survives because you hope that all of the "Others" will be washed off the planet. "And all religions think this way! Otherwise, what's the point of organizing a religion? Am I right?!" Yeah. You're probably right. That's why the political atheists see you, and the religion you rode in on, the same way they see all fascists, as a clear and present threat to the peace and security of the world.

The undeniable fact that you not only haven't got the "whole truth," but the things that make your religion unique haven't got even partial truth (Lamenites, BoA, Jaredite barges, rock-in-hat, con-man/sexual deviant founder, the list goes on), adds insult to the injury of (in the words of Kirby) a Utah Gooberish version of world domination. It makes patriots, democrats with a small "d," sick.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.