Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:05PM

Pretend you are an apostle. You can NEVER retire. You look at brother what's-his-name in your home ward who is 70, never has to work, enjoys his family, goes on cruise ships, watches lots of movies. You are envious of him. You think to yourself, I know he doesn't believe the Church is really true, but he doesn't have to testify. He just enjoys Church. On the other hand, I have to testify! I have to tell everybody that I "know" the Church is true. The apostle rationalizes his testimony bearing. He tells himself that since he works so hard, and can never retire, that it is okay if he lies once in awhile. He has the right to lie.

Bishops may feel similarly. A bishop who works 40 hours a week as a bishop looks at the Sunday School teacher who works 10 hours a week as a Sunday School teacher, but never bears his testimony. The bishop hates working so hard, and he tells himself that if he only had to work 10 hours a week, his conscience would not let him lie, but since it unfair that he has to work 40 hours a week, his conscience will allow him to lie. It is unfair that his calling requires him to look like a great spiritual leader, while the Sunday School Teacher's calling doesn't require him to look that way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Robert ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:22PM

They are never questioned, get all kinds of perks, their children and grandchildren are treated like royalty, and they never have to pay anything.

As for "working" hard, they don't. If they can't show up, people make excuses.

Frankly, they are really parasites that never appreciate the people who work hard to support their regal lifestyles, and the lifestyles of the losers in their families.

You know they look down on the membership rather than showing any appreciation.

Pigs, ever last one of them, their children and especially their grandchildren.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:19AM

"They are never questioned, get all kinds of perks, their children and grandchildren are treated like royalty, and they never have to pay anything."

That may be true...but did ANY of those senior leaders look happy during the GC? Do they ever??

Joel osteen, Rev Schuler, Jimmy Swaggart, etc (all snakeoil salesmen..)..ALL seem to look like they enjoy the "Spirit" they have...at least at certain times..

How anyone stays mormon with the depressing people they call leaders, speaking at the various conferences...I don't understand

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:24PM

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:55PM

behindcurtain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the other hand, I have to
> testify! I have to tell everybody that I "know"
> the Church is true. >

Hmmm...the way you describe apostles, they literally spend every day telling every person they encounter that the church is true. That has not been my observation and I would bet my life savings that the poor, grunt full-time missionaries bear their testimonies of the truthfulness of the Church to members and strangers alike FAR more frequently than any apostle ever does.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 01:36AM

"On the other hand, I have to testify!" Really? When, at conference maybe? that's about all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2014 01:36AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 03:43AM

"(the one upsmanship of the wives if awful, according to this Q70)." - GEE that is so Christian huh? NOT! Are people really supposed to think they are Christian? THeir behavior YELLS "WE ARE NOT CHRISTIAN, WE ARE HATEFUL CREEPS."

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:13AM

Observation of Q12 indicates they love the adoration, but at times would prefer to be left alone. At the airport, when I see them, they typically walk quickly with theirs down, with the "do not disturb" sign hanging out (figuratively speaking).

I have only known one Q70 very well, and prior to becoming emeritus, he stated he would not wish the life on anyone. He hated the politics and internal fighting, and his wife hated it even worse (the one upsmanship of the wives if awful, according to this Q70).

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:25AM

I don't think they like it as much as you think. They are sure complaining about the criticism and that it would be nice if we stopped criticizing their blunders.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:53AM

I read a story about Hinckley chewing out some general authorities. Apparently the baptism statistics weren't nearly high enough for the true church led by a true prophet. Hinckley wanted them to try harder, much harder. I suspect that these were seventies, not apostles, and that Hinckley would have used innuendo rather than anger in dealing with the Twelve.

Anyway, it occurred to me that there's only one thing worse than being abused by a clueless, tyrannical boss who wants you to destroy your own integrity to sell a seriously defective product. And that would be enduring such abuse while you're wearing a funny hat. I don't envy those seventies anything they might appear to enjoy. Their life is not pleasant, productive, or meaningful.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.