Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 01:16AM

There is evidence that Brigham Young poisoned Samuel Smith after Joseph Smith died. Samuel Smith had a good chance at being the next Church President. He was the brother of Joseph Smith. William Smith, another brother, accused Brigham Young of killing Samuel. Hosea Stout administered "white powder" as medicine daily to Samuel until he died. Hosea Stout had been involved in other murders. He may have been poisoning Samuel under orders from Young.

If Brigham Young killed the "heir to the throne", then it is not too hard to believe that he may have arranged to have Joseph killed, too.

Young was powerful in Masonry. He could have used his influence to assemble Masons in the mob that formed outside of Carthage Jail. They blackened their faces, so how do we really know who they were? Young could have used his influence to get the jail guards to leave that day so that Joseph would be defenseless. There was another time when Mormons tricked people into giving up their guns so they could be slaughtered, and that was at Mountain Meadows. Young could have been in charge of Mountain Meadows as well.

-----------------------
Admin note: This is wild speculation. Please view this as the author's (behindcurtain) opinion which is not substantiated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 05:37AM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 01:24AM

do we know when any telegraph service started in the area?

Might not be important.

I too think that BY was behind the mob. He would not necessarily need communication with the people to do the deed. A conspiracy with others could have been set in motion, with BY conveniently out of town and away from scrutiny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 01:25AM by deco.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 01:26AM

Rumor also has it that Karma bit ole Briggy in the butt.

It's rumored that one of his wives had him poisoned because he wanted to pawn her/his very young daughter off to one of his cronies. He made the brutal mistake of misjudging the love of a mother for her daughter over him.

I hope this was his undoing. We may never know.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 01:57AM

Mormons 'claim' that everything will be known at judgment!

but, for the meantime....

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 02:07AM

"If Brigham Young killed the "heir to the throne", then it is not too hard to believe that he may have arranged to have Joseph killed, too." - GEE! If BY did this, it was the smartest thing he ever did. That would be one thing I'd say BRAVO BRIGGY for.

Madalice - great point. Women are tigers when it comes to some as*hole hurting our daughters. I actually got arrested for aggravated assault for trying to kill my daughter's ex-boyfriend (long time ago). He threw her down the stairs and broke her arm and thumb. I went to his house with a loaded gun planning to blow his putrid head off, but I thought about it and decided he was not worth going to jail for so I didn't do it, just threatened him. The charges got dropped. The good news is that the miserable scum blew his own head off a few years later. It seems that he decided to beat up a Hispanic girl who had a hot tempered brother with a hot fire Latin temper. When the moron beat up this girl, her brother and his friend beat him so bad that they broke his eardrums. His hearing was never the same and he didn't like being deaf so he killed himself. Oh big loss, NOT!! PARTY HEARTY! He was the scum of the earth. Of course his family were TBMs through and through. They coddled him so much that he felt he could get by with anything. They learned otherwise. I had a party when he died, YES SERIOUSLY! Remember he hurt my daughter and the throwing down the stairs was not the first time. It was the last time.

Posted by: ex_sushi_chef ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 02:16AM

can anybody believe like this??

"Last Summer, on the evening of June 27th, 1997, the anniversary of the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith Jr., I was pondering over church history as I was studying it before I went to bed. As I laid down in bed a vision was opened up before me- I was taken away in a light and when the light faded I was at another place.

I soon noticed the Prophet Joseph Smith standing near by me the center of the room where I was taken....

Joseph kneeled down and held Hyrum in his arms weeping. The door at the time is kicked open - behind the door are two men standing with guns aimed - they fired into the room hitting John Taylor several times- he fell to the floor and crawled under the bed on the right side of the room where he then became unconscious.

There Joseph stood in the middle of the room shocked at the scene and asking Willard Richards if he was alright. Willard Richards shook his head in the affirmative- shaking and nervously at the same time pulling something from under his clothing. Now shaking even more- gun in hand pointed at Joseph Smith, Joseph stands back a bit and with a stern but saddened voice he says "Finish it." The gun goes off hitting Joseph in the chest.

Carthage Conspiracy A Vision and Commentary By Enoch Theos Last Updated April 1999
"
http://webspace.webring.com/people/np/potai/carthageconspiracy-99.htm

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 04:42AM

I would've hollered Horse $#%!! but swearing in the subline is against the rules.

Over at FAIR and ldsfreedomforum.com they're howling over this one, and I can't blame them. Those of us who are publishing authentic LDS history and having to counter the revisionists at every keystroke just shake our heads over such tripe.

Crazed crapola such as this just makes our jobs that much harder.

Young was in Boston when Smith was killed, and he didn't receive actual confirmation until nearly a month aftwerwards.

As LDS leader, Brigham Young labored under a "yoke of insecurity" when he assumed "Joseph's mantle." He was a fanatic believer, had been introduced to the practice of plural marriage, and was clearly a "Nauvoo Insider" aware of the goings-on, but he was loyal to the church's mission and accepted his missionary assignments willingly. The unvarnished fact is he revered Joseph Smith.

He also learned JS's tactics well, such as always having a scribe to take down his dictation; this is what allowed him to maintain "plausible deniability" in later years.

That Brigham Young and Emma Smith were at each other's throats (speaking strictly rhetorically of course) following JS's death is a given, but Emma clearly despised many who had followed her husband's lead and began practicing polygamy.

It was her faction that likely originated rumors such as these, and they are no more credbile now than they were 170 years ago.

Samuel Smith's death was an event entirely unrelated (and I remain unpersuaded on that one as well as claims about Young eventually being poisoned in his own household. I lost a lot of respect for Samuel W. Taylor after reading his works on that one; he also tried to peddle a similar yarn that Bishop Snow of Manti ran afoul of karma and was castrated near the end of his life). The one "motive" offered in that one is the historical fact that Samuel Smith was strongly against polygamy.

The drama llamas and drama mamas can peddle this stuff all they want, but most of the historians are saner and more sober sorts.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 05:34AM

This does create lack of credibility for us when such speculation is posted. A newbie will not realize this is not typical of the board. They will look at this as typical wild anti-Mormon tactics and go back to the corporation. Let's stick to facts and to our personal experiences.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.