Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:20PM

I remember when it was announced that the perpetual education fund sounded like a pretty good idea to me. It was only later that I learned about the restrictions on who would qualify for the help etc.

Does anybody know what the default rates are or if the program is still solvent?

Stunted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: it could happen ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 05:22PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 06:34PM

I've been curious about this too. Sounded like a great idea when first announced, and Mormons loooooove to pat themselves on the back for this kind of stuff.
But, I haven't heard anything about it.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 07:12PM

That way the program could continue to grow and bless more and more lives. I'm all for education and skill training etc. I still think the idea has merit as a way to solve some poverty issues.

It's odd how it seems to have just disappeared. I wonder if the repayment rate is so abysmal that they were basically giving money away so they stopped. I wouldn't be surprised if there was wide spread fraud at various local levels too.

Makes one wonder what the real story is. If it had worked there would be no shortage of faith promoting media updates on how the church was solving the worlds problems etc. I haven't seen a single one. I wonder why? HMMMM.....

Stunted.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 13, 2010 10:52PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 01:44PM

Nothing there but fluff.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 07:44PM

The website Angsty provided above makes the program *look* very successful.

However, since the church loves to boast about its successes, its rather extended silence on PEF suggests that the program is no exception to the church's burgeoning economic woes.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 14, 2010 08:34PM

The PEF is never put at risk, because the church doesn't loan out the principal directly. They only loan the interest that the fund earns.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 01:18AM

My daughter served a mission to Peru, and because of the restrictions on PEF, essentially no one in Peru can use it -- and they really need it. (The restriction being that PEF will only pay for tuition and tuition is essentially free in Peru, but it is the room, board, books, etc. that prevents people from going to college.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.