Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:01AM

But rather a plea to their base???

I think it is less about new people and far more about stopping the hemorrhaging.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:17AM

I'm of the same opinion.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:17AM

It could be about getting people to shop at their mall and visit their historical sites.

It could be an attempt to comfort and sooth the current members. I know for certain a lot of major tithe payers have left the local ward in the last 5 years. Who knows whats going on at the stake level. The SP happens to be a person most members despise and have no respect for. He's a person only SLC leadership could love. I wouldn't be surprised if BKP is his role model. When you walk into his office, he points to the pics of the big 15 on the wall and tells you they know your every thought. In fact, they know if you're lying to him or not. Talk about a light bulb moment. Cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 10:02AM

Initially, it is a PR piece meant for internal consumption. However, it will be put out on DVD (just in time for Christmas!) and members will be encouraged to purchase copies as "gifts" for all their family and friends, which they will do and feel good that they could proselytize without actually having to get to know those "others who are of the world". I fully expect to receive several copies.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 10:05AM

I believe its purpose it to show the current members that it's okay to be mormon, and to promote that it's actually a growing, world religion.

Lipstick on the pig, cows are out of the barn, ...

Reactive moves from an organization run by out-of-touch (and self-serving) geriatrics.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 10:24AM

Rather than flail trying to make themselves look diverse, why don't they just make a few simple changes and actually be diverse?

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 10:54AM

with a bit of the ol' WNW (We're not weird!).

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:00AM

I think it's a continuation in inoculating the members. Telling them it's normal AND cool to be a mormon, and to further strengthen their testimony.

The only people that are paying to see this infomercial is Mormons. Made my Mormons for Mormons. The rest of the world can see it for what it is - an infomercial.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 11:35AM

I think it is for internal consumption, primarily. I know that the people in church public affairs are really, really bad at their jobs, but I don't think they are stupid enough to think that any significant numbers of non-mormons would pay money to see their infomercial.

Mormons everywhere are being pressured to go see the movie in theaters. Holland put out his video, letters are being read in church. There are letters from the locals and letters from the Area Seventies. Go see it! Buy out blocks of tickets!

Obviously, PR knows it will completely flop at the box office if Mormons don't go see it. They had to know that from the outset. Otherwise they wouldn't have had to do this huge push.

So what is the purpose? Telling the faithful that they are really cool because they are Mormon, and pushing the line that it's OK to be a little different and be Mormon. Just don't be TOO different!

Posted by: Osh9jonn ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 12:35PM

My dad is a bishop and he received an email from his SP asking him to encourage the members to go see Meet the Mormons. The SP said the more people who go see the movie, the longer it will stay in theaters and hopefully more nonmembers will go see it.

It is playing at our big theater here (Idaho), but not one of my many TBM family, friends, or co-workers have mentioned the movie.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 12:43PM

Our ward is encouraged to go see it too. They said if it gets enough exposure it affects whether or not it will get picked up by netflix or something like that.

It's showing for 5 days at the local movie theater. I'm very tempted to go see a movie (not that one!) just so I can poke my head in there and see how crowded (or empty) that movie is. The only people that I know that are seeing it is about 3-4 people from the ward.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 01:22PM

People buying out the theater for a showing and the rush from the TBMs to see it the first weekend because of urging from their leaders are NOT going to lead to demand in week two. Regardless of numbers they pull out for this weekend I doubt it is going to be around next weekend except in a few places in Utah, and maybe one or two Mormon hotspot communities elsewhere (Gilbert?).

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 01:48PM

mlsmit7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is playing at our big theater here (Idaho), but
> not one of my many TBM family, friends, or
> co-workers have mentioned the movie.

Mormons outside the "morridor" (and sorry, yes, that includes Idaho) might be surprised at the lack of showings.
I actually tried to find it near me (not that I'd pay to see it), San Diego area.
It's playing in *one* theatre. Very far away frome me. With limited showtimes.
I doubt they'll fill up one showing :)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 12:39PM

They are covering several bases with this movie: affirming testimonies emotionally, (the only way they work!), feeling out other people who may be touched and respond, informing the world they are like everyone else by putting a face on their members that is positive. I think they are hoping it will counter some of the negativity also.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 12:46PM

True to all the above. I also believe it will become part of the arsenal used by the missionaries. See were normal, diverse and it's a wonderful place to be.

Of course the missionaries will have to pony up the money for them, which their MP will "encourage" them to do.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 12:50PM

It's rated PG. On the news this morning one reason given for this rating is because of its proselytizing content and concern for the young people who watch it. The rating board appears to see the real intent of the movie is for recruitment so that is reassuring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2014 12:52PM by cynthia.

Posted by: Mr. Politics ( )
Date: October 11, 2014 02:15PM

Brother Romney is going to make another go at achieving the office of POTUS, so showing the folks how "normal" Mormons are in a motion picture format is a part of that plan methinks.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 03:02PM

The title alone makes sound like it's being used as a missionary tool...

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 10:20PM

It's also the Morg's attempt to Google-bury results for the Channel 4 documentary previously produced.

Posted by: Zeniff ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:26PM

deco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But rather a plea to their base???
>
> I think it is less about new people and far more
> about stopping the hemorrhaging.

Yes, I agree. This is exactly what it is.

Posted by: anon333 ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 09:58PM

It is not a proselytizing tool. I know because that's what the bishop told the congregation. He wouldn't say if it wasn't true.

The bishop said it's a way to help people understand the church better and that we should try to get friends to watch the movie. But for some reason I don't understand, it is NOT a proselytizing tool.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 10:10PM

It is not for recruitment. It is for promotion, especially internal.

It is an affront to the charity status given to the LDS church by the US government.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2014 11:09PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 10:21PM

It's about recruitment in the same way that everything they do is about recruitment - I think their primary goal with this is to convince themselves that they are worth making a movie about. This will get the membership excited and thinking that more great things are continuing to happen for the church. In the end, the only people who are going to bother seeing it are Mormons, just like all the stupid memes and facebook pictures. It isn't so much about convincing the rest of the world that Mormons lead exciting, yet normal lives, it's about convincing eachother.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 12, 2014 11:29PM

10% recruitment, 90% retention;
50/50 PR (erase from memory or correct some of the problems with the old thing with the same title)/ tithing campaign to be used in third world countries; 99% (regular members) DO MORE, 1% ("leadership") doing fine.

For Mormoni, it is usually about quantity versus quality. Take this infomercial "movie".

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: October 13, 2014 10:14AM

I buy the explanation that it was originally for the visitor's center and they decided to distribute it.

I think once they calculated that it wouldn't cost them any more money to distribute it, then the reason didn't matter. It will have more of an impact internally (Wow, look there's a real movie about us, we must be the only true church) than provide any more baptisms.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.