Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 12:48PM

I live in SE Idaho and this winter(along with most of the country) has been hit pretty hard with cold weather- but Idaho is generally cold in the winter anyway. Below 0 days, snow, wind, etc.

The sisters in the area are not prepared AT ALL for a regular/typical Idaho winter, let alone a damn cold one. Wearing only dress boots, no warm gloves, no scarves, no hats, thin dress coats, in nylons and dresses- a bit under prepared.

So my question is- doesn't the church give the mishies a list of proper climate attire for the area they're called? Or is that the responsibility of the missionary? I mean seriously- these gals should be aware that Idaho is cold for 6 months of the year, why are they so unprepared?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chloe ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 01:36PM

They should.
But the "church" does not care, they can't be bothered.

And if people are dumb enough to wear only nylons in an Idaho winter, well you just can't fix stupid.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 01:51PM

Perhaps a clothing drive is in order.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:10PM

I have a step sister on a mission who seemed to have thought that Alabama was like Florida in the winter, so she didn't bring enough cold weather clothing. That means that her Christmas gifts this year are going to be a heavy jacket, and other things one needs in colder weather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 02:10PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:12PM

They give you a list, all right. A lot of missionaries choose not to buy it, not to wear it once bought, or carry it around with them once they are on location. I bought DS all the stuff on his list for Quebec, where you know it's cold. But it was to much to cart around, so he gave it away and went without.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 02:33PM

The Old Geezer F***in' Users in SLC don't give a rat's A$$ if the missionaries that they are currently USING dress for the cold or not. Why should they care? It's not like their fat a$$es are freezing. It's not as if they are REALLY Christ's church, they are a profit seeking corporation with really GOOD lawyers and an endless pot of money.

Posted by: SwirlyThing ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 05:39PM

They are not appropriately dressed here in Florida either. Even when it's 97 degrees and terrible humidity, they are in dress shirts and long pants with an extra layer of garments underneath.... and riding bicycles instead of cars with air conditioning. I hope they brought lots of sunscreen.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 05:46PM

I bought ever thing listed but only really used a few items.
Young and stupid. That part had nothing to do with the church.
Although I know how to survive. I saw many Elmers that should have gone back to mommy and daddy.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 06:21PM

Hahaha!!! Elmers! I think that's what we should call them from now on. Perfect!

Posted by: tevainotloggedin ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 02:23AM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hahaha!!! Elmers! I think that's what we should
> call them from now on. Perfect!

:-) !!!

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 05:52PM

When I was a kid we lived in the mountains of PA and it gets damn cold. Icicles from the roof to the ground. Hanging out clothes on the line would freeze them.

We didn't wear hats, socks, gloves while waiting for the bus. We did wear coats though.

Maybe they are acclimated to the cold if where they came from was already cold.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 08:35PM

Acclimated to the cold just means that it's okay to walk from the car in the parking lot to the store and back again with out being properly dressed. It's not an excuse for bare legs and dress shoes while out pounding the pavement during a wind chill warning.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 09:03PM

My TBM sister was older when she went on her mission, & had already lived away from home in a much larger city. She knew how to prepare for different kinds of weather.

Except it didn't help that the damn MP didn't allow them to have a car or ride bikes, so they were falling on the icy sidewalks even in winter boots.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 10:06PM

In Australia the missionaries from Utah - all pink - are out in the Aussie sun all day with no hats.

This is an OH&S issue as far as I'm concerned, not just gross negligence on the part of the CULT, but a deliberate choice to place profits above safety. They CULT seems to think hats and sunglasses on their salespeople will effect their bottom line.

If anyone here feels they were exposed to too much UV during their missions, that could be a lawsuit. It would be easy to calculate how many hours over 2 years you were expose.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 11, 2013 10:16PM

I sometimes see customers dressed like they are in southern California here. I think they are crazy. Our staff dresses for the weather. At least we're smarter than the morning missionaries!

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: December 12, 2013 02:56AM

well the girls aren't allowed to wear pants, so whatever they wear they are going to be cold. I have been wearing two northface down coats at a time.

The missionaries are proberly only allowed to wear dress coats, which aren't very warm in 10 degrees. that was the high temp hear in Colorado the other day. The missionaries are controlled so tightly to even their underwear and bedtime, they might as well live in a prison.

The mission president and his pretty little wife get extra incentives and creature comforts while they serve. It is really unjust.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.