Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:07PM

Living in Utah, you get inundated by everything Mormon. Every media outlet has been touting "meet the Mormons" & their glowing reviews. I like this guy's;

Folks, I'm not Mormon but live I Utah. This is nothing but a propaganda stunt! The Mormons have a highly staffed, highly paid, highly influential propaganda machine (think Germany in the 1920's). You have to live here to fully appreciate their reach. The Mormons own the local NBC station, a major newspaper & countless radio stations. Most of the reviews come from newly minted accounts. They've been told to barrage social media & websites to promote this slop. "Lying for the Lord" is what they call it. Our local theaters had tables set up to GIVE AWAY tickets to boost numbers. Larry H. Miller (deceased-big Mormon) owns a lot of the Megaplex's in Utah. They wouldn't show "Brokeback Mountain" but will promote this tripe. Some Stakes (think 5 churches) purchased all the tickets for their members. It's all smoke & mirrors. Don't waste your money on this self promoting, narcissistic, infomercial.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:11PM

you nailed it.

Posted by: heltz ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:18PM

So how long until missionaries hand out DVDs of "Meet the Mormons?"

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:25PM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> self promoting, narcissistic, infomercial.

That's the perfect description, from what I'm reading about it.

Posted by: i finally left ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:27PM

My daughter who just transferred to BYU this fall, told me a few weeks ago how excited she was to see it. Sigh... I tried as gently ans subtly as I could to alert her to the fact that the mormons portrayed in the movie are in no way an accurate representation of a typical cross-section of the mormon demographics.

She's loving BYU. I have told her about kinderhook plates, Book of Abraham, polyandry, showed her temple garments (which did gross her out), but to no avail. She is meeting more and more mormons who are absolutely comfortable being "buffet" mormons - so since she likes the culture / structure - she thinks that's probably what she'll do. Ugh - super curious to see if this translates into some day getting married in the temple. She's a smart girl - but also loves to "do right" and be seen doing right. The positive reinforcement she'd get from "everyone" just might propel her towards doing just that.

I can only imagine the aggravation I'll face if that day comes...

Thanks for letting me vent!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.