Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 12:28PM

With the talk of the HTW programs and firing up the base, and getting the members to recruit more, like sales pitches and whatnot....

My thoughts on this is; the Mormon church seems bloated at it's middle to upper management levels.

If run completely as a business, they would have to "shed the dead weight, consolidate, and concentrate on its core business(s) and competencies. Does anyone think they could "let go" (retire) some members of the Q70 or out of the GA ranks?

Couple that with the influx of missionaries and the need for them to do some "work", they would get more value for their (recruiting) buck if they were to build schools, homeless shelters, battered women shelters, dig wells, help build water treatment facilities. These are more for countries outside the US but some could apply in the US as well.

Make the missionaries more like Peace Corp workers and they might actually get something accomplished..

just my 2 cents.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 12:56PM

And there you have it!

If TSCC was truly led by Jesus, you would see a workforce of missionaries who spent the vast majority of their time serving people. They would be renowned and respected around the world - and this would lead many people to naturally want to learn more and follow Christ.

That the missionary force always has & likely always will be focused on peddling religion, convincing people they are wrong and hitting number targets in a hyper-controlled sales environment (with a small subset of time oriented to service because they're told to), is all you need to know.

It's ironic that 'anti's' could do a far better job of enhancing the programmes than the actual self-appointed prophets.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 01:04PM

the "missionary" work is what infuriates me most about TSCC. They cry and blubber about how special their missions are, when most of them really didn't accomplish much besides recruiting new criers and blubberers. Awhile ago there was a post about a missionary who was talking about doing a service project to build a retaining wall for the d@mn bishop or MP (can't remember which) When I was young, a lot of our YW service projects included cleaning up the parking lot at the D.I. Mormons are truly "ignernt" about what true service is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 01:05PM by Tupperwhere.

Date: January 20, 2014 03:26PM

"They cry and blubber about how special their missions are, when most of them really didn't accomplish much besides recruiting new criers and blubberers."

Man...that's too funny. I can't stop laughing...:)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 03:38PM

This is so true. I felt like I spent two years bothering and annoying people.

My companion and I did help someone build a mud addition to their house once. This was, however, against the rules. It was a lot of fun draping the mud soaked pampas grass over the framework made of tree branches.

I understand if you help the bishop build his house it actually isn't against the rules. Ha ha.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 09:05PM

that should be some kind of new Mormon campaign "more mud houses!" You at least did ONE good thing on your mission. :)

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 03:33PM

I would have gone on a mission if it was 100% service.

But minus the oppression

Date: January 20, 2014 03:35PM

Isn't that called the Peace Corp. My understanding you do get a "stipend" or some sort of pay but it's not much

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 06:06PM

Good point... I won't do the PC either.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 06:16PM

What is HTW?

At first I thought the missionary program actually worked to help people and provide service to the needy. I really thought it was more aligned with something like Peace Corps. It was quite a let-down to find the only thing they do is peddle that little book door-to-door and call that "service." Even more disturbing is that they don't even really take care of their own if there is no more money to fork over. It's really very sad.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 06:28PM

The pair of missionaries in our area are constantly asking if there is something that they ca do to help us. Odd jobd etc. The senior elder said we wold like to get out of our whit shirts and black tiew for a little while,

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 08:56PM

Hastening the work

It's a JAP

Just another program

GTF
Guaranteed to Fail

KMA
Keep missionaries active

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 20, 2014 09:00PM

Thanks! For the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was. I'm usually pretty current Mormon acronyms. :)

Date: January 20, 2014 09:03PM

HTW is a fairly new acronym...I was just too lazy to type out all those long words..

But all the others listed by Fred OI are pretty good..

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: January 21, 2014 03:35AM

If they were truly run like a business, they would be buying up the competition.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.