Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sandie ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 08:27PM

Was the decision of excommunication reversed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 08:47PM

?

Posted by: Doug the Apostate ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 09:20PM

Since a woman can be excommunicated by a bishop and his counselors, a woman's recourse is to appeal to the stake president who takes evidence from the bishop (and if he chooses, any evidence from the accused/excommunicated woman). In Kate's case, the person bringing evidence for excommunication WAS HER STAKE PRESIDENT. So in essence, she was appealing to her accuser. He told her the appeal has been received. She also sent an appeal to Salt Lake because of the blatant conflict of interest.

I can ask my wife, but I don't think a response has been issued yet.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 04:37PM

It's just paperwork. Nothing will change.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 04:50PM

Isn't that typical.. A woman can be exed by the local bishopric, but a man requires a level up! Yet they insist they aren't misogynists.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 11:07PM

The "level up" (requiring the stake high council) applies to Melchezedik priesthood holders; all others are done at the bishopric level. For the majority of cases it is as you say.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 06:02PM

She won't be re-instated any time soon, and she would only ever be re-instated if she openly confessed that she'd been (in a word) broken by LDS leadership.

Also, the church has no incentive to bring her back any time soon, because by axing her, they pretty much obliterated the "Ordain Women" movement in one fell swoop.

Posted by: Doug the Apostate ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 10:35PM

Not obliterated. Actively reloading. Will be getting 501c status soon. Many woman asking how to donate since they refuse to pay tithing to the Morg. Interesting to see where they go next.

Someday some of these women will leave the Morg. taking their talents with them. But there is an army of conformist women who happily obey. As long as there are enablers there will be the enabled.

Posted by: builderbob ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:02AM

Tal, I'm wondering, on what evidence are you basing your statement of OW being obliterated? Like Doug the Apostate, the women I know who are affiliated with OW are going strong, they have the support of a great number of men, and their numbers are growing. I thnk they're just getting started, What evidence makes you think otherwise?

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 12:58PM

The movement was not obliterated, but was alienated which I think was their exact intention. Eventually, individual people will either shut up and remain in the fold, or leave the Church altogether.

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 11:05PM

A reversal isn't likely, but I am reliably informed that the SP hasn't acted yet on the appeal. Somebody submitted this thing like a legal brief to the SP. It's pretty good.

http://ordainwomen.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Kate-Kelly_-Statement-in-Support-of-Appeal-_Nadine-Hansen.pdf

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.