Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rocketscientist ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:31AM

On the fifth anniversary of the last one, I ask: will there be a full throated, jowl flapping defense of the Book of Mormon by Elder Dodo at conference this weekend? I hope so because they are so entertaining and so easily dismissed.

The missionaries have found me again and in anticipation of a discussion with them, I decided to come up with a succinct list of what is wrong with the BOM and that easily discredits Elder Dodo’s assertions. So here goes:

What’s wrong with the Book of Mormon?

1. Archeology: NO BOM sites have been found, not one.

2. Ancestors: DNA analysis proves that there are NO Israelite descendants living in the Americas.

3. Anachronisms: NO steel, horses, wheat, barley, coins, chariots, etc. existed in BOM times in the Americas. Then there is the problem of Deutero Isaiah; parts of the Book of Isaiah quoted in the BOM were written after Lehi got the brass plates (with the Isaiah quotes on them) and left Jerusalem.

4. Linguistics: the book reads like someone was dictating it “off the top of his head.” The names, carried over mistakes in translation from earlier documents and the use of King James style of English all point to a document that was written in modern times by a farm boy and others trying to fool the reader and consumed with either making money off of treasure or trying to correct the mistakes of the prevailing religious beliefs.

5. Mormon Theology: the theology of the BOM disagrees with the current LDS theology (physical god, Jesus separate from God, no teachings about preexistence and plan of salvation, no mention of temple ordinances, etc.). Huh?

6. Point of View: the book doesn’t address the lives and theology of nomadic Jews outside of Jerusalem (no description of temple rites, no discussion of the myriad of rules given the Bible, etc.), rather, it discusses the controversial topics of religious beliefs of frontier America in the 1800’s (Masonry, child baptism, structure of the church, etc.).

Given the above, it is a marvelous work and a wonder that educated people hold this book to be god’s word and that scholars at a major university study it as if it was ancient scripture. Old Joe would stand all amazed at the extent and success of his fraud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:37AM

I expect, as usual, subtle threats and criticism from a position of superiority. Lighthearted ridicule of unbelief. Invocation of eternal consequences.

Posted by: bizquick ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:43PM

Don't forget about the population problems associated with the BoM. In order for the Lamanite and Nephite civilizations to support such large armies, the annual population growth rate would have had to exceed 1.5%. This growth rate wasn't achieved until the mid-twentith century with the help of the industrial revolution and modern medicine.

Google "Book of Mormon population"

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 08:55PM

What ?!

an LDS GA having something worthwhile to say?

something we haven't heard 100's of times before?

something about the core of Christ's gospel (Love, Kindness, Honesty, Consideration)?

something that benefits the listeners / more than the Corp?

Please!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:11PM

Is GC on digital delay? I wonder if, in the unlikely event a GA were to go apostate on the podium, his performance would be cut...then CULT HQ would only have the 21K sheep in the conference centre to convince. I wonder about $hit like that.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.