Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:06PM

They are so excited for this weekend.

I don't get it. Do you? How is it like an entertaining event for missionaries? I don't think it actually IS for missionaries. They have their own conferences. This is a "general" conference. I don't recall any GA having a talk just for missionaries.

Mormons are like the worst fan boys and girls. They get all giddy over the most unintelligible and absurd things.

I think Ponyboys or Bronies makes more sense to me than "missionary superbowl" does. At least My Little Pony is designed to be entertaining to some people. General Conference could only be designed to entertain Victorian values holding self-righteous zealots who hold sex as a power of the Universe not to be participated in without a license, a secret club card, and uber-modest underwear!

And are their "teams" among the GAs? Seriously, though a death match for those old guys would be entertaining. But for young people to be all excited about very old men talking in droning voices about how these young people need to be better at this and that and more righteous about things?

I'd take a Hell and Brimstone preacher over them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 03:09PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The NavidsonRecord ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:23PM

I remember being very, very excited for GC on my mission. Firstly, they really talk it up about "how awesome it's going to be for you and your investigators". So they pump you up.

Mostly, it's TWO WHOLE DAYS where you aren't doing much of anything. You watch morning session right when you would normally be leaving the apartment, you have some space in between where someone usually feeds you. Then between the afternoon and priesthood sessions there's a priesthood activity. Then more of the same on sunday. Except you are fed lunch AND dinner by members. So yeah.Doing NOTHING all weekend. A whole weekend off. GC was pretty awesome as a missionary. Just sit in a seat and space out for 10 hours.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:28PM

Good points. I was in a foreign mission where we had scheduled times to go watch sessions which were sent to us on VHS tapes. It was nice to not have to tract.

I would rather watch something like this than GC.

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/380874/a-technicolor-time-lapse-of-alaskas-northern-lights/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.