Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brook ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:29PM

For private reasons this is a huge point of contention for me. Why do Mobots have to get married at 19!? It is so wrong to me. Even the Duggars don't marry until years later. And I thought they were crazier than Mobots. but they're really not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:32PM

Because when you strap a young person to an "eternal companion" who buys into the church dogma, and strap them down with children, and all the other investments and commitments that go into a marriage before they are old enough to really think about what they're doing...well, they are, in theory, "sealed" to the church.

It's insurance for the Church, to promote early marriage and breeding.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:38PM

Because when you strap a young person to an "eternal companion" who buys into the church dogma, and strap them down with children, and all the other investments and commitments that go into a marriage before they are old enough to really think about what they're doing...well, they are, in theory, "sealed" to the church.

It's life insurance for the Church, to promote early marriage and breeding.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:50PM

I know many Mormons that got married at 21 and older. That seems to be the pattern now days in most of the country.

Posted by: nevermoaz ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 05:43PM

Well...yes and no. See, in the Duggars belief system, the younger they are they more you can pop out. Michelle herself was 17 when she got married. There are two schools of thought on why the Duggar girls are older to get married.

Now, with all of the publicity they have, can you imagine Jim Bob giving permission for a 17 year old girl to marry? Public outcry would be huge, because Daddy is the one that approves of the boy before "courting" commences. It's not uncommon for Gothardites to marry them incredibly young. Hell, the eldest girl, Jana, is already looked at as an old maid. At 24.

If you watch the show carefully, the older girls do all the work. Michelle hands the babies over after six months to a "buddy" who assumes care. The older girls cook, clean, homeschool, etc. Now, would you marry off your helpers?

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 08:45PM

Huge sore spot for me, too. I am single at 34. All through my LDS life, I dreamed if marriage and family. I had a missionary, and he wanted us married. I knew we were too young, and I didn't want a life with him. I broke it off. Long story short, I couldn't find a Mormon man I had interest in dating. I am a product of divorce. "Heavenly Father" was supposed to know this, and be my secret helper in finding the man I would marry, since he ordered me to marry and I was a good, temple-worthy woman.
Nope. Most of my cousins/friends/peers were marrying at 19, 20, 21. Ridiculous.
I'm still single, and am glad everyday that I didn't marry young.

Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 08:51PM

Wow you got it easy. So much anger though.

Date: October 11, 2014 08:58PM

Anger at this issue, because there was SO MUCH dogma about getting married. It never ended. I didn't feel meaningless because I was single, but I was reminded constantly that sky daddy WANTED to bless me, but he couldn't because I must have "more to learn" before being blessed with this great blessing. Fuck, I hate the word "blessings".
I love my life!

Date: October 11, 2014 09:16PM

Feel like an idiot. What's dogma imply?

Date: October 11, 2014 09:23PM

Indoctrination, lesson after lesson, reinforced by the surrounding culture.

Date: October 11, 2014 10:03PM

That sums it up. Got really sick of hang my head case I wasn't good enough at single activities cause I was temple carrying fool, a rm, a active member but was a disfellowship guy with a desire to do my own dawn thing on sudays. You know I got to the point of thinking a all Mormon girls were more right ones and walked on water. I got to the point that a good wholesome date on sundays was gping to a fireside. Man what a waste. rights

Date: October 11, 2014 10:56PM

Today this day I pat my brother and sister for getting married. Brother hit 5th and is strong in their marriage and sis was put in the e.r. a few time before divorcing. He's in a fed pen for other issues. Best thing out this is they are getting their young ones knock out Feb ore they hit 25. Me? 40 and not looking forward to having to put kids through preteen and teen yrs at 50ish. Oh well. I can always marry some one who has grandkids at 40. Eeekkk! My new future bride will a grandma!!! Man. As I have posted early an article; it's normal for the middle age guy ( man I feel old) to chase twenty somethings. Problem is most gals I dated in their 20's couldn't cook.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:28PM

greengobbleyguck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...it's normal for the middle age guy ( man
> I feel old) to chase twenty somethings. Problem
> is most gals I dated in their 20's couldn't cook.

Heck, man, you, yourself, ought to be able to cook! Find a nice 35-year-old lady, with or without kids, go shopping together, and cook.

Courtship has changed, you know!

Posted by: greengobbleyguck. ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:55AM

Sure has. Who's has time for cooking these days with work and school and more work. Courting is a trip to mcds. Haha.

Posted by: clearlynow100 ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 10:47PM

Anger would be the normal reaction.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 09:30PM

Marriage age is STILL young here in Utah. In fact with tbm it is 18, 19 or 20. Right after the mission for rms. It seems to have gotten even younger than when was married (20)

I remember one our friends in single ward got married at 18, and we were shcked at that.

So I thinkit is worse now, based on what I see all around me.

Posted by: brook ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:27PM

It does seem like it's getting worse. 19 is just too young. Can anyone prove otherwise?

Posted by: finallygetsit ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:07PM

I was 22 - almost 23 when we got married. And at the time (in Utah), I felt like I was almost an old maid by the time I got married. After we moved away from Utah, I felt like I had been a young bride, after all.

And NOW I feel like I was really young. On the other hand, I'd had all three of my children by the time I was 30. They're all adults now & I'm still young enough to enjoy the freedom.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:38PM

You barely even know YOURSELF at ages 19, 20, 21, and you've hardly been around the block - especially if you've been raised in a sheltered mormon upbringing.

I know I was NOT prepared for the MANY unwelcome surprises my so-called TBM, convert, return misshie husband ended up throwing my way. Ultimately - lots of lying, control, verbal abuse, making a huge mess of our finances. Now I'm NOT young anymore, but age 48 - finally figuring this all out - having just finally realized that I INDEED have been in an abusive relationship.

Perhaps this wouldn't have made a difference, but I have to wonder if I had waited till the ripe old age of 23 or 24 - if I may have had just a little more "street smart" sense to see through the type of person my spouse really was. One thing for sure - I wouldn't have used a "BURNING IN MY BOSOM" to determine so important a life decision - had I not been TBM!

Posted by: dazedandconfused123 ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 12:48AM

Yup, I was married at 19 and pregnant the same year. No one blinked an eye!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.