Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: girlisgone ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:23PM

Its been over a decade since I resigned (thanks for the help!) but my younger sister is in a sticky situation. I just found out she has a bishops court this weekend. After hearing of how her last meeting with the bishop went I feel they are going to ex her. I explained this to her and now she wants to resign. With the court so close anyone know how she can effectively do this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onmyphone ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:27PM

If she hands a resignation letter to her bishop or stake president it is effective immediately.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:29PM

and handing it to him at the court before it begins would be the most amusing option

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 07:34PM

Just send it by e-mail and copy the bish. They can't hold the court. I forced the court and told the high council what I thought - for a full hour.

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:28PM

The minute she sends the letter, she is out. If she wants any kind of confirmation, send a certified copy to her bishop and one to the COB address given in the links on this site. Once she does that, and she has proof that she's done that, if they continue with the court they can be sued since she is no longer a member.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 04:14PM

Not when you send it. It is effective upon receipt.

Posted by: cludgie ( )

Don't allow her to let them shame her. Write the letter!

Posted by: twistedsister ( )

Yes, she needs to hand them a letter. If you've resigned, they can't ex you.

Posted by: Brambleberry ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:30PM

I believe if you are in the US you can do it by email ( please correct me if I am wrong someone). However, I would think that if she resigns dating her letter before the meeting…there is not a whole lot they can do about it…her resignation is hers..not the churches…the fact they remove her name from church records is merely the process which arises from this. She does not have to appear at a court hearing either…who do they think they are?

Date: April 11, 2014 01:32PM

I don't think she has time to get it to headquarters through the mail...is hand delivery a viable option? Is handing them the letter at the court binding? Thanks guys.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:34PM

yes, hand delivering=immediate resignation

Posted by: dupsterfnuberdork ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:36PM

My Stake President stopped talking to me the minute I gave him my resignation letter. It is very effective and is immediate. I would do it before the court hearing so there is no pressure at all from anyone, unless your sister likes confrontation and speculation about her.

Date: April 11, 2014 01:36PM

Thank you all so much for the advice. I will let her know her options. I remember how hard this was for me... at least she has a few on the outside to lean on!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:41PM

remem the essentials:

"I hereby resign my membership Immediately in the CoJDoLDS"

"I waive any waiting or 'grace'period(s)"

name/DOB/ member record number if you know it.

doesn't hurt to add any ID verifications; name of your ward/stake, date she was baptized, etc.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 01:57PM

I hereby withdraw my consent to be treated as a member of the church.

She should also be accompanied by an adult male when she hands them her letter. This will help ensure that she is treated respectfully.

Myself, I'd tape it to the door beforehand and never show up.

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 03:43PM

Take a dated photo as proof. Close up and from a distance showing the location.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 02:00PM

Send in the letter, but don't tell them, let them waste their time assembling for their imaginary court proceeding.

Posted by: nothingelsematters ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 02:03PM

She should email one today and hand one to the bishop at her court of love.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 02:07PM

Unless she has some reason she doesn't want to be exed, it's a lot easier to let them have their kangaroo court without her showing up. Make them put on their suits and go down to a dreary room at the chapel and waste their time. Meanwhile, she can be spending her time doing something more enjoyable.

Date: April 11, 2014 02:29PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. I think this has been coming for awhile but the bishop is forcing her hand. It's nice to know that it is not too late to leave on her own terms. Once again the support from this board is greatly appreciated!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 03:11PM

I don't know about the current CHI, but the one from 1996 said members couldn't use resignation to escape church discipline. Of course, that's just the church's opinion.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 03:58PM

There was a court case and law suit that disagreed with the CHI. Knowing what we know about church history, guess who won and what current church policy is :)

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 03:22PM

It's just a bat crazy church. They have no power at all.
She can email it, send it in, or hand to the bishop. Either way she is out upon doing so. They can have their court of hate and judgment if they please without her. It's all their own self gratification (masturbating) process to make themselves feels like gods.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 03:23PM

She is under no obligation to anyone in the church.

They can't effect a penalty (fines, jail, etc.), so why worry?

The best they can do is nag and shun.

They'll tire of that game if they don't get the right response from her.

She should just ignore the whole thing and move on with her life sans the silliness of the church and their imaginary powers....

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 03:36PM

A few weeks ago someone posted a story about resigning in a week by sending notarized letters to the chuch HQ, bishop and stake president at the same time (resign membership, aware of cancellation of ordinances and eternal consequences...), with a letter on laq firm stationery attached stating that legal action would be taken if the resignation was not processed immediately and confidentially.

Legally, of course, she is out the minute a church rep receives her resignation, but to make this easier I would have her email or fax member records at HQ, and email or deliver copies to the bishop and SP.

If they still hold the court, perhaps she can take pride in it. I have a friend who was exed for being gay, and forcing those men to reject a young RM they had loved was something he took pride in.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 03:38PM

TSCC wants your resignation letters vs. remaining inactive. They want to clean house of Ex-Mo's and anyone who might infect the other members. If you leave your name on the books they will ask you why? The biggest reason is financial, if you decide to use welfare, Bishop Storehouse, etc... It's always about money $$$

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 03:53PM

I am assuming your sister went to her bishop and confessed to having sexual relations. If not, they are assuming she is having sex with someone. Perhaps she is not doing what they want like cleaning the toilets.

The other option is to follow the example of her church leaders and lie. It would go something like this -

Bishop says to Sister of girlisgone - Do you admit to having sex with Brother Big Johnson?

Sister of girlisgone says - No bishop Carrotupthebutt, I would never do anything like that.

bishop Carrotupthebutt says - You were in my office and admitted to being part of an orgy.

Sister of girlisgone says - what are you saying - I was in your office asking for a temple recommend so I can marry peter noballs. She needs to cry that he would think such a horrible thought as that.

Just lie - TSCC lies.

Or resign - either way it is a mythical religion with mythical beliefs and mythical rules about a mythical god that has mythical powers and is 100% fake.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 03:55PM

She walks into the bishop's court and hands him the letter of resignation! Than walks out before he has a chance to say anything.
Then open a bottle of bubbly and CELEBRATE!!! - Right on the steps of the ward house.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 04:00PM by verilyverily.

Posted by: pog ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 07:02PM

Have a hired actor in costume (Bunny playmate? Tarzan?) deliver the letter to the assembled gentlemen right before the court loving begins.

Posted by: Heathen ( )
Date: April 11, 2014 08:04PM

Show up to the court right as its scheduled to begin, with a witness or two, and hand them the resignation letter. Tell them they cannot proceed with their stupid little kangaroo court. Walk around the room and ask every single one of them their full legal name, address and phone number - writing this all down as you go. Maybe whip out your cell camera and take a picture too.

Tell them you are going to name every one of them as part of a lawsuit if they even think about proceeding. Be an ASS about all this...She is taking her power back from these clowns. Put them on the defensive!

If they do proceed, sue the church and each of them. She could end up with a large cash windfall.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.