Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 05:58PM

I've often wondered why god would create the sun to harm us so quickly and easily yet our very lives depend on its energy and power.

Couldn't he have made it better where it gave us the energy to survive yet didn't harm us in the process?

Maybe he'll get better with time...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 06:00PM

Perhaps it's because you've been cursed with pale skin.

Maybe your ancestors sinned or something.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 06:05PM

But yes, I've had skin cancer and get yearly checkups.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 06:16PM

Your skin color is dependent on where your ancestors lived. It was optimized through adaptation for that particular climate.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 11:33AM

I've wondered about this. It seems humans aren't designed to migrate quickly the way we have in recent times. Should "white and delightsome" people be living in tropical climates? I have a good friend that died from melanoma last year. Maybe it wouldn't have happened if he was a "lamanite". I have bad skin...maybe I'll be blessed with dark and loathsome skin if I start sinning harder.

Posted by: cthlos ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:24PM

During the Korean War, it was found that white soldiers faired better against frostbite than black soldiers. Apparently dark skin provides protection against the sun and lighter skin is better adapted to colder climates because it tolerates lower temperatures. Beyond those adaptations, skin color signifies little else from a biological standpoint. Culturally, it show how we make divisions between people based on arbitrary traits.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 06:18PM

A mutation giving white skin occurred thousands of years ago. It was advantageous during a cool, cloudy climate that existed then. People who did not get much vitamin D from their diet and had to cover their bodies against the cold were then able to more efficiently synthesize the vitamin.

The climate has changed. It's no curse that I'm pasty white and blonde, but evolution always lags what is needed. I have had skin cancer too. Black people sometimes have a similarly caused condition, not with skin, but with blood. Sickle cell disease provides protection against malaria, but is also a double-edged sword.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 06:20PM

If you think its bad here, imagine how those people who Brigham Young said lived on the sun are coping. You'd definitely want to have stock in a dermatology company I think.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 06:25PM

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 07:04PM

Lol

Posted by: ex_sushi_chef ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 10:51PM

seems hemp oil is the one to go for to cure cancer including skin cancer....

http://www.skincancer-survivor.com/alternative-skin-cancer-treatment.html

the latest news from finland tells they have now the first northern europe hemp institute, and a female researcher there speaks out hemp oil is the most effective one on the earth to cure cancers....hemp oil(cannabis sativa) plus olive oil....

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 11:01PM

Water,air and fire. They will all kill you very quickly if you don't know how to treat them.

Breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer. Gods reward for being female and having children. There are other illnesses that could be added to the list for both male and female.

Life isn't fair, it just IS.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:48AM

Perfectly stated.

Ron Burr

Date: September 24, 2014 09:50AM

I've had 2 skin cancers removed (basal cell carcinoma's) and I spent a lifetime in the sun farming so there may be more, but I made my living from the sun and water.

Ron Burr

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 09:50PM

Canadians got sun?

Date: September 24, 2014 10:49PM

Contrary to popular belief, yes. Today was in the 80'sF with a hot sun and wind....which we really need right now to get the harvest finished.

RB

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 04:50AM

There's way more skin cancer deaths today than there were in pre-industrial times. This seems to be because of the vast amounts of pollutants we live in, and which course through our bloodstreams.

Healthy people tend to handle the sun well. So maybe skin cancer isn't god's fault, or nature's fault. Maybe it's mostly our fault for fouling our own nest.

Posted by: Lawyer ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:14AM

The mean life expectancy in pre-industrial times was 30-35 years. As with all cancers, skin cancer risk rises fast the longer a person lives. It's natural that when mean longevity rises towards 80, a society would see an explosion in cancers.

In evolutionary terms, nature doesn't care what happens to us after about age 30.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 07:01PM

My high school biology teacher called cancer "the last disease you will ever get." As a species, we have become very long-lived.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 06:03AM

OK I gotta weigh in as a sun worshipper.

I should be the poster boy for melanoma.

However, I'd rather be the poster boy for vitamin D.....

which as it turns out is more than just a vitamin.

Must be why I'm not dead from skin cancer.

That and blueberries as a natural sunblock.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 10:02AM

Vitamin D is a hormone. I do eat lots of blueberries but I also use copious amounts of a zinc based sunscreen.

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 05:48PM

And without the sun, what?

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 06:08PM

How much of an effect does ozone layer depletion have? Or is that one of those things where "experts" are at polar opposites?

Posted by: Meri ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 10:44PM

it is a major factor. let me say first this is what I was told in my Enviro Science prof and I did not look this up for myself .... The hole in the ozone layer is over Australia and people who live there (where the hole is) have a much higher incidence of skin cancer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 10:44PM by anymoo.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 07:03PM

Behind every silver lining there is a cloud.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 11:33PM

And every silver lining's got a touch of grey.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.