Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 07:54AM

Why is the church pumping money into a glitzy movie knowing that it will probably only be seen by members who have an obligation to see it? is it just a larger part of the whole indoctrination thing? how much does it cost to do this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:45AM

I think it's just the brethren's failure to grasp reality. Inserting their "I'm a Mormon" commercials into shows people are already watching is one thing, but expecting nevermos to spend the time and money to go to a sales pitch pretending to be a movie, or to allow themselves to be dragged there by Mormons whose motives are laughably transparent, is something totally different -- and delusional.

Either that, or it's just an overblown pep talk to the troops.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:19AM

They probably had a lot of left over footage from filming the "I'm a Mormon" commercials. Someone asked "what should we do with it? Someone else had the idea "let's turn it into a movie."

No additional costs for filming.

A little editing cost (free as it was probably someone's church calling) to put it together.

Theaters in the Morridor run it = $$$$$ for the church.

Coming soon to DVD just in time for Christmas gifts = $$$$$$$$$.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:21AM

The LDS Church like most of them, have a PR dept of some sort and do advertising. It provides the members with something to use that is welcomed by the believers. People often want to share what they are happy with.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:32AM

Desperate people do desperate things. I really think Stray Mutt is right about it being a pep talk for the troops so that they feel good about themselves and are not embarrassed to believe the unbelievable.

It also smacks of being the reverse of that old saying,"Me thinks thou doth protest too much." Theirs is more like "Me thinks thou dost proclaim to be normal/special too much." If you really are lovely, praiseworthy, and of good report, people will notice. Tooting your own horn is just pathetic.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 12:14PM

I'm really angered at LD$ inc for the many ways they pick the pockets of their members. This is just one more way.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:25PM

It seems more like a Dilbert move. It was made by one group, and another group can't figure out what to do with it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:33PM

It is what a cult does.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.