Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:32AM

This is how it works. TBMs spout to other TBMs the party line with justifications.

We went out with our TBM friends last night and I lied to them. I said I didn't know that LDS Inc. had produced a mainstream movie. I knew it but I couldn't even get through the webpage someone put here about it let alone the trailer. All of what I've gotten in gleaned second hand here.

So I feigned ignorance. Well they talked it up and told us (my wife had only heard it existed) some of the people in it and how cool it was because it was supposed to be made just for Temple Square in SLC but that the reviews for it were so good that the leaders decided to send it out to the world.

They have some relatives in local LDS leadership here.

They asked us if after our meal we wanted to go see it. I told them that I wasn't interested. I'm the guy that has nothing to do with LDS anything so I was surprised that they asked us to go. I told them no.

They said that they really didn't want to go either and that family was pressuring them to go because "every member needs to go see it in the theaters so it will get good numbers and play longer." I told them that I wasn't interested in going. Then they said that they will see it but they didn't want to pay all that money to see it in theaters. I chuckled inside thinking that after paying LDS Inc. 10 percent of your income you didn't want to pay box office prices for their film? Go figure.

We all went shopping instead and they probably spent as much on stuff shopping as they could have seeing "Meet the Mormons." We bought a Royals T-shirt for $12. It was a miracle. Seriously, Royals stuff right now if crazy. So finding one Royals T-shirt was literally a miracle for my wife. This next week is Royals Week at work for her.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2014 08:56AM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 13, 2014 08:58AM

Topping because all TBMs aren't total lemmings. I was surprised that my neighbors didn't rush off to see it.

Also topping because I think the Royals game might be rained out. There goes the miracle of finding the Royals T-shirt for my wife.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 10:39AM

I think this movie is cringe-making and some Mormons are smart enough to see realize that. But, like so much of Mormonism, people will see it for two reasons: Because they want to show off what good Mormons they are while having their ego stroked about how good Mormons are. OR they will have been pressured into it by family or ward leaders.

I wonder how many would pay to go see it if they couldn't tell anyone they had gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2014 10:40AM by CA girl.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:35PM

How many mormons what to see the movie but don't want to pay to see it? They're waiting for it to come to the dollar theaters, DVD or netflix. I doubt any of them will put a ticket stub in the tithing envelop instead of their $10.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:53PM

The church just said between conference sessions that the movie will be shown in the legacy theater next year and will also be available on cable and online. Why would ANYONE pay to go see it? TSCC is just trying to recoup their production costs, but they're not going to. Who would even pay for a DVD when the full film is going to be available online?

Date: October 13, 2014 01:29PM

Chump Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who would even pay for
> a DVD when the full film is going to be available
> online?

That is my neighbor's take and he is going to do this in direct opposition from his relatives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.