Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:02PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:53PM

I was the ward organist, despite never having had formal training on the organ or piano.

Most people delegate based on headache minimizing. There were probably others that could play better than me, but that also would be unavailable a lot more. I was reliable, which counted for a lot.

The standard LDS solution is to find whomever will cause the fewest headaches for a given role, and put him/her in said role. It's not a bad way of doing things, as far as it goes, but it tends to pigeonhole people.

Date: September 29, 2014 11:54PM

What kind of repertoire is required?

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 12:03AM

They used to publish a "Handbook for Church ________ " where the blank was Organists or Choristers. I purchased copies of both at a Deseret bookstore in SLC back in the early 1970s. I may still have them stored away somewhere but it would be quite eye-opening to see what has changed since then.

As a young organist I was taken to task for violating one of the directives in the Handbook for Church Organists by using a hymn for a prelude and postlude. Back then it was strictly forbidden. Now it's strictly required. Forget about playing Bach, let alone anything from The Liturgical Year. I think it was Hinckley who quite blatantly banished Bach broadly.

BcE

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 10:05AM

Beautiful.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 11:14AM

He banned BACH? Why??? It's Bach! There is no universe where that makes sense. I could understand not inviting Marylin Manson to sing at church, but Bach?

The surprises never seem to stop.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 11:30AM

So if they think Bach is bad, I guess a U2-charist sunday is out :)

http://u2-charist.com/

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 12:09AM

I always played hymns for prelude and postlude in mutual. I didn't have any books for prelude and postlude, so that is what I played.

I was not the greatest pianist. I was average. I didn't have real skills at it like some people can play just about anything. I had to work really hard to play like I did.

In the singles ward, I was assigned to be an organist. I had no experience and spent a lot of time practicing.

I never play the piano anymore. Once I had twins 29 years ago, it was just too hard to get any playing time in and I quit playing, though I own a very nice antique upright grand piano. It sits there with nobody playing it.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 01:58AM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 10:02AM

And don't play too lively.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 10:08AM

Exactly. The benefit of playing in a mormon church is that every song is played in about half the tempo it's intended to be in.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 10:04AM

None. If you can struggle your way through a hymn and are willing to do so then they'll put you on the job. If you have some aptitude and talent for music go to a regular christian church and you may be given the oppertunity to get paid for the same deal.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 11:34AM

Yep, I know an organist/pianist for a Lutheran church and he makes $600 a week doing it.

It really made me appreciate our very talented, dedicated and giving organists/pianists in my old ward. They were really wonderful people and friends. (Still are, as a matter of fact--not all Mormons are bad :) )

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 10:30AM

A pulse.

Posted by: claire ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 11:36AM

Interesting. Is that how it is in Utah or just in areas where church membership is low?
In my area (Pacific Northwest) there is a huge amount of musical talent, and all the organists/pianists that I've encountered in my 30 plus years in the stake have been wonderful and talented. Some extremely so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2014 11:36AM by claire.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 10:35AM

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 11:02AM

True! The bishop doesn't really need to know how to do anything except speak in front of people.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 11:17AM

None. I was called to be the pianist for primary. When I told the bishop that I've never played the piano before, he told me it was a good time for me to take lessons. Plus, wouldn't it be wonderful to learn a talent I could bless the church with?

At the time, I was a newly-wed senior in college. I had a huge course load, and I was also working nearly everyday of the week. There was no way piano lessons would fit in my schedule, and I couldn't afford them. I had no problem turning that calling down!

It was also my first hint that callings are not inspired by anything other than a vacancy.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 11:27AM

You have to be able to identify a piano among several other instruments. Oddly enough you don't have to know how to play. i didn't and they insisted i could learn. It may have been the first time I had to put my foot down and say no, this is stupid.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 11:30AM

There aren't any really. You just have to be good enough to play the songs (whether you do that by sight-reading or practicing loads during the week). Same with conducting, as long as you know the basics you can do it.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 12:32PM

My mom has been the ward organist for decades. She doesn't really believe any more but she just really likes to play the organ - makes her happy and she's good at it.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 12:46PM

It would drive me crazy now, hearing the ridiculous lyrics. I could stomach the Hymn book better than the Primary songs. The Primary songs are so brainwashing and it would anger me seeing these innocent children learning those songs each week. It's nice that your mother is able to play and get enjoyment out of it. Pianist is the only thing is basically the only calling that I'd be able to do (besides RS activity leader) because I've never gone through the temple.

Posted by: laperla ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 12:33PM

She was constantly criticized and finally quit.

Date: September 30, 2014 02:37PM

How many songs are in the mormon hymn book?

Are primary songs in the hymn book or some other book?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.