Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Skooby ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 08:58PM

Today on Radio West they talked about Packers talk on the cure for the ghey. So I called in and gave a short story about a family member being much happier out of the closet and the church. And in the end I slipped in a plug for people needing recovery and community. It was a very interesting show altogether and worth a listen.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/kuer/news.newsmain/article/184/0/1712222/RadioWest.(M-F..11AM..and..7PM)/101310.Elder.Packer.and.the.LDS.Church.on.Homosexuality

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 10:44PM

You did a great job. I was curious who it might be. Thanks!

I thought that the show was excellent. The caller who supported Packer sounded so scary. It made me proud to be part of the exmo crowd.

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 11:38PM

Listening now, glad you called in! I agree with Emma that the guy that supported Packer as an apostle of the world, or whatever the heck he said was scary. It was a long time ago, but I had a TBM cousin that committed suicide. He was around 15 yrs. old. I always wondered if he was gay. My husband's nephew committed suicide, he was 16. TBM parents. I wonder if he was gay. I will never know but I know it must be horrible to be Mormon and gay.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 08:24AM

I guess that there is one aspect that escaped my jaundiced eye.

I've been lamenting the the rapid reversal of the words of the profits and the callous comments, and the lack of clear direction, and I missed altogether the suicides that preceded Packers address.

I'd seen an article on the town of Lake Erie where they had 5 suicides for bullying, a couple of them were gay I think. But I didn't seem to put that together with the poor timing of Boyds woids.

The person representing Dialogue made a good point about where Mormo doctrine comes from. She said it was "a mess".

I totally agree. People are taught to accept as if from Gods own mouth- yet no clear direction ever comes. That most so-called doctrine is anybodys guess. And like she said, the members will take the PR efforts to be directed at the "world" with a wink at the membership. Meaning that the membership will be quick to understand that the prophets are never wrong.

And some of the callers sounded as if they would die to protect the pure doctrine that Packer secreted. And now we have Bishops who immediately started parroting Packers words in the sacrament talks and test monkey expositions.

Now as I think of those suicides, and those that will probably happen is response to the GC, I am profoundly saddened.

Surely God would have said something meaningful over the years to these men? Perhaps creating a relevant gospel that embodied more than just "make and keep temple covenants"...?

Posted by: delightsome ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 11:34AM

I caught the last half hour of the re-broadcast at 7:30. Good plug and I wondered who among us you are.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.