Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Me wanting to rant ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 07:49PM

Me (regular poster named after character Sally Field won Oscar for) trying to be unsearchable by family trolls.

I moved from Utah to the Southeast 9 years ago. I went from working for a company of 70 people where only 2 of us were non-mormon (one exmo from Norway and me, an apostate), to working for a very large multinational company where no one in our entire building (the executive offices) was mormon and very few even knew a thing about mormons other than the multiple wives.

It's been a haven. It's been my safe space, my mormon-free zone. I can tell people about crazy mormon schit and blow them away. I was so surprised how many people had no clue that mormons couldn't drink coffee (that is heresy around here). I haven't had to feel the mormon judgment, work around any mormon men who think women should be submissive, or even look at them with their haughty power and authority air about them.

So, we have an open position in corporate legal and they brought in 5 attorneys to interview for it. As with most of our attorneys, they are all from the Northeast or Midwest and several worked for large firms in D.C. But the last one who came in had a very Utah-sounding name. I thought "I'm just being paranoid, things like that can't happen to me." But things like that DO happen to me. I looked him up on the Net and he was from Utah originally, even though he went to law school in the East and works in DC area now. So I looked him up on Facebook.

OMG. Talk about Nazi Mormon! Everything and I mean EVERYTHING on his Facebook was Mormon related. And his timeline was shut down. But the pictures that were available were all in front of temples and stuff. His Likes were ALL Mormon related or tea-party ultra conservative political. You know, likes are The Book of Mormon, Glenn Beck, Mitt Romney, Ann Romney, Draft Romney 2016, Now Don't You Wish Romney was President, Romney Family Cookbook, Romney Worship (or whatever), John Bytheway, several temples, Tommy Monson, and all that kind of stuff. Then there were a couple of TV programs that I'd never heard of. I clicked on them and they are series on BYU TV.

So I thought, "Ok, there are 5 people. Two of them are women and that part of our group has no women, so maybe they'll be worried that they're going to get chastised by HR. There's only a 20% chance. So I knew that today they were bringing in their candidate of choice for a second interview. Guess who it was??

WHY??? Why why why does this kind of stuff happen to me? Not that I would have to work directly with him, but he'd be in my group. I don't want any of those people around here. It's MY space. Mine. I was here first. They have no right to invade! Only one Utah native allowed. Damn! But I guess it will be fun to see the look on his face when he finds out that a rabid apostate has been here 9 years and told everyone about the undies and the control freakishness and the secret handshakes and passwords. Yeah, do your "every member a missionary" work here buddy. Dare ya.

OK. Thanks for letting me rant. I can't say anything at the office or I'd be sent to diversity training.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 08:11PM

I feel your pain… I kind of feel the same way, watching how my mom's hometown has turned into a Mormon mecca.

Posted by: Me know ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 08:11PM

Me know who this is. Not tell anyone.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 08:21PM

I'm sorry, this sounds really distressing for you. I would recommend dialing back religion talk at work from now on out. Think of some standard lines you can use to deflect religious questions or comments, i.e. "Well, you know my feelings on the matter" accompanied by a significant look.

If your company hires him and he raises the religion issue, you can always fall back on, "I'd rather stay focused on our work." If he asks you if you are Mormon, just say, "no."

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 10:22AM

^^^^ This!

Believe me, from personal experience, rabid TBMs can and do try to get you fired. They will lie through their teeth to get you away from them. Mum is the word of the day!

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 08:26PM

A few years ago I took a job as a live-in house parent for underprivileged kids.

I moved in to a home with a married couple in it already.

I was wandering around the house when I found the big picture of Jesus surrounded by a bunch of girls that kind of look like they would blow him if he just asked and the poem or whatever from YW.

I thought "No, it's not possible..."

Walked around the house a little more and found a picture of the Chicago temple, a bunch of old copies of New Era and a few of the blue BOMs on the book shelves.

Yeah- I had just moved into a house with a TBM couple as my coworkers.

I was moved to a different home pretty quickly (unrelated) but yeah, I was living. With. Mormons.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 17, 2014 09:14PM

Hysterical story NR! Feel free to give us periodic updates.

;o)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 12:55AM

Honestly - I think you have the right attitude. You were there first. It's your space. Don't let his Mormonism interfere. You may have to dial back the "Mormons are bat-crap crazy" stories but if he acts Mormony around you, tell him his behavior isn't appropriate for the workplace. Or, better yet, get his supervisor to tell him. Complain if you have to. Work should be a religion-free zone.

Posted by: Me again ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 01:00AM

Thanx Shannon. I will probably have an update rant.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 02:36AM

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:12AM

Rant here but be professional there - legally, work must be kept a religion-free zone. Even though you were there first, mocking someone's religion could easily be labeled creating a hostile environment and discriminatory - especially by a lawyer. Be careful. And it may turn out that he is a nice guy under all those trappings. I gotta admit, those Mormon male mannerisms now make my skin crawl, but you probably are going to need to get past it. Sorry! But you can always post here making fun of him. Me know won't tell.

Date: February 18, 2014 10:21AM

Yes, that IS why I'm ranting here. I cannot say ANYTHING about the Mormon thing at work. The other legal group in our building is Labor and Employment. They are VERY vigilent about any EEO violations, as they should be. I'd want them to be that way if I felt harassed because of religion. So yes, I am going to be very nice. I'll tell him I'm an exmo if he asks because there is no way that he won't hear it pretty early on from someone else. I will play up the good things about Utah.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 02:05AM

foot in the mouth disease.

Any chance someone will offer him coffee when he comes in? If he can gracefully decline without bringing up his religion, maybe he can be professional at the office.

Posted by: Recovered MollyMo ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 08:41AM

Sorry, but I think that is just really mean spirited of you.

It is not "your" workspace. It is where you work. It is where he works.

You really can not condemn this person when they have not done anything TO you, they just make you uncomfortable due to your past experiences.

This is not happening TO you. It is just happening.

A lot of people in these forums use to be that "that guy" or "that woman" that made someone like you unhappy.

You might be the person that represents what it is like to be a NON-Mormon.

He shouldn't be bringing his religious viewpoints in the workplace and neither should you.

RMM

Date: February 18, 2014 10:29AM

Well, RMM, it might be mean spirited, but that's how my spirit feels after all those years of working with Mormons, especially after I resigned my membership. It brings back a lot of bad memories and that's why I needed to get it out.

Yes, he has as much right to work here as I do. I am not saying he doesn't. And yes, it is selfish of me to say it's MY space and he's invading. I have just loved being here and having it be so different. I will totally dial back any talk about Mormonism because I have to. He will be much more valuable to the company than I am. He really does have great experience and speaks fluent Spanish, which will be a huge asset in that job right now since they are doing a lot of stuff with Latin America. If there was any tension, or if he felt intimidated or something, they'd get rid of me withoug batting an eyelash. I'm expendable, I'm not stupid, I know that.

And yes, as far as I've heard he is a very nice guy. And he's smart enough to also know to leave religion out of the workplace. I'm ok. It just freaked me out a little yesterday. I'm like HOW does this happen to me.

Date: February 18, 2014 10:29AM

(Mean-spirited? Does anyone actually use that phrase outside of the Morg? I ask, because I've never heard it except from mormons.)

Merriam-Webster
rant (verb): to talk loudly and in a way that shows anger : to complain in a way that is unreasonable

--------------------------

By labeling it a rant, she already knows that her emotions are getting the better of her, and she needs to let off steam. Dial back on the "keep sweet" idea.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 10:47AM

Agreed, RMM _totally_ missed the point.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 10:52AM

Thoughtcrime? Her *thoughts* and *feelings* are 'mean-spirited"? Wow. This is a board for expressing ourselves and dealing with our mormon interactions. She can feel anyway she wants or needs to. And although written communication can be subtle, i detect playfulness amid the angst of her post.

If she starts acting in ways that might be harmful lets definitely tell her off.

Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:47AM

Funny!! Hang in there!

I have found often the members who post so many spiritual posts on Facebook in reality are the ones who doubt the TSCC the most. It's all for show or they are having a crisis themselves. Don't buy into it.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 09:59AM

I've never worked with a Mormon, even when I was one. That would be weird.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 10:00AM

He's a mormon attorney. If you look up the definition of "arrogant entitled douchebag" in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of a mormon attorney.

You are a woman. You will be invisible to him. Even if you were his direct supervisor, you would still be treated with dismissiveness, disdain, and disrespect. All the disses.

I think nothing will come up, especially if your work paths do not cross.

I would make one hail-Mary attempt to derail this, if it were me and IF I was in a position of enough authority to do so. I'd go to the hiring manager who was considering the candidates, share the information I had, and paint a picture of what that kind of mormon CAN be like. "Do you want your team of attorneys to be walking on eggshells constantly, so as to avoid offending the newbie?"

It's possible he's liberal, NOM, or has learned to adapt to a working environment where no one else is mormon. There is also the eleventh commandment that is: And all lawyers shall drink like fish. Attorneys are notorious drinkers. He will be the odd man out. He's the one in a position of "less than," within your corporate culture, not you. Take the high road and ignore him completely and be sure to enjoy a few happy hours with the attorneys. ;>) Networking, networking, networking. He can't do it. He can't go for coffee or cocktails and network properly. You have the advantage, culturally, within the company.

Posted by: reddwarf ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 02:50PM

If you go to the hiring manager and bring up his religion you will be out on your ass. Religion is one of the criteria you cannot use to make a hiring/firing/employment decision. If HR got wind of anyone bringing up a candidate's religion then the one who brought it up would be fired for discrimination and the candidate would probably be hired so they could head off any chance of a labor violation and lawsuit.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 10:14AM

Your real problem was whosoever picked this person as the one call-back. That person already works there. What about this attorney appealed to that person? Completely apart from his Mormon persona, he doesn't sound like my idea of a must-hire based on what you said.

Date: February 18, 2014 11:25AM

If you really want to throw him for a loop, and hopefully keep him quiet about religion, wear a crucifix (not cross) or a pentacle. <giggle>

This is my main one... LOVE IT

http://www.sears.com/things2die4-sterling-silver-forest-pentacle-pendant/p-SPM9798476513?prdNo=24

Most Mormons won't touch talking religion to Catholics or Pagans to save their life. Try explaining the need for a saviour to someone who doesn't believe in the bible.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 02:29PM

Heidi GWOTR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Most Mormons won't touch talking religion to
> Catholics or Pagans to save their life. Try
> explaining the need for a saviour to someone who
> doesn't believe in the bible.

I'm assuming you are talking about the pagan not believing in the Bible, yes?

Date: February 18, 2014 04:09PM

Yes. Oh, I see how it reads. Yes, Pagans. Not Catholics. They don't like talking to Catholics because they belong to the Whore of Babylon. Yup WoB. It's true, just ask my mom!

Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 11:45AM

Recovered MollyMo makes some really good points above. I pretty much agree with everything she said.

Mormonism is a cult. The people still following Mormonism are victims of a cult. I'm fully aware that indoctrination into this cult sometimes tends to make people arrogant, rude, condescending, oblivious, mean, conniving etc. But its not the victims we should be fighting, its the TSCC virus we should be against. We should be very carefully helping the victims.

Date: February 18, 2014 12:19PM

So, what, she "should" let these "arrogant, rude, condescending, oblivious, mean, conniving" people walk all over her? She "should" put up with being proselytized to?

Yes, they are victims too, but if they were isntead, the victim of an infectuous disease, I would still be wearing protection in the form of a facemask.

And, by the way, I left the word "should" behind when I left the Morg.

Posted by: chainsofmind ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 01:11PM

"So, what, she "should" let these "arrogant, rude, condescending, oblivious, mean, conniving" people walk all over her? She "should" put up with being proselytized to?"

No she should not!

"Yes, they are victims too, but if they were isntead, the victim of an infectuous disease, I would still be wearing protection in the form of a facemask."

Fair enouph. But they still need help.

Posted by: birchtree ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 12:19PM

I have a dear friend who is Atheist and ended up working in Utah. Of course everyone wants to know if he's Mormon.

When they ask him if he's religious, he says, "Yes. I enjoyed the Harry Potter books very much."

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: February 18, 2014 04:37PM

birchtree Wrote:
>
> When they ask him if he's religious, he says,
> "Yes. I enjoyed the Harry Potter books very
> much."

Bwahahahahahahahaha! Love it!

To the OP, I don't blame you for being freaked out. If any Mormons came to work in my department I'd have hysterics--in fact, I'm worried it might happen some day because the head of the department LOVES Mormons. Weirdo.

Anyway, is there an update on how his interview went? Maybe he botched it. Maybe he won't pass the reference/background check. Or maybe he'll take another offer somewhere else.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.