Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 03:19PM

I'm thinking that this is just a media ploy. I saw when driving past the LDS church today that they had two large banners out on the road that read, "DAY OF SERVICE." The parking lot was full. So if the parking lot was full, who's serving what? Who's serving whom? Is it just a ploy to make it seem like Mormons serve? Has anyone of you seen something similar today?

Actually, DW, knowing that I'm critical because there are few opportunities in Mormonism to actually serve people in any meaningful way, told me about about a week ago that there was a service day today, but didn't tell me any details. She wanted me to go "serve," to check it out myself. Somebody may have told her to tell me that, I'm not sure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 04:12PM

It used to be done. In Nor-Cal, where I reside we did it once a year. (Big Deal)

We had a bishopric member who would show up in jeans, a pressed t-shirt, running shoes and sun glasses. He would boss people around, tell us all what to do, but I do not ever recall him shoveling, raking, or wheeling a wheel barrow.

Posted by: Service slave ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 04:26PM

Must be a worldwide push we had our big service day in nz yesterday.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 04:30PM

Do the Mormons run a soup kitchen anywhere ouside of the Morridor, just because there are hungry people who need a reliable, no strings attached source of food.

Anywhere? NOMs, apologists--do I not know the new, improved Mormon church.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 04:35PM

I hope you went. If it was real service you could help. If not, you'd at least be able to make a point. If it were truly helping the community and not Morg related, that would be great. But why the banners? I hate that they can't REALLY serve without having to call attention to themselves.

Date: February 22, 2014 04:35PM

Date: February 22, 2014 07:11PM

It turns out that I had so much of my own stuff to do, a lot of it relating to the big storm. I ran to Lowe's and back and noticed all kinds of yellow "Mormon Helping Hands" T-shirt on the property directly across from the Mormon church. It's a wealthy horse farm sort of place with several acres, and they were hauling downed wood (from the ice storm) out to the edge of the highway to be hauled off. That's the only place I saw them. There was all kinds of room for help. There is a downed tree resting on the roof of a tumble-down house belonging to some real poor people close to the church. They could have done that, but I don't think that they did, come to think of it. In the aftermath of the storm there is all kinds of rubbish to be taken care of, but property owners may not want the liability of a bunch of unlicensed, non-bonded kids.

Date: February 22, 2014 07:31PM

Shoulda gone and when they sent you over there, asked if they had anyone on their list who needed that kind of help but couldn't afford to hire someone to do it, as there were obviously tons of people in that situation in the city.

When they said "No, this is where we're working," you could tell them that you needed to do the exact same thing at your own house and if you had time, you'd try to help your neighbors, without a yellow shirt."

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 04:56PM

We had days of service. We would clean up around the church and go do lawn work for a few elderly members.

The community I live in had a community day of service and they would do stuff all over the city, not sure why the church couldn't join in on that.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 05:07PM

I just made myself lunch. I was hungry. Paid for the food. Does that count for service feeding the hungry to a Mormon?

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 05:22PM

Seriously. Banners.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 05:27PM

Wow, a whole entire day? How generous of them.

Date: February 22, 2014 07:13PM

They've now got 364 days remaining to rest up.

Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 08:18PM

Me thinks Jesus would want them to dedicate their lives to service, not just a day.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.