Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: January 24, 2014 01:01PM

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Via+di+Settebagni,+376,+Rome,+Italy.&ie=UTF-8&ei=iKXiUraAKcbxkAWyyIGQDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

The temple is the oval shape, but behind are three more buildings.

Street view gives a more advanced view of the Temple. It's really out in the sticks, near an Ikea, in a commercial area (appropriately).

Interestingly, the building beside the temple is the Italian tax department.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: reddwarf ( )
Date: January 24, 2014 01:35PM

This is just a guess based on the appearance from the link and the construction photos you get by zooming in.

The one on the south edge looks like a chapel so it is most likely a new stake center for the area. I have seen this in many areas where they build a stake center using the same parking lot as the temple. In some areas it helps keep the temple off the tax books because it lends a building open to the public. Some countries do not allow tax exemptions on building closed to the public. This building is also the only one without a basement which fits the chapel design specs.

The other brown roofed one on the north has a deep basement that is connected to the temple so it probably houses a lot of the auxiliary systems for the temple. It probably has the laundry and other systems for the whole complex to keep their noise outside the temple. It might house changing rooms, offices, garment and book sales, and serve as the main entrance for the temple similar to how the annex serves the SLC temple. Everyone may enter the north building and go to the temple itself through a tunnel so they don't have an operating front door on the temple.

The third building looks to be an office building for area offices or may be a visitors center. The round portion of the roof shows that they either have a round atrium entrance or a round viewing room on the top floor. In the construction view it has a deeper foundation hole than the north building so the building will have more space underground for display space or offices.

There is a 5th building on the far south end of the complex that appears to be the AC, water, and power systems for the whole complex.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: January 24, 2014 01:43PM

Temple Complex

The Rome Italy Temple will be the centerpiece of a complex of religious and cultural buildings significant to the Church.

1) Temple. A worship facility for the performance of sacred ordinances and religious instruction to strengthen Church members' relationships to God, family, and those around them.

2) Stake Center (Meetinghouse). A chapel where members and visitors meet for Sunday worship services and midweek social activities.

3) Visitors' Center. A building for visitors to learn about the Church through a collection of exhibitions including reproductions of Bertel Thorvaldsen's Christus statue and the twelve apostles. The originals were sculpted in Rome and transported to Copenhagen in 1838 to stand in Vor Frue Kirke, the National Cathedral of Denmark.

4) Family History Center. A family history library providing the public the use of facilities and equipment to conduct genealogical research free of charge.

5) Accommodation Center. A lodging facility for temple workers and patrons who must travel long distances to Rome.

6) Gardens. Meticulous landscaping surrounding the entire complex, creating a peaceful, contemplative environment where visitors may feel the joy and beauty of God's creations.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 24, 2014 03:10PM

Chapel (stake center), visitors center, and hostel.

Date: January 24, 2014 03:11PM

The best part is that after a session you can go across the street to Ikea and have meatballs.

Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: January 24, 2014 04:05PM

Horse Meat !!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 24, 2014 04:16PM

After zooming out and clicking around, I want to visit Rome now. OMG, who in their right mind would spend any time in Rome at some corporate prefab American temple on the outskirts of town?

Date: January 24, 2014 06:48PM

I used to pass that thing practically daily (notice that it's right off Rome's beltway). There was a nice farmhouse and olive grove there. Then the church bought it, and moved the missionaries into the farmhouse. The missionaries loved it! There was room and they could horseplay, sit outside on labor day--I mean "preparation day." But there were only sketchy bus connections.

Anyway, it was a sunny pretty place. Engh, to tell you the truth, the big Ikea thing came and took up lots of farmland. But I love Ikea, and the other one only a couple of miles away was too crowded. Too bad they've built a damn temple there. I'd prefer a dozen Ikeas to one Mormon fun house. Who wouldn't?

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 24, 2014 07:11PM

That could be fun missionary housing. I took Latin in high school, and I would enjoy seeing some of the historical sites. It's just that whenever I went on vacation as a kid, we always used to have to spend a day at church and/or the temple if there was one. I felt it was a poor use of time even as an active Mormon. My time would be pretty packed in Rome.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: January 24, 2014 07:23PM

Anybody know of a hard number? How much gratuity had to be paid the govt. of Italy for the Mormon bank branch? Anybody know a hard number?

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: January 24, 2014 08:14PM

My TBM sister is working for LD$, Inc as the manager of the building next to another European temple. Apparently, there's a constant need for temple-going TBMs to spend the night next to the temple.

Date: January 24, 2014 10:16PM

It used to be that with Bing satellite photos you could still see the old farmhouse, because Bing was using old photos. But now they've updated it, and you can see the temple buildings loud and clear. If you use Bing's "bird's eye" view, you can see a lot of crisp detail, including the nearby Ikea. It's best to search on something like "Via Brisbane," because there are too many options for "Via di Settebagni."

On the Bing "aerial" option, the photo is older. The farmhouse has been torn down and the olive grove ripped out (that's a sin), but the umbrella pines are still there. Thankfully, the evil church kept those.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.