Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:01PM

I'm seeing lots of different opinions about the lawsuit that was just filed against President Monson. Opinions range all over the place from no chance/dismissal to the court seeing LDS assets in the UK. Are there any professional lawyers on here who can provide a professional opinion on the merits of the lawsuit?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:11PM

I would be interesting in just knowing some of the British legal rules.

I think there are a lot of things we do not know regarding potential evidence, such as accounting books.

However, there are some questions regarding procedures, and I hope we have some people here with experience in the Brit legal system.

Are proceedings public? Will transcripts of all hearings become available to the public?

Are court proceedings televised?

Could an extradition order for TSM be issued?

Could the court seize LDS assets in the UK for non compliance of the summons?

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:17PM

I can't speak for TP, but I suspect the key element is to raise the awareness of the case/issues. In that regard the outcome doesn't really matter so much. The news will go viral very quickly.

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:52PM

Proceedings are usually open to members of the public: court cases here are not televised.

I do know the Church retains a very expensive legal firm here. However, they don't always win. Temples were forced to pay property rates as it was decreed they are not open places of worship.

That's all I can answer with surety: it is possible to conduct your own defence, but I am not sure in a case of this type. Employing a barrister doesn't come cheap.

Posted by: offradar ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 02:01PM

A large sum of money, approx £130 million, was suddenly transfered into the UK Church Accounts approx 5-6 years ago, from SL.

It's still there.

I wonder why?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.