Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:48PM

IS there a way to access the essays as they were first posted?
It has come to my attention that at least some of the essays
have been "edited" after being posted. I'd like to see what
they looked like before and after said edits.

Does anyone know of a way to access their original form?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hold Your Tapirs ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:56PM

You can go here [1] and enter a url. It should display snapshots of the page over time. Here [2] are the snapshots of the BoA essay page.

[1] http://archive.org/web/

[2] http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.lds.org/topics/translation-and-historicity-of-the-book-of-abraham?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 01:57PM by Hold Your Tapirs.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 07:50PM

Thanks a million.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:40PM

I don't think we need to be worried that they change the essays (although I have all the original versions neatly saved to my archive).

The thing you need to understand is that these things were created by committee. There's no way a change would get through easily, if at all.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 04:34PM

I remember when they changed the Word of Wisdom - not to the public, not to the world, not to its members, once "members", and certainly not to investigators -while Mitt Romney was running for candidacy, October, 2012, that "caffeine" is not the problem; it is "hot drinks", maybe some women just don't like coffee or tea, but post them and hot chocolate are fine, and not iced tea, because it has caffeine... but caffeine is not the problem, we never said that. Two days later, on the website, the language was softened and not so Brut and nonchalant.

It seems to be they can just change it on their website, just like that, without the GC/GP, Ensign & Friend, to clarify for the kids... fast forward to this year and I know poor kids right now forbidden from drinking caffeine because it's got to be bad for you. I don't think the parents even know that caffeine is okay now/ it was never bad.

Once everybody is accepted in TMC, it will be too late to change it on their website: "we said what about gays?", excuse me? No way! We've always thought everyone was created equal and given equal opportunity to worship God, when, where, and how they may. We are the rainbow church. We accept everyone 24/7!!!!!!! 4 7 generations.

Changes come from pressure.
Pressure for the truth finds freedom, and leaves some wiggling, because they can't imagine flying just yet. Or don't believe they have the power. Or don't know how to use their wings.

The essays are changed only for a reaction. Everything has to go by the devil first.

M@t

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 04:35PM

What you want to watch for is the day the prez and/or the twelve actually put their signatures to these fairy tale accounts and explanations.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 08:06PM

The thing that's frustrating to me is if a change is made, whether it's the scriptures or doctrine or what have you, is that members always have a nice neat answer for it. (we have a living prophet that gives us ongoing revelation or he was speaking as man). The funny thing is they scream that doctrine never changes and god's morals won't be swayed by society, yet they also say we receive ongoing revelation for the times we live in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.