Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:08AM

I haven't seen this announced here yet... the last of the Brent Metcalfe series was posted on Mormon Stories last week:

http://mormonstories.org/brent-metcalfe-mormon-apologetics-life-after-mormonism/

I REALLY enjoyed all of the Mormon Stories podcasts with Brent. He comes across as a really good genuine guy who knows quite a bit about church history. I'd recommend starting from the beginning and listening all the way through if you haven't already.

** SPOILER ALERT ** if you want suspense, then listen to the podcast above first... and stop reading here.

At the end of the last podcast, Brent and John jointly announce a new podcast partnership that they're going to start together called "Mormon Studies". There will be contributions of Mormon studies from members and non-members alike. Since I have an ongoing interest in studying church history (at least for now), I'm pretty excited to see what they put up there...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ish ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:09AM

I listened to the whole series. What struck me is Brent's positivity in the wake of many circumstances that could have left him embittered quite justifiably. I heard no irony in his well wishes for people on whatever path they are presently taking. I thought the podcast would bring up more reason to have contempt for the corporation, but I walked away wanting to be a less bitter and more positive person. So I have a new role model, and I will listen to the whole series again in a few weeks with what I hope will be a new, more positive attitude.

Thanks, Brent and John, for a superb experience.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:17PM

I agree with you... it's good to see someone walk away, move on with their life productively, and not harbor any ill will. Yet at the same time, Brent doesn't hold back and just tells it like it is.

I can relate to Brent in so many ways... to the point where I almost could anticipate what he'd say next on the podcast.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:17AM

I also listened Brent's story through John...
And yes....We give lots of hell to John some of us even called him a "turncoat" (not me, for the record).
John's service to LDS community has been invaluable...

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 02:59PM

Johns' keeps the old geezers guessing. Good on him.

Enjoyed the podcast.

I looked back on Kate Kelly and wonder if she is glad to be "out" of the church on record and practcing mormonism in her own way. Maybe she'll find that the African God is more forgiving and accepting of people the have different opinions on theology and managing religious beliefs. I kind of wonder if Kate is a bit bitter that she was ex'd and John hasn't been yet.

Good on Brent for being positive with all of his church history and moving along the path of discovery.

Posted by: fundamentard ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 08:59PM

I have to admit that I found the last part of his interview a little strange. He almost seemed to be defending the LDS church. He sees their changes as very positive and that might be true for someone like him who is out for twenty plus years. But to me the "changes" in the church are desperation measures to keep its power at all costs.

There is nothing the LDS church won't sacrifice to keep its power and money. Policies, doctrines, scriptures, all of it.

It is an opportunistic feeder,and nothing short of its death will be very satisfying to me after the way it has lied to and injured me.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:17PM

It's a great interview.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.