Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 07:43PM

When I was a kid, I'd occasionally hear a preacher named Herbert W. Armstrong on the radio. He founded "The Worldwide Church of God," a strange sect that had many culty characteristics. The leadership demanded 10% tithing, prohibited makeup for women, believed in faith healing over modern medicine, prohibited interracial marriage or working on Sunday. They excommunicated any dissenters at the local level and often.

After Armstrong died, another guy took over; Joseph W. Tkach. Things changed fast. He implemented an amazing array of reforms that brought the church into line with traditional American Protestant Evangelism. There were splinter groups formed as hard liners dropped away.

"During Tkach's tenure, the changes that he implemented stirred much controversy and significant dissent among those who continued to follow Armstrong's theology. The dissenters labeled the changes as heresy and many left to form new church organizations. Within the mainstream Christian community, some have hailed Tkach's reforms, which brought a church from the fringe to orthodoxy, as unprecedented."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_W._Tkach

So could a TSCC prophet come along and do something like this? At my age is seems possible. After all, I saw the Soviet Union collapse and the Berlin Wall come down.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 07:48PM

my fantasy is that Monson will be questioned on the witness stand as to what constitutes mormon doctrine.

Posted by: cats ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 08:47PM

He better bring a hammer, nails and jello for that..

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 07:50PM

Unlikely due to the way the "next" guy comes along. They've been vetted for decades.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 16, 2014 07:52PM

Since Monson is gods mouthpeice, should this not be simple for him?

Should this not be a "teachable moment"?!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.