Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 06:58PM

Dress-code enforcement draws parent, student ire

http://news.msn.com/us/dress-code-enforcement-draws-parent-student-ire

Looks like the AP picked up the story...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 07:16PM

Thanks for the link, S.I.I.! There was only video available from another link a couple of days, but this one has pictures.

The young lady in question looks like she was dressed for an appearance on "Dancing With the Stars."

Saree

Posted by: finallygetsit ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:02PM

When you said she looked like she was dressed for dancing with the stars, I totally expected to see something like this:

http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/2011/03/dancing-with-the-stars-mike-catherwood-and-lacey-schwimmer-first-results-show-in-last-place.jpg

Posted by: anonymouse2 ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 12:11AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/opinion/58459969-82/bully-principal-students-bullying.html.csp

"Bingham principal delivers lesson on bullying
First Published Sep 26 2014 06:59 pm • Last Updated Sep 26 2014 06:59 pm

The Principal at Bingham High School should be commended not criticized for her enforcement of the school dress code. She was, after all, trying to teach the targeted young women a valuable lesson. She demonstrated her capacity to be a "bully" and what "bullying" is all about.

Bully, as a noun, is "a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker." Principals are strong. Students are weaker. I am sure the students now know who is stronger and who can impose her will over others.

Bully is also defined as a verb, "to use superior strength or influence (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants."

"Go home or cover up your exposed body parts."

What the principal was unartfully trying to do was demonstrate what it feels like to be bullied. She was very successful, now those young women know what it is like to be bullied. Normally we associate the act of bullying with students’ actions relating to other students. The principal was just trying to be one of her students. "See, I can bully you. Not a nice feeling, is it?"

The principal should be congratulated as the great teacher and educator she is. Now those young women and all of us know what it is to be bullied. So, Ms. Principal, as Teddy Roosevelt would say, "Bully to you."..."

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 07:28PM

It's pretty clear that these administrators were operating on LDS modesty "standards" which are based on strange ideas such as erotic spines and sexy shoulders.

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 07:32PM

Posted by: Anon Dunn ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 08:53PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 08:53PM by Anon Dunn.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 09:39AM

I would like to see a direct comparison of the "similar" outfits were allowed in. Is there any favoritism going on? Like obvious Mormon girls getting to bend the rules, while obvious non-Mormon girls getting the boot? The dress they show doesn't look immodest at all and seems to fit the Mormon dress code standard. Apparently it didn't say "no bare shoulders," just that the dress needs to be as high as the arm pits, which hers is, and secured. I wish I could see more of the black dress. It doesn't look immodest at all, judging by the one photo. I really wish news stories would provide more pictures, particularly in stories like this one, where I would really like to see what the fuss is about. None of the dresses I have seen so far appear to be immodest or in poor taste.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 09:42AM

The whole thing is just stupid. I wonder what the girls on the school's swim team are allowed to wear?

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 10:12AM

+1!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:19PM

Victorian era bathing costumes perhaps?

Ron Burr

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 10:12AM

The article was clear on what everyone's upset about: some students were pulled out of line and targeted, while others wearing similar clothes were allowed in. Even worse, school officials decided one girl's dress was too short, but refused to allow her to sit and prove the dress came to mid-thigh, and refused to look at photos that showed it complied. That sounds like targeting to me. No wonder the parents and students were angry!

If compliance was so important that administrators planned to humiliate students publicly and prevent them from enjoying the event, why didn't they prepare the students by showing photos of acceptable/non-acceptable attire, send flyers home to the parents, and clearly define with measurements (two inches above the kneecap, for example) what the rules are? Better yet, why didn't they get parent and student input or allow parents and students to make the rules themselves?

This reeks of Mormon control.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 10:31AM

I'm not arguing with your overall point, but it's not "students," it's "girls."

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 02:51PM

The boys who didn't get to go to prom because their dates were denied entry (and the parents of those boys) were probably pretty upset, too. That's why I said "students." Even though the girls were targeted, both boys and girls were affected.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 01:17PM

If the 600 population, two ward town with a school enrollment of 200 kids Kindergarten through High School could post pictures so could this school!

The Home Economics teacher put patterns on the school bulletin board for the girls to look at and know what, specifically the school dress code wanted covered.

The mostly Mormon public school didn't have any issues with prom dresses.

Although I would have loved to give the poor girls and their Moms some ideas about all over body/bra/panty under wear because the girls looked ghastly in their thin jersey prom dresses that showed every bra and panty line and left nothing to the imagination.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 02:45PM

icedtea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> If compliance was so important that administrators
> planned to humiliate students publicly and prevent
> them from enjoying the event, why didn't they
> prepare the students by showing photos of
> acceptable/non-acceptable attire, send flyers home
> to the parents, and clearly define with
> measurements (two inches above the kneecap, for
> example) what the rules are? Better yet, why
> didn't they get parent and student input or allow
> parents and students to make the rules themselves?
>
>

isn't this super ironic, considering they are EDUCATORS. If it was on a state test, you bet they'd leave no ambiguity.
> This reeks of Mormon control.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 01:01PM

Reading this story stirred feelings of gratitude. As a high school student, I grew up LDS in California. That wasn't so bad. But if I was in Utah while a HS student, EVERY FRIGGIN' DAY would have felt like Sunday. Screw that!!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 03:16PM

What I don't understand is how the dress code is missed while parents are spending big bucks on a dress for a girl.
They know the code, backwards and forwards, but they push the limit anyhow then complain. Really?

Posted by: To hell in a handbasket ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:07PM

The reason they might be complaining is because the enforcement is very selective. And from the looks of it, not all of the cases actually violate the dress code. If i was a parent of any of those girls, i think id have a bitch fit too! Theres no reason to enfore your religious standards on someone elses kids, especially in a public system. And yes, i understand that rules are rules. But sometimes, rules arent all the worlds about. Especially in public school... Ive been reprimanded for having my hands under the lunch table before. Huh? But an old person said it was wrong, so it must be law... No hands under the table..

Posted by: selinababe ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 03:31PM

I love the dresses they are wearing.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 06:57PM

I think they could loosen the code a bit,but the girls were foolish to spend big bucks on a dress that was not allowed.The knew the might well be asked to cover up.The code wasnt that Draconian. You could wear short skirts and bare shoulders,but I do think the back thing could be relaxed a bit. I also would like to see the dresses that were supposedly similar and which were allowed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.