Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:37PM

William Law wrote three letters to the SL Tribune and was interviewed in person by a reporter.

Here are the letters, the interview can be dound online as well.

http://www.mazeministry.com/mormonism/newsletters_articles/newsweek/newsweek/lawint2.htm

Seems like Mormonism has been exposed for any to see a long time before the Internet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 04:46PM

John Hyde published this one in 1857 between the time Parley P. Pratt was murdered and the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

https://archive.org/details/mormonismitslea00hydegoog

LDS apologists often claim "there's nothing new from the anti-Mormon crowd," and Hyde's brilliant revelations and analyses lend credibility to their claims (one only wishes they would actually read and process what has been published, of course). Hyde points out there were no horses or elephants in the New World before Columbus' time, and there are scores of other equally incredible observations. I was just reminded of the depth of this work when I referenced it for this post (there are other on-line versions that may be downloaded. Google is your friend). I read it a few years ago during those six weeks of utterly horrible winter inversions here, and my concentration skills were way below par. I owe it another reading.

Just as one example, Hyde brings up the Spaulding manuscript and the obvious plagiarisms that found there way into the BOM.

I particularly liked this contrast between Brigham Young and Joseph Smith.

>The whole secret of Brigham's influence lies in his real sincerity. Brigham may be a great man, greatly deceived, but he is not a hypocrite. Smith was an impostor; that can be clearly established. Brigham Young embraced Mormonism in security, conscientiously believed, faithfully practiced, and enthusiastically taught it. As devoted to Smith as Kimball now to himself, he reverenced him as a Prophet and loved him as a man. For these of his religion, he has over and over again left his family, confronted the world, endured hunger, came back poor, made wealth, and gave it to the Church. He holds himself prepared to lead his people in sacrifice and want, as is plenty and east. No holiday friend, nor summer Prophet, he has shared their trials , as well as their prosperity. He never pretends to more than "the inward monitions of the Spirit;" and, not as Smith, to direct revelations and physical manifestations. No man prays more fervently, nor more frequently, than Brigham Young.

(p. 170)

And here's his acknowledgement of Brigham role in history:

>It is not presumption in me thus to direction your attention to this subject. Having made yourself so conspicuous, you have given any one the right to address you. I have spoken to you as a prophet; as a man to a man I now write to you. I admire your genius, but I deplore its exercises. I no more dread your enmity than I fear your priestly anathemas. The slanders your coadjutors may attempt to circulate, I despise. You told the people once "your words were but wing;" as wintry may be safely encountered.

>I confidently believe the time will come when honest men will be undeceived, desert your standard, and leave you forsaken and sorrow-stricken to remorse for the past and terror for the future. To this end I shall labor, and constantly and fervently pray that your power and your system may find a speedy and an eternal grave; that it may be sunk in the oblivion of its own mysteries, and be buried under the mountain of its own ignominy.

John Hyde, Jun.

New York, July, 1857

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 06:50PM

I love how William Law speaks of his personal relationship of Joseph Smith's character this way...

"It was his policy to get away with a man's money, first, because he wanted it, and second, because he believed that in getting a man's money he deprived him of power and position, and left him in a measure helpless and dependent."

Years ago I read a quote from JS that said something to the affect of "separate a man from is purse and you've got him for life". I've never forgotten that.

Now consider if you were a new member from England and just arrived in Nauvoo, JS would have hiked up your lot of land price so high as to render your penniless just to build a shack. Land speculation baby...great way to swindle an unsuspecting migrants money. What are you supposed to do...walk back to England and starve? Hardly. You were now screwed.

I was taken back to my last 2 years in Young Women's where I was taught that I should not concern myself with money as that was not my role. Right then and there I knew exactly what that meant...dependency, risk, poverty, and self damnation. I grew up with a set of parents who fought CONSTANTLY over money. I knew what that meant. I also knew the prevailing culture in the church where everyone had to be "frugal", live providentially, everything had to be done on the cheap and then you had to boast about how cheap your powdered milk was and how you don't concern yourself with store bought this or that. Being broke was emulated.

Imagine my surprise when I grow up and see how the MLM leaders...er, I mean the church leaders live...lavish homes, unlimited charge cards, constant VIP's and VIP events. I raise my concerns and get told how hard they work for the church. I think to myself..."ummm, I just put in 40 hours this past week on my calling and got NADA". When I found out that these "leaders" were not theologians, but rather CEO's, businessmen and doctors. I was floored, betrayed and enraged. So, it's ok for some elite families to be wealthy, dripping with gold and silver and all the fine things of the world while the rest of the "saints"...especially the women and children...could NEVER know the power of money and the peace it brings to your life when you know you have enough to keep yourself alive AND have enough to build a good and solid future for yourself.

Tithing...fast offerings...and a number of other "donations", your TIME and ENERGY,...all designed to weaken you and strengthen the church...literally because all the time you spend worrying about your finances...you deplete your energy, become tired...less vibrant and much less of a threat to the church. And the church...they go build malls and throw VIP parties for movies that they produce to make them look like gods.....

Take back your money....starve them.

http://www.mazeministry.com/mormonism/newsletters_articles/newsweek/newsweek/lawint2.htm.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 07:01PM

Excellent points, Lori C. No church needs 10% of your money to run. The average donation to Christian churches in the U.S. has been estimated to be 2.7% of a family's income. With this money, churches pay not only for their buildings, utilities, maintenance, and materials, but also numerous salaries as well.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:07AM

Yeah but they will never get a mall that way.

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 07:21PM

Many churches are actually wanting to help you in your life. I've personally been helped at times with food parcels...for free, nothing asked when I was desperate.

The LDS church takes everything you have...and then shames you for not having anything left to dig your own grave.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 09:19PM

I've rather enjoyed the William Law letters years ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.