Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Already Gone ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 02:17PM

Here are some repeated cliches and quotes that are evidence of what I was saying in my previous threads. They are screaming for us to listen to them and to realize THEY know best.

Lynn Robbins -

“Which way do you face?” President Boyd K. Packer surprised me with this puzzling question while we were traveling together on my very first assignment as a new Seventy. Without an explanation to put the question in context, I was baffled. “A Seventy,” he continued, “does not represent the people to the prophet but the prophet to the people. Never forget which way you face!” It was a powerful lesson.

What Boyd is saying that the church is top down, the prophet speak, you listen.

"For example, some young missionaries carry this fear of men into the mission field and fail to report the flagrant disobedience of a companion to their mission president because they don’t want to offend their wayward companion."

Meaning, you are supposed to be loyal to the church, not your companion. Chose the church and church leader's asinine rules, NOT your companion.

"The scornful often accuse prophets of not living in the 21st century or of being bigoted. They attempt to persuade or even pressure the Church into lowering God’s standards to the level of their own inappropriate behavior Lowering the Lord’s standards to the level of a society’s inappropriate behavior is—apostasy."

The first reference of many this conference of how in touch the leaders are.

"Some members don’t realize they are falling into the same snare when they lobby for acceptance of local or ethnic “tradition of their fathers” (D&C 93:39) that are not in harmony with the gospel culture. Still others, self-deceived and in self-denial, plead or demand that bishops lower the standard on temple recommends, school endorsements, or missionary applications."

Really? You are "in touch" and "not bigoted" but do not what other people's ethnic culture to seep into the church? How is it self denial to explain to your bishop your situation?

"It isn’t easy being a bishop under that kind of pressure. However, like the Savior who cleansed the temple to defend its sanctity (see John 2:15–16), bishops today are called upon to boldly defend the temple standard."

Robbins must believe that there has been a lowering of standards for temple attendence...but really, you can't compare what Christ did to cleanse the temple and asking a member if they believe in Joseph Smith.

"When others demand approval in defiance of God’s commandments, may we always remember whose disciples we are"

He probably is talking about gays. His talk was a defensive one, warning members that their thinking on gay marriage, women's ordination is very wrong.

This one is long because his talk was soooo horrible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 08, 2014 02:20PM

"The snare may be cleverly baited to appeal to our compassionate side to tolerate or even approve of something that has been condemned by God."

I thought we are supposed to be LOVING and CHRISTLIKE?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 02:22PM

I think we need to remember who the audience is. It's people who want to hear these people speak and are interested in what they have to say,go out of their way to be present, or listen intently (or not!), some even remember what they say. The point though, is that they remember that someone they believe is giving them messages cares about their eternal life.
It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or believes.
The messages are for a certain specific audience.

I don't bother to listen or read them unless looking for something specific I want to know as they do not apply to me, are not about my life or my beliefs and are of no real interest to me.They are for someone else that appreciates their messages.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 03:10PM

Yes, the message is for a specific audience. But, the message can have an influence on uninterested parties simply because they have associations with an audience member. While I couldn't care less what the brethren think, I do care what they say because it affects my life with my TBM spouse.

Posted by: rattledaysnakes ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 03:18PM

+1

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:23PM

Hitler wasn't talking to you, either. Yet I'll bet what he had to say had a profound affect on your family and friends.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 02:24PM

I think they should not stop until they've purged every flawed and imperfect soul from within the sacred walls of the church.

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: October 09, 2014 02:38PM

Including themselves.

Date: October 09, 2014 02:38PM

Including themselves.

Date: October 08, 2014 02:27PM

One more thing - it has to do with what we have control over and what we don't. We have no control over the LDS Church, their speakers, what they say, or do how they run their church, spend their money, or anything else. Our opinions don't count for anything as they are not part of how their system works.
Also, the LDS Church leaders are not interested in other people's attitudes and concerns. They are only interested in their own members and reaching out to them.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 02:29PM

Oh, I think they're getting quite concerned.

Date: October 08, 2014 03:17PM

Suzie, didn't you see Packer's quote? They don't care about the little people.

Date: October 09, 2014 02:54PM

Already Gone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Suzie, didn't you see Packer's quote? They don't
> care about the little people.

ahh...no.. what is it??

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 03:04PM

There is only one "$tandard" for attending the temple. And bishops have absolutely zero divine inspiration when it comes to determining who is "worthy." The only thing they have to go on is the concrete one that is handed to them in the form of $$$$ and the receipt to confirm it.

We've all known many people who, upon learning they have been in adulterous relationships, realize they were attending the temple the entire time. There are tons and tons of mormons in the temple who consistently commit fraud, tax evasion, child abuse, domestic violence, evil speaking of the Lard's anointed, embezzlement, are huge gossip mongers, are horribly dishonest and pitifully self righteous. So what has changed to bring down the "standard"? I certainly haven't seen any change in mormon behavior.

The only change has been the number of people who are questioning, are starting to see at least a half-naked emporor, and are getting more and more strapped financially as the faucet on the trickle-down economy has become permanently rusted. It is only human nature to, at some point, stop and say, "If I'm going to sacrifice like this, I want to know, by more than just goosebumps, that I'm doing it for a legitimate reason. That's why they're losing it. The exposure is not stopping.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:28PM

Can you say reckless?

Hey bitch, I'm talking to you!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:37PM

The mormon uppity ups are not concerned about the membership. The church is ALL about the leaders. They don't give a flying rats ass about the members. In fact, I think they enjoy making the lives of members miserable. They've always gotten away with it in the past.

What they don't seem to realize is that the past is just that. Past. The internet is giving the average mormon peon information and courage that they didn't have before. Walking away from mormonism is making sense to more and more members. The leaders are going to be all alone patting themselves on the back. May they reap what they sow.

The mormons and their temples will have no validity until they take the locks off the lockers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2014 10:43PM by madalice.

Date: October 09, 2014 02:45PM

It's funny that the Bickertonites have their own twelve apostles. Alice Cooper's grandfather was an apostle of that church. But when you've got 12 apostles for a church of 20,000 people, it's no big deal. I can foresee such a future for the Brighamite church.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 08, 2014 10:40PM

how do they know what god's standards are ?

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 09, 2014 12:16AM

Not sure why Robbins was puzzled, other than he hadn't been paying attention. In Boyd's infamous 1993 speech to the All-Church Coordinating Council (the Intellectuals, Gays and Feminists speech) he told of the time when he received the very same instruction from Harold B. Lee.

This has been brought up before, but a reminder can't hurt.

http://www.zionsbest.com/face.html

"Thirty-eight years ago I came from Brigham City to the office I now occupy in the Administration Building to see Elder Harold B. Lee, who, next to President Joseph Fielding Smith, was the senior member of the Quorum of the Twelve. I had just been appointed the supervisor of Seminaries and Institutes of Religion. I knew there were serious problems in the system and I wondered why they had not appointed someone with more experience."

"Elder Lee had agreed to give me counsel and some direction. He didn't say much, nothing really in detail, but what he told me has saved me time and time again. 'You must decide now which way you face,' he said. 'Either you represent the teachers and students and champion their causes or you represent the Brethren who appointed you. You need to decide now which way you face.' Then he added, 'Some of your predecessors faced the wrong way.' It took some hard and painful lessons before I understood his counsel. In time, I did understand, and my resolve to face the right way became irreversible."

"One of the early lessons was also my first lesson in correlation. The seminaries were sponsoring speech contests. They were very successful – much better than similar contests sponsored by the Mutual Improvement Association. It was an ideal gospel-centered activity for seminaries. They were succeeding beautifully under able teachers who could assist even the shy students. We were instructed to discontinue them!"

"There was something of an uprising among the teachers. They accused Superintendent Curtis of the Young Men and President Reeder of the Young Women of being responsible. Perhaps they were. The teachers wanted Brother Tuttle and me to plead their cause before the Brethren. The logic was all on our side. Nevertheless we remembered the counsel of Brother Lee, and really, just out of obedience, we declined."

----------------

Packer admits to discontinuing an "ideal" program that was "succeeding beautifully" helping shy students gain confidence, for no other reason than "the Brethren" said so. Didn't even try to defend the kids. The odd thing about it is that there's no faith-promoting postscript as to why this arbitrary decision turned out to be inspired.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 09, 2014 12:23AM

packer dont truck with no intellectchuals

they're just waiting for him to die

lol

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: October 09, 2014 07:12AM

Lynn Robbins -

“Which way do you face?” President Boyd K. Packer surprised me with this puzzling question while we were traveling together on my very first assignment as a new Seventy.

when i was a teenager I once bought a sort of trilby hat from a store in the Lynwood neighborhood of LA. The store was run by a black guy and the clients were almost exclusively black. black guys know how to rock a hat but i was a skinny white kid so I just put it on my head. the salesman corrected me and said 'You can't wear it like that! you have to put it one side or the other!' I asked which side. He asked 'Well, which way do you hang?'

i don't want to put words in his mouth or anything, but maybe the closeted Packer was just asking 'which way do you hang?' and Robbins took it wrong.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: October 09, 2014 02:56PM

"When others demand approval in defiance of God’s commandments, may we always remember whose disciples we are"

I would have guessed he was talking about disobedient women demanding equal rights. There are more lds women than lds gays and he would have more numbers to lose.
Then again, maybe you're right about him referring to gays. He certainly couldn't give women much credit for banding together, standing together and demanding equal rights. AFterall, their just women.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.