Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:11AM

Recently I was listening to a YouTube video by an ex-JW, who was talking about people being disfellowshipped by the organization (that's what they call excommunication) even after showing repentance for some infraction. I don't actually know if JWs have a process of confessing to the elders, or if they were just talking about situations where someone has turned you in to the elders for breaking the rules, but anyway -- the maker of the video pointed out that while excommunication does have support in the New Testament (can't remember where, but it is there), the passage makes it sound like it is only intended for people in the congregation who do NOT repent.

And it made me think -- if you feel bad enough about something you've done to go to the bishop and confess, it's pretty clear you've repented in your heart and it doesn't make sense for either the JWs or the Mormons to then punish you, especially by excommunication or anything like it. According to the Bible, it's apparently only meant to be used to protect a church from someone who is not repentent and who will probably keep doing whatever it was he did wrong.

That's how it works in Catholicism. If you confess to a priest, you will be forgiven and the only strings attached may be making restitution to any injured party involved, and possibly turning oneself in to the secular authorities if a serious crime was committed. The Catholic church doesn't terminate or restrict your membership if you've already repented enough to get your butt into the confessional and ask for forgiveness.

Just one more example of the LDS church deviating from mainstream Christianity. I'm not a Christian myself and don't really believe in sin to begin with, but thought I'd share the insight for those who might be interested.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:21AM

"That's how it works in Catholicism."

not if your mistake is marrying the wrong person

"The Catholic church doesn't terminate or restrict your membership..."

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Divorced-Catholics-hope-Vatican-will-welcome-them-5815018.php

from the article:

"In the eyes of the church, a Catholic who divorces and remarries outside the church without an annulment -- a long and costly process held by a church tribunal -- is banned from receiving Holy Communion. The church doctrine has pained and alienated many divorced Catholics, some of whom have left the church angry that they can't partake in a ritual of their faith."

Date: October 13, 2014 01:04AM

That is an example of someone who has NOT repented, gone to confession, and stopped committing the "sin." Not even close to the same situation.

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 09:56AM

you are the one making it sound like all you have to do is speak your "sin" to a priest and all is immediately sunshine and rainbows - that simply isn't always the case

the catholic approach to divorcees is to put restrictions on their membership - and it can't be lifted without a very lengthy church court that typically takes at least a year and is far from free

if you want to get an even messier example consider this: a never married lapsed catholic marries a non-catholic divorcee and then decides to return to the church... (hint: this scenario gets ugly)

i agree with your main premise about the JWs and Mormonism but the catholic church is downright draconian when divorce is involved - perhaps you should have used a different church for your example

Posted by: anonymousgirly ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 01:03AM

I read today that Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was exed from the Catholic Church upon her remarriage to Aristotle Onassis.
I also know a guy who can't get baptized in my stake, his wife thinks that him becoming Mormon will annul the marriage.

Date: October 13, 2014 01:05AM

I'm assuming Ari was Greek Orthodox. The Catholic church used to be a lot stricter about only marrying a fellow Catholic.

Since Jackie was a widow, she was free to remarry. She wasn't divorced.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 04:48AM

Screen Name Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm assuming Ari was Greek Orthodox. The Catholic
> church used to be a lot stricter about only
> marrying a fellow Catholic.
>
> Since Jackie was a widow, she was free to remarry.
> She wasn't divorced.
===============================================
But HE (Onassis) WAS divorced, and the catholic church recognizes greek orthodox marriages so it considered him still married. So she was "living in sin and not repentent". I don't know if she was exed but she was barred from the catholic sacraments like commumion.

Same thing happened to my mom except dad was a divorced methodist. A priest told my mom she was going to hell for marrying dad, even told her that if he saw her get run over by a bus he would not give her last rites. He refused to pray with mom & dad when dad's mom was dying because of their big-time "sin".

Mom sayz dad's worth goin to hell for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2014 04:50AM by The StalkerDog™.

Date: October 13, 2014 05:14AM

I don't really know much about Jackie's life. That's funny, what your mom said. :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 05:32AM

She wouldn't be exed for that. Worst case, she might have been denied communion by *some* priests. Many or most priests would look the other way.

Posted by: Robert Hall ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 10:43AM

If you repent the Lord does not remember your sins.

If you tell anyone in L-d$,inc it is written and they will keep it as ammunition to use forever.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 10:48AM

I just could never get past why TF you'd ever confess ANYTHING to a bishop? Just makes no sense. None of their fucking business.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2014 07:17PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 03:49PM

Because if she were to "repent of her sin" she would be like sayin that her marrying dad was wrong and a bad thing to do. NO WAY she says. She says it's the best day's work she ever did, and she would do it again ANYtime!

She don't know if she is exed or not, and she don't care. Funny thing though; you know a serial killer like Gacy and an ole gangster like Gotti can be buried in "consecrated ground"- a catholic cemetery, mom ain't allowed that when she croaks. Be a shame if her evil old self contaminated the place, huh?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.