Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:55PM

Who do you listen to? He or she is only one person with only one opinion. Accept some of it or not. Doesn't really matter. Does it? Who calls to you? Who makes sense?

The point, I think, is to figure out how to live your life on your own terms. Some of us were converts to Mormonism at some point in our life, and now have left it for greener pastures. Something better that makes more sense to us.

Considering the billions of humans that have lived on the earth, it begs the question: what possible difference does it make what we believe, in the long run, we all leave the earth and then what?

We, for the most part, are on a road to create a World View that works for us as the old one failed for some reason.

I like to think there is something beyond that is energy - star dust, that is not based on anything that happened in our earth life. It just is. We all get the same thing. That works for me, considering many of my loved ones are no longer living on the earth. I like to think there is something they are messaging me. Call it my imagination, but I hope there is something more than this earth life.

But the question still remains? What do we do with the here and now? How do we find and make peace? How do we live a life that is filled to overflowing with love and appreciation and gratitude for all of it? What are we recovering to? What have we put in our new World View that contains everything that is meaningful to us and still maintain our relationships that are important and lasting.

When we make a choice/decision, we get the consequences whether we know what that is or not.

I'm a proponent of a World View that is about love and peace of mind, sustaining myself with the knowledge I have gained so far and hope to gain. It's all about fun, humor, laughter, a lightness of spirit within. I hope it shows on my face in how I carry myself. I have chosen to live my life on my own terms with the time I have left and do it by making peace with all of my life. I want to be a support in the kindest way to my loved ones and friends.

The problems I face are minimal. I have survived this long I can continue. I can set my priorities and live according to my set of values.

What more is there than to live grounded in the power of an attitude of gratitude, appreciation, and love of life?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 01:56PM by SusieQ#1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 02:19PM

Having found clear and complete evidence that I had been lied to by church leaders, official sources, parents, friends, etc. for all the time I was in the mormon church, when I left I made a simple rule for myself: things people claim have to be shown correct by evidence, or they're worthless.

As it turns out, that approach also happens to be the basis for logical reasoning -- though I didn't know that at the time.

So really, I don't "listen" (by which I mean "believe") anybody. Now, I'm not talking about my wife or kids here, though I also require them to provide evidence for outrageous claims...I'm talking about the rest of the world. Nobody's statements are considered "true" until proven false. They're all considered worthless until proven true by evidence.

It's worked out rather well :)

Posted by: jrichins278 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:41PM

I think we'd be friends if we lived closer. I always enjoy your posts and comments.

I often think the same kinds of things. What we're taught by our parents, leaders and teachers we often take as truth. It has taken me many years to realize that it's just that one person's opinion. I don't have to accept it as my reality. I'm not quite sure how to pass that on to my son, but it's important for children to realize that...without being too cynical.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:33PM

It's been my experience that a lot of people in this community of the deceived , is that at first many seem truly lost in life when the truth sets in . Some people try to hard to fabricate something in life that's phony or just plain not there . Personally , I live one day at a time , and my life is what it is . I don't try to oversteer life . How many will look back in 20 years and proclaim ' it's exactly what I thought it would be ' ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.