Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:43AM

This is odd. DN refers to the movie as a "he":

"Meet the Mormons," a new documentary-style movie from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, ranked No. 10 in box office sales nationwide in his first day of release.

As for the rest of the article, I have a hard time believing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2014 11:44AM by wine country girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 07:07PM

Number 11.

It will be interesting to see where it falls next weekend, after all the momos that were assigned to attend, don't, being that they completed their assignment the weekend before.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2014&wknd=41&p=.htm

(By the way, if you want to see a fun, cute movie, go see boxtrolls. Well done. My adult children and I loved it.)

(Woops, and to Joe Smith down below, I wasn't plagiarizing your link. It's where google took me as well. Go figure.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2014 07:09PM by schlock.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 01:26PM

For a new movie opening, that's embarrassing! It flopped and it flopped hard! Now watch it sink even faster at the box office!Opening at #1-#5 is where you want your movie on opening weekend. Not #10. Being tenth place is nothing to brag about.

Since it's a infomercial nobody want to be preached at the movie theater. The title alone makes it sound like a missionary tool.
In this day and age infomercials are on 365/24/7 on TV.Maybe if it was a movie with a plot people would of shelled out their money to see it. But having morg stake presidents, bishops etc reading letters from the GA's like Holland over the past several weeks harping on members to go see this didn't help it one bit.

If the morg wants to get into the movie business they need to learn from the big mainstream studios in Hollywood! Heck even their movies like "Noah", "God's Not Dead" and " Heaven is For Real" did better than the morg's infomercial opening weekend! It also helped that they starred recognizable Hollywood movie stars!!

Posted by: Joe_Sm ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 04:11PM

Projections have "Meet the Mormons" coming in at 11 for the weekend. The movie pulled in ~1.2 million both FRI and SAT, which was good enough for 10th. Sunday's box office, however, pretty much sank the movie.

Eleventh place is not horrible for a small independent movie. That is unless you take into consideration that TSCC pushed the movie... and made it required viewing for all TBMs.

I also suspect the movie to have a tremendous drop off going into week 2. All of the TBM (those foolish enough to drop money on that crap) have seen it. Certainly no one else is going to drop dollar-dollar bills on Mormon propaganda.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2014-10-12&p=.htm

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 05:24PM

$3.3 M is probably going to be the all time total, not just the first weekend. If they're lucky.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 01:47PM

It's kind of like the old joke about the world competition in some sport years ago where there were only two teams entered, the US and the USSR. The US won.

Headlines in the Soviet Union read: "USSR comes in second, US next to last!"

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 07:20PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 01:50PM

The article quotes as the source of its box-office rankings "the LDS church."
Meanwhile, out in the real world, weekend box-office numbers aren't computed and released until Monday morning by any of the ranking/tracking companies.

Oops.

It will be interesting to see what the numbers from the companies who do this for a living -- and not the LDS church -- say on Monday. I won't make any predictions, I'll wait for actual, verifiable data :)

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 02:50PM

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 02:07PM

It's ranking is based on viewings by Mormons. So not surprising it is #10 nationwide (this week) and #1 in some areas. When you're told "by your leaders" to go see it, one would expect a huge turnout. Again all LDS members and a third of those were probably family members "forced" to go by their TBM family. This will die down in another week while the other movies that came out the same time will maintain for several more weeks.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 02:07PM

I just read in the SLTrib, comments to Kirby's column that a local bank was handing out free tickets to see the movie. THAT's how you sell out the seats and get Mormons to go!

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 02:13PM

If there are 'officially' 7 million Mormons in the US, there are probably fewer than half that number. So say, generously, 3.5 million. Take away the shut ins and those too young, how many left in the audience? I don't know but that's probably fewer than 3 million.

How many million viewers are needed to make a substantial box office? I don't know the answer, but it seems like there are only so many seats they can sell.

Date: October 12, 2014 06:43PM

$2.4 Million would be 240,000.

However, the reported gross may include entire viewings that were bought by wealthy TBMS, wards, or TBM bishops to guarantee a movie house would show the film in their city. They then gave away tickets for "free", and who knows how many butts were actually in those seats.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 02:38PM

Forbes *just* put out a new article on the (estimated) weekend box-office. It says:

"Meet the Mormons is basically what it sounds like. The Purdie-distributed documentary about six Mormons from around the world going about their lives debuted with around $3.5m in 317 theaters (there is no official Fri-Sun estimate, but it earned $2.44m on Fri and Sat)."

That's 3.5 million dollars (estimated). At $8-$10 per ticket. So that's around 350,000 - 430,000 tickets sold.

"Box Offices" studio weekend estimates put "meet the mormons" at...nowhere. It doesn't show up on either the wide-release or limited release charts. At all.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/studio_estimate/2014-10-12

Date: October 12, 2014 02:55PM

all the TBMs will be in their 3-hour meetings, right?

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 03:03PM

Sigh...now we have to read about how "Meet The Mormons" was inspired, and how it is the most perfect movie ever made, and how the sclepps who made it never had any formal schooling in film making, and next to Gone With The Wind and Star Wars, it is predicted to be one of the best selling movies of all time.

So, the Red Cross gets a share, only if the movie makes money. It probably won't break even, so all that is moot. Why doesn't the LDS, Inc just donate to the Red Cross outright? Oh, silly me, they want free publicity for the movie, and they want the cult to look "internationally normal," and no one is going to follow up on exactly how much the Mormons actually give to the Red Cross, because Mormon books are sealed. Just another example of Mormon con-men at work.

Posted by: LTom Petty ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 03:03PM

Talked to a family member today living in the morridor. She went to the movie. Her Stake paid for it. They are buying up tickets and telling the members to go.

I asked her if it was worth paying $10.00 to see. She said, "Oh, no, I wouldn't pay money to see it."

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 03:28PM

And this, if I recall correctly, is precisely what the Church of Scientology did with "Battlefield Earth" to artificially inflate its numbers.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 04:03PM

You recall correctly ;-)

Date: October 12, 2014 07:41PM

How do that with that movie? It was a really weird science fiction movie to begin with!!

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 03:47PM

LTom Petty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Her Stake paid for it.

No, "Her stake" did not pay for it. Her tithing money paid for it. Without asking her.

Posted by: southernutah ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 04:15PM

LTom Petty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Talked to a family member today living in the
> morridor. She went to the movie. Her Stake paid
> for it. They are buying up tickets and telling the
> members to go.
>
> I asked her if it was worth paying $10.00 to see.
> She said, "Oh, no, I wouldn't pay money to see
> it."

that how Scientology operates with books author by the great Ron L. Howard , they make their followers to buys book so they can move up in the amazon ranks

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 03:52PM

Bingo...

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 05:47PM

"We want as many people as possible to see this film," said Elder Jeffery R. Holland, a member of the church's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, in a September video directed at church members. "As with any theatrical film, our success will depend on box-office performance during the opening weekend. How long the film will be available in theaters will depend on that." Holland then recommends that followers share the trailer on social media, request that local theaters play the film, or even "buy out a showing for a group."

http://www.cityweekly.net/TheDailyFeed/archives/2014/10/10/meet-the-mormons-likely-to-be-surprise-hit-thanks-to-lds-church-putting-pressure-on-members

More details at the above link.

Date: October 12, 2014 05:48PM

The quote below is from the Comments section below a Kirby essay on the Salt Lake Tribune website:

LaGryphon
After exiting the movie The Judge I noticed a line of people around the lobby of the theater. My curiosity was peaked so I asked someone standing in line what movie were they in line for. She oh so proudly said a local bank was handing out "free" tickets to see Meet the Mormons. And that folks is how you get Mormons to go see a Mormon movie.....FREE TICKETS! That tells the true story of how LD$ Inc and their members conduct themselves.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:14PM

If its free whether it is a movie or free Arctic Circle cones, the Mormons will be there.

Posted by: Nolongerin not logging in ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 05:50PM

Meet the Mormons is just as popular as Book of Mormon: the Musical.

NOT!!!!!!!

Date: October 12, 2014 05:52PM

The text below is excerpted from the article on the City Weekly website:

Though Holland makes it clear that purchasing a ticket for the movie “is not a commandment or a requirement,” some church members, especially those out of state, where the film is being heavily marketed, say that they've been pressured by local wards and stakes to buy tickets for opening weekend because local church leadership has already bought the tickets.

A member of the Redlands California stake, who wished to remain anonymous, told City Weekly that her local theater wasn't going to show Meet the Mormons because of poor ticket sales. But that changed when her ward bought out the show.

"My Relief Society president e-mailed everyone in the ward and said, 'You have to buy these tickets because the movie isn't going to be shown unless you do.' Then the stake purchased all the seats, and now the ward is saying to buy tickets through them rather than the theater. So yeah, there's been a lot of guilt for us to buy these tickets so they can get their money back."

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 08:00PM

I still can't believe how this DOA flop is plastered all over the net.

Maybe spend more cash on substance than publicity next time Tomass?

Posted by: anon and on and on ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:01PM

Box Office Mojo estimates "Meet the Mormons" finishing the weekend with $2.7 million and 11th place. If you divide the total dollars for the weekend by $2.7 million, "Meet the Mormons" got 1.8% of total ticket sales.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Date: October 12, 2014 09:07PM

That means it's hardly a blip on moviegoers radar!! It's still embarrassing to be at #11 opening weekend!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.