Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:31PM

People don't like Mormons, for the most part. If they had a good reputation, there would be no need for a movie showing how normal they are. But a big reason that people don't like Mormons is because they come across as so d@mn arrogant. They may not mean to or may not feel that way but the cultural norms of Mormonism lead to arrogance or the appearance of arrogance more often than not.

If you are disliked because you are arrogant, making a movie about how great you are seems like a really stupid move.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:40PM

CA girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are disliked because you are arrogant,
> making a movie about how great you are seems like
> a really stupid move.

I agree with this...and I also think there is a much more fundamental problem here with getting NON-Mormon paid admissions from the film-going public:

No one who is not ALREADY Mormon would likely EVER buy a ticket to see this unless:

1) They are in love with an LDS member and are thinking about the possibility (or are living with the reality) of being in a committed, long-term relationship with this person.

2) Someone they care about (family, friend, close professional associate...whatever) is a Mormon (or, in some cases, WAS once a Mormon).

3) Someone they care about (or are in love with), who is not presently a Mormon, is thinking about converting to Mormonism.

Who ELSE would pay money, or spend the time, to see this???

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 01:42PM by tevai.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 02:05PM

And the church PR department may be thinking that Mormons will be buying tickets for their non-LDS friends, forgetting that Mormons don't usually have many non-LDS friends and that Mormons are cheap.

Mormons are just so sure everyone want to know more about how they can be just like them. I think that's a factor here too but it goes back to point about arrogance - thinking someone will pay to find out more about what makes you tick.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:49PM

came up with the idea. Other people just don't care about the mormons. They will care about the mormons as much as they did when the commercials came out and they were FREE to watch.

When Bednar said that if the movie is out there, it will start people talking. I doubt most people will even know, let alone pay attention.

This will be a massive fail--just like all their other PR stuff has been.

Actually, my TBM daughter used to work with the guy who helped make this movie. She hasn't acted like it is any big deal, which means she thinks it is probably a foolish thing to do. She won't go to mormon made movies or listen to every wanna be star who puts out a CD in mormondom. She says mormons all think they have talent.

Of course, none of the mormons will have to pray to have it shown around here, it wil be in all the Megaplex theaters, owned by the Larry Miller group.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:58PM

If they tried to bribe me to go with a free ticket, free popcorn, and free soda, they might be able to get me to go. But I sure won't go if I have to buy my own $8.00+ ticket.

Maybe they could use some of the tithing money and earnings from the City Creek Mall to bribe non-Mormons to go see their movie.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 02:04PM

There are no earnings. That place is a money pit.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:32PM

The only theater it might be shown in in my town is a really cool theater and grill that gets all the indie and eclectic movies. They have a great grill and beer and wine that you can take into the movie with you. And incredible comfortable chairs. If it comes there, I might just go to see how corny it is and be sure and take a glass of wine in with me, since most of the people in the theater would be mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 05:42PM by NormaRae.

Date: September 29, 2014 02:03PM

I looked at the trailer and the people profiled in the movie are unlike 97% of any mormons I have ever known. Fat sad stressed out guy in a white shirt with his belly hanging over his belt dragging his kids to church. Gossiping ladies in the corner. Woman hysterically tailgating people everywhere she goes in her minivan or SUV. Why don't they profile those people? More accurate portrayal of real mormons.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:33PM

I was thinking the same thing! The found some Mormon folks who are unlike your average Mormon. Well played!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:34PM

My nonmo boyfriend moved here almost 2 years ago--to Cache Valley. He said the thing he noticed the most about drivers is they are always in a big hurry to get there and wherever they are going is so much more important than where you are going.

Date: September 29, 2014 06:08PM

I will never be able to accept how they "drive". Don't know where it comes from. They go 50 down my 25mph residential street...including minivans full of kids who look like they are not wearing seat belts. 90% of the swearing I do is in the car. That's how I vent. Otherwise my head would explode. I grew up in an area of the country where most people drove well and bad drivers were the exception. In Utah, it's the opposite. Most people are bad drivers and good drivers are the exception.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:05PM

Looks like theaters in the temple districts may get this but nowhere else outside of UT.

I'd rather go see this for laughs than anything put out by the mormons.

Bang Bang Hindi flic
http://www.fandango.com/bangbang_175287/movieoverview

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:49PM

that I respect. If they have the facts behind them what is there to dislike them....

Posted by: ICEMAN ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:35PM

So you respect offensive displays of superiority, self-importance and overbearing pride?

Google "Narcissist"

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:06PM

ICEMAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So you respect offensive displays of superiority,
> self-importance and overbearing pride?
>
> Google "Narcissist"
Yup, I respect Arrogant people alot more than likes of you who freely uses stupid adjectives,\.....

Looks like it is you who likes gesticulation....

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 12:19AM

Dawkins is arrogant, but he's a hero to many atheists.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:01PM

To be honest, I can't see the movie backfiring (very few non-mormons will watch it in the first place).

I just think the movie will do nothing at all (neither good or bad). This whole thing just seems pointless.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 07:42PM

Well said. Nothing will transpire.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:27PM

It'll be primarily ignored. Mormons are optimistically 0.2% of the world population. It's not hardly on the general population's radar screen.

The "Book of Mormon" musical will continue to have a lot greater impact on people's perception of Mormonism. When that gets made into a movie (and that's virtually guaranteed after the Broadway show revenue peaks out) it will get a much greater distribution and stay in the theaters MUCH longer that any "Meet the Mormons" film. That's entertainment the general population is willing to pay for.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:44PM

I think the mormon church is bogged down with religious "churning". In the disorder of hoarding, people often move around or "churn" their stuff to make it appear as if they have a plan and are busy organizing and sorting through things. But in reality, nothing is actually sorted through or gotten rid of, it is just "churned" to a new location.

At this point, TSCC leaders are just trying to convince the current members that the work is rolling forth and big things are unfolding as we head into the final days so keep your shoulder to the wheel, pay your tithing and go to the temple. And so they keep on "churning" the same old programs, talks, conferences, etc. and hope to bamboozle the members into thinking that it is something *new* or *improved* to get them excited and keep them too busy to think it all through.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:54PM

Business wise they will make money on the DVD sales to cover any production costs.

My guess is the movie theatre thing is a vanity project for whoever is in charge of this project. Someone will have a pic of the marquee in his office.

I would also guess the producers of this film are someway related to someone in LDS executive management.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 07:37PM

It doesn't matter how successful mormonism's attempts at marketing are. Anybody who develops curiosity is only a couple google searches from finding out what a controlling and dishonest organization it is. The best I can figure is they're trying to keep the existing members confident so they'll keep paying and being obedient.... that is, "it's okay to remain mormon."

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 08:41PM

Mormons are best unmet.

Date: September 29, 2014 10:50PM

Right you are.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 08:45PM

I think the movie will do exactly what it is intended to do....

which is... its basically a propaganda film meant for the already active believing Mormons...I don't think its meant for non Mormons at all. It's only even in the theaters in Utah really. And it isn't even being advertised, except for a bill board in Utah. They are basically asking all the members, during church, to go and support it... oh and bring a friend... right. The members will spend their money supporting it and it will have the desired effect of continued brainwashing. They will post about it online, thinking that they are "flooding the world with the gospel" but in reality they are just reinforcing their beliefs to themselves and their member friends. Because that is mainly who they facebook with. They will be convinced that Mormonism is a respected and valid religion.... when really most of the country and especially the world aren't even aware of it, or think it's a joke.....

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 08:52PM

Would Mormons want to see "Meet the Scientologists?" Would the mere existence of such a movie enhance Scientology's image?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 08:58PM

And what about "Meet the Westboro Baptists?" Wouldn't everyone run to see that?

It's all self promotion. Mormon's are just trying to be the new Kardashians.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:38PM

will it be playing at Brewvies Cinema ?

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:05PM

This movie reminds me oh how I felt about several of Michael Moore's movies. Putting aside politics, I was curious about how he would present things I didn't believe in. But more than that, I didn't want to let that asshole make any money on me. The movie came and went and I am no worse off for not seeing it.

Date: September 29, 2014 11:07PM

Everything the Mormon PR people do is shoddy. They never get any honest feedback, because all they do is talk to each other. Their approach is always condescending, because they think their big challenge is finding a way to persuade idiots to admire the church and its members. Actually, they are the idiots, and it comes across in every new project they foist on the long-suffering members.

"I'm a Mormon" was insultingly stupid, and probably cost Romney the presidency.

I clicked several times on "Because of Him" with all the good will in the world. My mind was totally open to a nice Easter message, but the video was just really, really bad.

Posted by: Nomomo4evermo ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 01:02AM

EVERYTHING the Church does, or Mormons do either, is shotty, tacky, and cheap. The Endowment films during the 1980s looked like cheap high school productions. Bad high school productions. The Public Affairs Department should be called the "Ministry of Propaganda". They have NO MORALS. No ethics at all! They're filled with frustrated "PR" people, most of whom wanted to work in politics, but they failed in the real world, and now must think of ways to convince the world that Mormons aren't a bunch of arrogant holier-than-thou hypocrites. So....THEY LIE!!! And they LIE A LOT!!!! I've never seen a Church film or video that wasn't tacky, cheap, condescending and just plain DUMB! Look at THE BOOK OF MORMON MOVIE if you want to see what is "typical". The only exception was Richard Dutcher's films, but he's OUT of Mormonism for good. Mormon art simply follows the Mormon mentality: juvenile, cheap, shoddy, tacky, corny, badly made....STUPID.

Posted by: Joe876 ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 01:06AM

If someone paid me to go, I'd laugh my head off through the whole movie!

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 06:30AM

Show up at the theatre in temple clothes with the bakers hat on and as many women as possible. Offer hand shakes and explain about polygamy and polyandry. Add some depth to the 'meet the mormons' experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2014 06:31AM by lilburne.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.