Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:40PM

Has anyone else heard this? Not ten minutes ago a stake president here in Colorado announced that the prophet seer, and revelator had a revelation that "The "Saints" had to be prepared because the Oceans are receding!? I thought sea levels were rising? Is this something out there in the land of the Seer?

I can't believe its true because it is so out of character for Monson. This stake pres has said and warned about similar disasters before so just curious.

He said it is in the September ensign message?

This is like a throwback to the 80s when I grew up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:48PM

Monson has dementia

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:49PM

You got it. Braincells receding more like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2014 01:49PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:50PM

LOL!

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 12:55PM

...more like receding hairlines.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 06:08PM

lol, also one of the past prophets said the sea is the devil or something like that. Maybe he means the devil is receeding.

Date: September 28, 2014 01:54PM

Hahah probably right.

Oceans receding? What does that even mean? Where the hell are they going? More Antarctic ice? Into a pit in the earth?

Posted by: Sweet Spirit ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:01PM

Maybe they think global warming is evaporating the water? Oh, but then they would have to admit that global warming is fact.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:02PM

Reminds me of the 90s when everyone was expecting the Second Coming and prepping to walk to Missouri.

There's no scientific evidence to support the notion that oceans are receding, but Monson probably wants to scare everyone back into the "Second Coming is imminent" mindset.

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:06PM

Can anyone definitely cite this? I wanna warn my family! Is there like a Rogain for the ocean? Or maybe we could transplant some water from somewhere.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:14PM

all above WRONG!

it's his hair line that's receding! (and the other GAs)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:35PM

The tide comes in, the tide goes out. But just keep trying Monson, sooner or later one of your prophecies will make sense.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:38PM

Florida has sinkholes all over it. Is the Florida land rising or sinking? Only the Profit knows! Is that why he claims the waters are receding??? Or is he just hoping the land the church invested in will still be there in a few years?????

Follow the Profit Follow the Profit Follow the Profit he’ll lead you astray!

Rising water in Pakistan
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2014/04/02/Villagers-in-Pakistan-face-threat-from-rising-seawater/31374023587237/

Guess it doesn’t matter if you’re not white and delightsome
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/majauli-worlds-largest-river-island-is-shrinking-and-sinking/1/344252.html

The Pacific Islander, the Lamanites, according to the TSCC, will be surprised to hear the waters are receding; because they are not:
http://www.dw.de/sinking-islands-battle-tides-of-climate-change/g-17513119

Then there are satellite pictures from an “out there” site:
http://www.zetatalk.com/newsletr/issue225.htm

Some people who have 10 feet of water still in their towns were told it was because it had been raining. The people wonder about that, because it hadn’t rained in six months, so why hadn’t the waters gone down and drained away?

Then there is this video of the flooded land of Indonesia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC57GD6MZjA

Posted by: greengobbleyguck ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 03:13PM

Damn counselor has twisted Tommy's words. Stupid ass.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:52PM

The SP is off his meds. There's nothing in Monson's message about the oceans receding. It's just the same generic blather about pay off your debt, have some reserves handy, we live in uncertain times... and, oh yes, obey the prophets.

If "oceans receding" had been in the Ensign it would have been the talk of this board, the NOM board, and the TBM boards.

Date: September 28, 2014 03:15PM

I think you might be on to something. Last year the guy got the whole stake fired up last year by telling everyone that he felt inspired to tell them something like "this year will be THE YEAR when we find out who is prepared and who isn't in the stake."

Of course nothing happened even though some people were pretty freaked. Not he heard something about "the oceans receding?"

Wow.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 05:27PM

Thinking more about it – the only ocean the church cares about is the Ocean of Tithing it collects.

If that's what the SP was talking about... yeah, THAT ocean is receding, I'll bet.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:56PM

Someone is mistaken.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/09/are-we-prepared?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2014 03:00PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: claw_hammer ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 03:25PM

This is obviously a load of turd.

A quick review of Monsons message reveals it contains nothing of the sort. It would be highly irregular for the first presidency message to contain anything you might describe as prophecy.

But the question that comes to mind mainly, Even if the oceans were receding, surely that is not immediately a big deal if you live in Colorado??!!

Mormons are weird.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 03:49PM

"Has anyone else heard this? Not ten minutes ago a stake president here in Colorado announced that the prophet seer, and revelator had a revelation that "The "Saints" had to be prepared because the Oceans are receding!? I thought sea levels were rising? Is this something out there in the land of the Seer?

Based on posts earlier in the week...Everything Monson and the rest of the leaderships says always have disclaimers..

Posted by: sunshine ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 05:16PM

This is classic mormon.

A few weeks ago our Stake had a special visitor who told everyone that if they didn't pay tithing, its an uncertain world, its the only way to protect your family.

Like some mafia collecting their racket money.

So yeah, people are leaving? Tithing is going down? Hell no. Tell them a disaster is imminent and they're family are going to starve and die horrible deaths if:

a) They stop paying tithing.
b) Leave the church as its the only safe place to be
c) Follow the prophet, don't go astray.

#notacult

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 05:30PM

The stake president is acting like a nutcase. It is not his place to announce revelation from the prophet. That is supposed to come from the top 15 in an official announcement.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:34AM

Monson said no such thing.
His article in the Ensign is about emergency preparedness but he does not say the Oceans are receding.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2014/09?lang=eng

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:52AM

maybe he said something about 'reseeding.' Maybe the lawn of his ocean front property needed 'reseeding', and the stake president didn't hear it right.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:14AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that your SP is an absolute idiot. He probably meant rising, but being a mor(m)on, and trying to sound smarter than he is, he got the wording wrong.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:04AM

That gets my vote. Stupidity is the default explanation for anything heard in Mormonism that makes no sense.

Posted by: lv skeptic ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:35AM

When I was on my mission, a local member of the high council returned from visiting General Conference. In the next local stake conference, he spoke on being "prepared." The message that he had come away with from GC was that if you had not acquired your year's supply of stored food, it was now too late to do so, and that you were going to starve.

Note - this was in 1973.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:54AM

Both were speaking as men (in need of medication...STAT!)

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 12:30PM

The oceans recede every day, and then they come back. Sometimes they do this twice a day.

As for the long term pattern, if we keep melting the ice in Greenland and Antarctica, then the oceans will rise and we will lose cities like Venice, New Orleans and then maybe even places like Miami, New York, and London.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 12:43PM

Well, if you consider the inland 'oceans', they ARE receding.

Case in point, Lakes Mead and Powell.

It's all too sadly twoo.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:19PM

He might have his words mixed up. He meant membership numbers are receding. And the food storage is for the leaders because tithing is drying up so they'll need to cutback. The only calamity members face that is true about the church is that it's in its death throws and it will surprise many how quickly it will decline in the next two decades. They'll be a point where they just can't hide it anymore. Bigger and bigger defections and I imagine some great spin about how this is all in line with prophecy (as they sweep contradictory messages about growing to fill the earth into the opinions and speaking as a man bin).

Well know when it really bites when the quorum of the 70 gets reduced to the quorum of the 60. It'll be announced as a round of efficiency improvements but we'll all know they've been laid off to cut costs.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:43PM

Seven Chinese Brothers

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.