Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:39PM

Considering some recent legal matters concerning NFL played and spousal abuse, what message does this send?

‘Withholding Sex’ Now Considered ‘Sexual Violence’ at U of M
Also “discounting the partner's feelings regarding sex.”

The University of Michigan has released a list of relationship behaviors that it considers violent and abusive — including “withholding sex.”

“Discounting the partner’s feelings regarding sex,” “criticizing the partner sexually,” and “having sex with other people” are also examples of “sexual violence,” according to the list.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...onsidered-sexual-violence-u-m-katherine-timpf

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2014 01:40PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:12PM

Withholding can be a form of emotional abuse (especially when done to punish the partner and then denied), but I'm not seeing how lack of sex equals any kind of "violence."
Criticizing the partner's sexual behavior and discounting their feelings can likewise be emotionally abusive, but "violent?" Not seeing it, and I was in an emotionally and verbally abusive relationship for years.

Abusive and violent are not the same thing, although they can often come packaged together and abuse can escalate into violence. Labeling abusive behaviors as "violent" not only confuses discussion and understanding of what abuse is, it makes the task of getting people to take domestic abuse seriously just that much harder.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:53PM

Hi Ron, the link says the article "couldn't be found."

My Mom was a National Review subscriber from its beginnings. I have personal met Buckley and Goldwater. Goldwater became a gay rights supporter in his old age; and although Buckley engaged in some infamous name calling with Gore Vidal, I can't imagine he'd be against marriage inequity. IMO, conservatism to these two meant limited government, fiscal responsibility, and the best governed are the least governed.

If Michigan has this policy, that policy is truly fucked up as the university has no place in the bedroom. No always means no, what a couple determines As their sexual practices are (unless it harms others) is their business. If an individual doesn't like the lack of sex, that individual can call the relationship off.

The only way Michigan's stance could be legit is if in psychological research, withholding sex is being described as an indicator of passive aggressive behavior. Research and counseling materials are one thing, policies are another. Boner.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 06:28PM

Hi Boner...Maybe the link was taken down. I was just re-posting it from another site I'm addicted to.....

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2014 06:29PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 03:26PM

Yep.
And
Yep.

I haven't read this article yet but you're both right, LR&icedtea.

Listening to coasttocoastam last night, this morning, a biologist, named Dan Risken, PHD, discussed, in his book, entitled, "Mother Nature Is Trying To kill You", aspects about testosterone's (side effects, if I may) lifecycle, to put it simply.

He spoke about how as humans we take lovingly to babys/ cute things-animals, like little puppies (with big round eyes in proportion to their heads) - he also said "would a lion be interested in taking care of a goldfish" - (so very funny) and we want to take care of them.

He talked about bats, drakes, bedbugs, rats, spiders, and more; it/ he was/ is a very interesting program-discourse-interview, and certainly, book. I need to listen to it, again, when I can find the time, and am "awake".

The slower animal more likely gets devoured. DNA. Zeepras.

Rats are born to be afraid of cats, the smell of felines urine, and the sight of a cat, of course. Except the cat needs a parasite which the rat has. So when the rat has this parasite, he will not only lose his fear of the cat but also actually become attracted to and sexually aroused by cats/ cats urine and it will be more likely to get "picked off".

BATS, (incl. Vampire Bats, which are only three, of about 1,200 species),

DRAKES (ducks), and forced population (except with a c), (r)ape culture in the duck world, as it is known, or not. Dan said just go online and look for "exploding duck - 'weiner' - (but with a p and having five letters)" [I haven't seen it so I can't recommend it or dissuade you against it]. I won't go on about how drakes have xes, [in one third of a second, faster than the blink of an eye] and save everyone for now (unless they ask about it or something) [I'm actually intending to post the whole story and link soon. I meant to do it live but I was too tired... and probably on RFM] unless they've already the knowledge, dare I say wisdom. It's still PG (pretty good). Maybe in the post on the story, after the storm passes tonight and I've slept at least once, it would be R (really)?

Anyway, go on with this thread, and weave it into the greatness this place izzz.

M@t

Date: September 28, 2014 09:51PM

Sex is a means and an end. It is not, however, necessarily a means to and end... except at U. of M. Really? Have other"learning" institutions taken this sharp turn on freedom? Is this a surprise, coming from the University of Michigan? (I haven't been following the subject). Does anyone know?

(1)“Discounting the partner’s feelings regarding sex,” (2)“criticizing the partner sexually,” and (3)“having sex with other people” are also examples of “sexual violence,” according to the...

Sex with other people isn't "violence". I've had sex with other people... had anyone else? LINKS working Ron?

M@t

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 10:20AM

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.... :/

Date: September 30, 2014 12:41AM

gettinreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't want to live on this planet anymore.... :/

I feel ya'. Find anything better please let us know... but I know what you mean.

I didn't know why I wanted to come in on yout planet comment, until, that was it! Just now, on the playlist, at this moment, came "Captain Planet" - that's pretty good. You always get what you need.

I'm going to see captain planet.

Date: September 29, 2014 05:00PM

Oh, I forgot about this spider that has (detachable) "thing(s)", on each side of his head; and he puts his dong(s) in [her] and then can leave them. That way he can still be having xes with her but not have to be there (maybe it is good for her too). I think it is a safety mechanism for him. Like he wants to live or something, I guess.

Detachable pee pees, two of them, and on your head. I like walking on two legs.

I don't know about this. I just heard it from the biologist-author. It does sound like an interesting piece of work, or book, conversation.

How can I go on without mentioning - spiders - black widows, the male knows he is going to die, so, he brings a very big gift of food. The bigger the gift the longer it takes her to devour it, before she devours him... it just postpones the inevitable, keeps her busier longer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 11:40PM by moremany.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 12:45AM

They're not talking about "withholding sex" in the sense of one person just not being in the mood on a particular occasion. Obviously, it's normal to say no occasionally.

They mean a pattern of withholding sex to punish the partner. This, oddly enough, is common among men with passive-aggressive tendencies. It happened to me in a relationship, and later I read that passive-aggressive emotional abusers are notorious for it. Often the man who behaves this way will masturbate or cheat at the same time he's telling his partner he's too tired or whatever.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.