Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: prefan84 ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 01:20AM

I never liked the following verse, it is found in

Mosiah 3 Verse 19:

"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."

I remember reading this and questioning it as a deacon. Most people that I knew, even those that didn't attend church were very friendly and appeared to be good people. Why did God feel the need to declare them as enemies? Was everyone that wasn't a mormon really so awful to God?

Scriptures like Mosiah 3:19 are among the worst because they pit mormons against everyone else. I hate the "us vs. them" mindset that is perpetuated by the LDS and other religions.

The second half of the scripture is a veiled threat and equally as awful as the first part. Blind and never ending obedience, no thanks.

Anyone else have verses from the BoM that they hate?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 02:22AM by prefan84.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 07:31AM

Wherefore, as I said unto you, it must needs be expedient that Christ. (Oops! Why didn't I say the messiah! Darn darn darny darn!)—for in the last night the angel spake unto me that this should be his name—should come among the Jews, among those who are the more wicked part of the world; and they shall crucify him—for thus it behooveth our God, and there is none other nation on earth that would crucify their God. 2 Nephi 10:3

And suddenly the people of the Book of Mormon start living the Methodist/Protestant Christian many hundreds of years before Christianity, whilst still professing to live the law of Moses.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 10:17AM

Argonaut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wherefore, as I said unto you, it must needs be
> expedient that Christ. (Oops! Why didn't I say the
> messiah! Darn darn darny darn!)—for in the last
> night the angel spake unto me that this should be
> his name—should come among the Jews, among those
> who are the more wicked part of the world; and
> they shall crucify him—for thus it behooveth our
> God, and there is none other nation on earth that
> would crucify their God. 2 Nephi 10:3

I'd never noticed this before. Christ isn't a name - it is a title and it comes from the Greek word which means 'anointed'
It was used, amongst other things, to refer to athletes who were anointed with oil prior to athletic games.
It's only after the (supposed) timespan of the BoM that it has come to be used exclusively for Jeebus

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 10:48PM

"Christ" is the Greek version and is found ONLY (in the KJV) in
the New Testament.

"Messiah" is the Hebrew version and is found ONLY (in the KJV)
in the Old Testament.

Whoever wrote the Book of Mormon did not understand the two
words. That's why both are used in the BOM. Sometimes in the
same verse:

"16 And after they have been scattered, and the Lord God hath
scourged them by other nations for the space of many
generations, yea, even down from generation to generation until
they shall be persuaded to believe in CHRIST, the Son of God,
and the atonement, which is infinite for all mankind—and when
that day shall come that they shall believe in CHRIST, and
worship the Father in his name, with pure hearts and clean
hands, and look not forward any more for another MESSIAH, then,
at that time, the day will come that it must needs be expedient
that they should believe these things."
--2 Nephi 25:16

"19 For according to the words of the prophets, the MESSIAH
cometh in six hundred years from the time that my father left
Jerusalem; and according to the words of the prophets, and also
the word of the angel of God, his name shall be Jesus CHRIST,
the Son of God."
---2 Nephi 25:19

Now I wonder which word in "Reformed Egyptian" got translated
as "Christ" and which as "Messiah"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 11:01PM by baura.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 10:40AM

There's a whole lot of poisonous and destructive ideas, concepts and teachings in the BoM, but the passage that bothers me the most happens to be the one you mentioned.

"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."

Besides the Hobbesian idea that human nature itself is evil, which is destructive in itself, the author teaches that the only way to tame that evil nature is through submission to authority. Note the verbs "yield" and "put off". Very telling. It came from another christian concept, that of "thy will be done, not mine". The characteristics of the man that is acceptable before god are also telling: "submissive, meek, humble, patient, willing to submit to all things which the Lord (the Lord's servants, the Church hierarchy) seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."

It's the conceptual foundation of an authoritharian cult that destroys individuality and autonomy and creates obedient ant or bee-like people who have no other existential purpose other than to serve the Lord (or the Lord's servants, the Church hierarchy). Actually, Brigham Young's idea of using the beehive symbol is very appropriate to mormonism.

Posted by: O'Brien ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 12:48PM

1st Nephi 1:1 - Moroni 10:34

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 01:00PM

I have to agree that’s probably the worst. For me, the key word in the passage was "inflict." Some helpful definitions of the word:

"To deal or mete out (something punishing or burdensome)"
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/inflict

"inflict: to force someone or something to experience something unpleasant"
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/american-english/inflict

"To inflict is defined as to cause or force upon. An example of inflict is someone causing another person to be in pain."
http://www.yourdictionary.com/inflict

So what this verse says is that you should bow your head, STFU, and take whatever pain or punishment the Lord wants to force on you, even if undeserved. It evokes the image of a cruel, sadistic a**hole who really enjoys dishing it out for no reason. For those whose fathers were actually like that, it cements the imagery into the mind, and the Lord (or God or whomever) becomes someone you want to avoid at all hazards. After all, he’s just like dear old Dad, except that Dad doesn’t expect you to express gratitude for the beating, or to be worshipped afterward. ("Thank you so much for the whipping, Dear Heavenly Father. I love you. You're so good to me.")

Another bad one is Alma 14:10-11.

10 And when Amulek saw the pains of the women and children who were consuming in the fire, he also was pained; and he said unto Alma: How can we witness this awful scene? Therefore let us stretch forth our hands, and exercise the power of God which is in us, and save them from the flames.

11 But Alma said unto him: The Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord receiveth them up unto himself, in glory; and he doth suffer that they may do this thing, or that the people may do this thing unto them, according to the hardness of their hearts, that the judgments which he shall exercise upon them in his wrath may be just; and the blood of the innocent shall stand as a witness against them, yea, and cry mightily against them at the last day.

Here were have "the Spirit" specifically preventing Alma from saving innocent women and children who were being burned alive, thus actively collaborating in the atrocity. It’s the same "Spirit" that instructed Nephi to decapitate a passed-out Laban in Jerusalem. Way to go, Mormon "Spirit." I could never wrap my brain around that.

Today, "the Spirit" isn’t nearly as forceful. When confronted with bare shoulders or Idahoan ankles in 2014, "the Spirit" runs away screaming like a little girl who’s just seen her first tarantula. Coward. "The Spirit" is a f***ing p***y.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 08:29PM

I keep thinking of him reading this passage to his 14 year old wife. "You must submit to whatever your Lord seeth fit to inflict upon you."

That's a terrible thought.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 08:40PM

"O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish."

If you learn, and think for yourself, you'll perish. I guess my "use by" date expired long ago.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 09:45PM

Moroni 10:4-5, the Book of Mormon Promise.

It just doesn't work for everyone. You can't pray about the book and be sure of knowing it's truth. And as been stated before, the methodology is wacky. It only allows for an answer of "true." If you pray and don't get an answer of "true," then it is your fault and you are supposed to try again.

Posted by: RobertHall ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 08:54AM

And it came to pass...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 08:54PM

Ha ha ha...

Posted by: brotherofjared ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 10:34PM

3500 times!

Posted by: elbert ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 10:45AM

It's the anachronisms galore: one that irks me the most is Mosiah's admonshment to "pick up your cross", or something like that. Everybody who's not busy chasing rabbits to survive has stopped and exclaimed, "whoa there, time. What cross, what are you taking about?" See, Christ himself didn't say it, he couldn't have said it, it HADN'T HAPPEND yet!

Posted by: peiriannydd ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 02:11PM

The Korihor story, Alma 30. Atheists aren't really atheists, they really know there is a god but want to lead others astray, so they deserve to be struck mute by god.

Posted by: Mark11 ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 06:22PM

And trampled to death by gawd's merciful people.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 04:51PM

4 Nephi 1:6
And thus did the thirty and eighth year pass away, and also the thirty and ninth, and forty and first, and the forty and second, yea, even until forty and nine years had passed away, and also the fifty and first, and the fifty and second; yea, and even until fifty and nine years had passed away.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 05:35PM

Good one. I'm sure all of this can be condensed to a single character in "reformed Egyptian".

Posted by: Chicken n. Backapcks ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 07:34PM

They wrote it way to save space on the plates, don'tcha know....

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 05:21PM

A truly inspirational passage. I'm glad it "came to pass" and didn't "come to stay."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 04:15PM

Is WCG back? It seems I owe you a walking stick. I have been remiss. A thousand apologies.

Date: December 02, 2021 04:16PM

Oh, I failed to check the date. A thousand apologies to everyone.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 05:36PM

I'm basing my judgment on the original 1830 edition Book of Mormon, which featured no verses--meaning that in its initial published format, it was a stem-to-stern mass of undivided text without verse numbers.

That means that "verse 1" (so to speak) was the first, one and only verse in the Book of Mormon.

Therefore, it is the one and only worse verse.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 05:44PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 11:27PM

I imagine all of them...having never read it.

Ron Burr

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 02:59AM

Coriantumr vs Shiz

I thought the car chase was gratuitous.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:59PM

The one that says there are miriad ways of sinning- thots words, deeds.

Ocd brain really had a hayday with that one! I felt guilty for every non-kosher thot i had. It was only years later that i discovered that everyone has awful thots. That they are just dismissed by most people as not important. But with OCD you sit and dwell on the thot- why you had it, what it means about you and what you could possibly do to get it out of your head.

2. the one by king ben who said that we are all beggers before god and don't deserve any good things anyway.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 07:25PM

"and in the future when all the liars come forth
and Google it all, just remember what the Profits
says, is TRUE. Dont be deceived by the CES Letter
or anything saith the Elders of Zion. Foremost,
continue to PAY your tithes and dont forget that
you are the wise one. As the church dissolves it
will be YOU who are saved and end up in Kolob with
a ton of chicks and living the good life!"

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:14AM

I don't know where it is in the BOM and am not going to look it up, but the worst verse to me personally is the one that got quoted to me by my youngest son at some point when he realized I didn't believe anymore. He looked at me and said "and they tooketh the truth to be hard". It felt like a slap in the face.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:20AM

For me, these were the worst and also the ones that woke me up and set me free.

The racism in the Book of Mormon is inescapable.

3 Nephi, Chapter 2, verse 15
And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites.

Jacob 3:8 O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God.

1Nephi 13:15 And I beheld the Spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the Gentiles, and they did prosper and obtain the land for their inheritance; and I beheld that they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people before they were slain.

2Nephi 5:21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

Alma 3:6 And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.

Jacob 3:9 Wherefore, a commandment I give unto you, which is the word of God, that ye revile no more against them because of the darkness of their skins; neither shall ye revile against them because of their filthiness; but ye shall remember your own filthiness, and remember that their filthiness came because of their fathers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 11:22AM by Dorothy.

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 02:03PM

2Nephi 5:21
> that they
> might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God
> did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

That is so racist and insulting. Anyone who says there isn't racism in the BofM isn't aware of this verse or has extreme cog-dis. I doubt Gladys Night was aware of this verse when she was baptized.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:35AM

The "natural man" verse is the one that I never ever could wrap my head around.

The natural man being the man who thinks for himself? Herself? Of course that thinking, rational person is an enemy to anyone who wishes to control them. Especially a person seeking to control, who says they speak for some God, and they have no proof of their connection to this supposed God except they themselves *say so.*

Sorry Mormons. You just couldn't turn "natural" into a dirty word for me.

Posted by: Craig C ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 12:16PM

1 Nephi 4:18

"Therefore I did obey the voice of the Spirit, and took Laban by the hair of his head, and I note off his head with his own sword."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 04:40AM

Chad Daybell's defense team?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 02:08PM

WTF moment:

Decided to read it before kids got on the school bus each morning;

as we're reading, from different editions, kids notice that certain passages are different from the child next to them...

Yup, it's the Most Correct book, because it was translated 'by the gift & power of God'

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 02:46AM

And after 3900 corrections, it’s even more most correct.

Date: March 18, 2018 12:54PM

All of them?

Posted by: perdition ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 04:35PM

Helaman 7

'19 ...And behold, instead of gathering you, except ye will repent, behold, he shall scatter you forth that ye shall become meat for dogs and wild beasts...'

Brother Joseph in fighting form and/or suffering a bad hangover there....

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: March 19, 2018 06:10PM

How about Jacob 7:27?

"Brethren, adieu."

Posted by: Havoc ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 02:09AM

Ok mine isn’t a worst verse it’s just something that caught my attention. It’s said time and time again that “I can’t write it all down because I don’t have the room”. Then the big reduction in (Words of Mormon 1:3-7).

So if I’m reading them correctly starting with 1 Nephi all the way through Omni abridgement after abridgement. Mormon (the guy not the group) finds the plates and writes down less than one percent of what was there. This is what we’re left with. One percent of a story that has already been reduced numerous times. So it came to pass, that I think a story that had been through that many filters; and leaving only the impartment parts. We should have one remarkable account of a nearly infallible book. A book that would be impossible to edit due to its perfection. And no you can’t blame it on Mormon (the guy) coping the words of imperfect men. He had a spell checker by way of the “Spirit of the Lord” whispering sweet somethings in his ear.

P.S. speaking of spell checker please excuse anything you find. I know there has to be something that I didn’t find and fix.

Date: December 02, 2021 12:19PM

So...begs the question?...are there good verses too?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 09:55PM

::snicker::

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 03:37PM

1 Nephi 3:7 and the spirit with which it is delivered.

"I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

It's right before Nephi is commanded to kill Laban in cold-blood. Because obviously, the Lord needed to test Nephi's commitment to obedience, while also using him as a tool to do this traumatic thing, which the Lord could have found a way to accomplish without needing his righteous, innocent servant to do it. In context, it is Abraham and Isaac; the Lord WILL ask you to kill people and you better do it to prove you are so committed to his will that there is no right or wrong, only what he tells you to do.

But in context or out of it, the assumption is that anything the Lord would ask you to do is never "too hard". You're just failing because YOU'RE weak or YOU'RE broken and evil. He's actually helping you, bringing you opportunities to do the things He wants you to do. If you feel alone, if you find the struggles unbearable, if you are scraping at the bottom of the barrel, the Lord is already doing everything to make this possible; you need to get off your butt to your part and shell out the 110% effort.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 04:44PM

The part where a supposed good guy sneaks into the tent of his sleeping enemy and stabs him in the heart with a javelin.

The other is where Ammon is guarding sheep and whacks off the arms of would be sheep rustlers.

The good guys turn out to be murderers and thieves!

If the Book of Mormon were to be made into a movie, it would deserve an R or X rating. Great book for children; not!

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 08:47PM

I never liked [that book of morons] those guys with their names in the front ("NEVER Trust Someone Else's TESTaMONKEY") AND they are at the crux of the whole hoax by Joseph's Myth that is the Mormon made up scriptures, including the Doctor of Covertness, the Purl of Grape Rice, the 'Babble', and the Knee Fight and Lame a Night book of morons.

Worst verse? Ummm those liars...
NATURAL MAN Is An Enemy To God? WHAT?

I KNEW that book/ verse was lying.
So, I went to the Lord...
Well, we met half way-

My God, why did you create me... and why are we enemies?

Oh. We're not. Cool. I didn't think so.

My name, Matthew, means Gift Of God, or gift.

The Book of Morons is fabricated-
I believe I KNEW that as a child.

The whole thing Repulsed Me.
Full of so much BS. Baloney Smith

Date: December 02, 2021 09:37PM

I don't know about the worst, but this is the dumbest:

1 And it came to pass that the angel spake unto me, saying: Look! And I looked and beheld many nations and kingdoms.

2 And the angel said unto me: What beholdest thou? And I said: I behold many nations and kingdoms.

Posted by: ufotofu~ ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 11:24PM

lol

Lots of Listlessness

So ridiculous-

Filler, in a word

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 02, 2021 11:42PM

And thus saith the Lord, there will come a time when I will come and visit the world to claim what is mine. My giant toilet needs many rolls of paper. And the people of the land will venture and look for rolls but will not find any. For behold, I will empty the storehouses and cause shelves to be bare. Yeah, the very last dollar general will not have any.

Thus, my worthy servants must run, not walk to the nearest Costco and obtain every last roll, lest they be without paper for all eternity.

Posted by: Nuggett ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 01:09PM

This Chapters 7-10 of 3rd Nephi where Godzilla Jesus tries on his dad's genocide gloves

https://freerepublic.com/focus/religion/2997170/posts

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 03, 2021 01:17PM

“I Nephi …” goes downhill from there.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 05:48PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “I Nephi …” goes downhill from there.

Downhill (come more, uh)?

Nah, it's FLAT!

It gets murkier from there.

Posted by: Joseph's Myth ( )
Date: December 04, 2021 06:21PM

Wha'd you do, go and blow your Quad?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.