Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:57PM

Well this is just fine. I'm sitting here in the dark after the rain and the wind knocked out our power. Now my cat has brought a mouse downstairs.

The poor thing is running all over the place and I can't see enough of anything to help it. I usually try to rescue them from her. We can't figure out where they're getting in.

So I'm sitting here on the edge of my bed with my feet up, because I can't see where those two are running around.

Isn't this just peachy?

I've been exhausted the past few days because my Mom went into affib and had to spend a few days in the hospital. Once we finally got her home, I've been running around trying to do all the chores. I'm not used to being on my feet so much, or up and down the stairs. My plantar fasciitis is screaming at me. Ow, my heel.

My blankets were in the dryer when the power went out and weren't quite dry yet.

What a weekend. I'm exhausted. At least I can get on-line with my phone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 17, 2013 10:59PM

Tomorrow will be better, Greyfort. It has to be!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 12:52AM

I wear it watching TV and to bed. Some are a LOT more expensive.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-ace-plantar-fasciitis-foot-sleep-support-blue/ID=prod6038233-product

As to the mouse, check where your pipes come in for the oven and other appliances. Go around them with duct tape and if you see any signs of nibbling fill it in with steel wool.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 01:03AM

Ewww..creepy. So sorry! Tomorrow will be better.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 03:03AM

What a good kitty to bring the bitty
little mousey!

You are lucky to have her.

As to the mice, they like to move indoors for the winter.

They only need a hole slightly smaller than you could jam a quarter into.

So steel wool all around the pipes as they come into the house. Under the sink, the bathroom etc.

Another thing you can do

Sift some flour over the floor where you think they might be getting in. They will leave their little paw print trails all over it and lead you to their escape/access hatch.
The flour is relatively clean, cheap, and easy to vacuum up.

Oh, and keep the cat locked up so she doesn't mess up the flour trail!

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 04:20AM

"We can't figure out where they're getting in." Sorry Greyfort but they are probably getting in inside of the cat's mouth. That is the case at our house. Natural instinct and all. We had to keep our cat door closed now and they have to meow to be let in. If there is a mouse in their mouth, we don't let them in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 04:21AM by enoughenoch19.

Date: November 18, 2013 06:46AM

She's an indoor cat, so she's definitely finding them all under the kitchen sink. My Dad plugged up some holes under there, but I guess he didn't find the one they're coming in from.

This is like Mouse # 6 or 7 over several months.

I like the flour idea. We should try that.

Thanks, Susan. That really works? I keep reading conflicting reviews on those night braces.

I'm up too early, but the lights came back on and now I can't get back to sleep. At least I went to bed earlier because of the outage.

What a weekend. I hope things settle back to normal for a while now.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 08:12AM

Greyfort, when I took my consumption of grains and sugars way down, my plantar fasciitis improved quite a lot.

Now that I eat pretty much only fresh (one ingredient) foods, I am having no issues with it at all.

Date: November 18, 2013 08:17AM

Oh, that's interesting. I've been thinking about cutting down on the bread and the milk. I'm supposed to have a banana per day, or a glass of orange juice for the potassium, as per my blood pressure meds. So I make a banana-berry smoothie for breakfast.

But I've been trying to completely cut out the junk food and I now only buy bread from the local bakery and eat it sparingly, a couple times per week.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 08:42AM

My vet once told me that the most perfectly nutritionally balanced meal for a cat is a small rodent.

I say let kitty earn his keep and maybe don't feed him as much later.

Posted by: puff the magic draggon ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 08:50AM

I have had Plantar Faciitis two times. It is so painful. I wore the socks that pull your muscle out and it helped. It took a couple of weeks.

Date: November 18, 2013 08:56AM

The mouse got into the closet. I don't know if it's still alive and if so, where it has gone from there. Cat's sleeping now.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 09:11AM

and it has never come back. I got heel supports for my shoes and took Aleve or naproxen sodium for 6 weeks around the clock. You have to take it steadily so you don't have a lapse in the anti-inflammatory. I think the Aleve was the biggest factor as I am barefoot most of the time--as I work at home. I hate having shoes on.

Sorry about the mice. I get a lot of them this time of year, too. I don't have a cat right now. I read something the other day about 3 items you make into a spray, but now I can only remember horse radish, cayenne pepper--but I can't remember the last thing. I just bought mouse traps yet again. I haven't seen any, but I'm planning ahead.

And we've had several LONG power outages recently--I hate them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 09:12AM by cl2.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 11:18AM

The mice may not be "getting in." They likely live there now, and have little nests behind the drywall. It's exceedingly common. As for getting rid of the little bastard himself, use a vacuum, then dump the thing in the rubbish bin. That way you won't have to touch him and you can suck him up from a bit of a distance.

Call an exterminator. You got mice.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 18, 2013 02:22PM

Or. Just get another cat. Same thing. ;>)

Date: November 18, 2013 02:29PM

I've had 3 different live traps and they've been completely useless. I don't mind picking up the mice, but I didn't want one running over my bare feet in the dark.

I think you're right. I think they must be living in the walls.

The best thing I've tried for my heel pain is just to make sure that I wear thick hiking socks when I walk the dog.

But over the weekend I was walking much more than usual and going upstairs a lot. My legs just aren't used to that and they sure let me know about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.