Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:21AM

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/29/us/utah-family-deaths/index.html

Excerpt:

"[I]nvestigators are trying to determine how five family members died in a Utah home over the weekend.

"Officials identified the deceased relatives as father Benjamin Strack, 37; mother Kristi Strack, 36; son Benson Strack,14; daughter Emery Strack, 12; and son Zion Strack, 11.

"Another son of the couple found the bodies on Saturday night, the Springville Department of Public Safety said."

[More at link]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:01AM

I don't but those kids had the most mormon names I have ever heard, Benson and Zion?

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 02:41PM

It's probably carbon monoxide or everyone drank a toxic liquid in which it killed them. OR, maybe they were smothered one by one. Highly unlikely.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 02:52PM

Very strange. I assume the oldest was either out with friends or working. It may be the first time they turned on their heater this fall. The only thing that makes any sense is carbon monoxide. Maybe they were all watching a movie together. Strange that no one noticed the effects of CO. Then again, it's normal for kids to fall asleep while watching a movie. Maybe they all passed out thinking they were all just tired and falling asleep.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:25PM

They've ruled out carbon monoxide but what I thought was weird was that the oldest son, the one who found them, said he'd gone home to "check on his family." My son is about that age and if he were out with friends, it would never occur to him to come home and check on us, unless we'd been sick or something. My guess is that it's some kind of poisoning - like they got some food or drink that had been poisoned like in those Tylenol poisonings years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 03:26PM by CA girl.

Date: September 29, 2014 04:16PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 04:25PM

The article said they don't know if it was carbon monoxide. It said that they didn't find any in the home, but both the front and back door were cracked open, per another article. It said that would have allowed it to clear before they arrived.

The article said the medical examiner would have to get the toxicology results back to find out.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:33PM

We was "prompted". Opps, just a little to late there holy spook, better luck next time.

Posted by: Cupcake Baby ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:53PM

Damn. That's really, really sad.

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 04:07PM

Date: September 29, 2014 04:17PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:37PM

But, also, the first report was that the family who entered the house had left more than just the doors cracked, that windows were opened,too. So, I guess we won't know until toxicology comes in.

Also, the brother to the father is also named Zion.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:57PM

I just saw another article that claimed their pets were found safe, walking around, but not in the back bedroom. Strange!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 07:08PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just saw another article that claimed their pets
> were found safe, walking around, but not in the
> back bedroom. Strange!

Pending the conclusions of the post mortem...if I were one of the police detectives investigating this case, the fact that the pets are okay would be a gigantic, at least potential, red flag to me...

...I've never been a police officer, but in my first job---which included countless hours at Parker Center (anyone remember "Dragnet"???)---I READ many dozens of homicide and suicide reports...and the fact that the pets are okay would be the first thing I would check out......including getting blood drawn from each of the pets and having THEIR blood analyzed.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 07:10PM

Who puts a kitten in a locked room? Very odd indeed.

"A kitten found locked in a separate room was found alive."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865611993/Police-stumped-about-what-caused-Springville-family-deaths.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 07:11PM by summer.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:02PM

Strange. Toxicology will hopefully solve it.

Date: September 29, 2014 10:00PM

Things to think about.

Or another scenario could be that the carbon monoxide alarm went off. They opened the doors and windows,threw the cat into a closed room, and gathered in a room that they thought was safe enough to be in.

Date: September 29, 2014 10:05PM

That's easy enough to do without anyone noticing, especially since they were busy with a movie.

I implicate the teen.

Posted by: surroundednjudged ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:43PM

Some things just don't add up. Probably all innocent enough but how old was this child who found them and why hadn't he been at home all day? Who was it that last saw them alive at 7AM and if not the surviving child, had he been away overnight? Where? Why was the grandmother with him when he found them? Did they suspect something wrong? Were the doors/windows open when the son & grandma arrived or did they open them and if so, why? Did they smell something? Were they covering something up? The links provided to the stories leave a lot of facts still in question. I'm sure the police are following up on it all.

One of the stories mentioned that the three young victims were all home schooled. Could one or both parents have been kind of "out there" with their religious beliefs and decided they all should leave this world together?

In any case it is a tragedy. So much wasted potential. And the shock and grief of those left behind! Hopefully they can somehow recover.

Date: September 30, 2014 12:42AM

I think I read that the son who found them was 18. I don't know if he still lived there or not. There may be more information tonight than when I posted this.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:09PM

god needed more missionaries on the other side I guess.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 11:30AM

The parents lived down the street as children--they are from an offshoot polygamist cult family. This is very suspicious and sad.

Date: October 01, 2014 05:51AM

http://www.go fund me.com/strackfamilyfund (remove spaces)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 08:05AM

There were all found in one bedroom.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: October 01, 2014 09:51AM

Stumbling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There were all found in one bedroom.

That's common in many families even non Mormon ones. Everyone piles onto the king size bed and watches movies together.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.