Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 04:20PM

I ran across this in BYUI's student newspaper and thought it was worth sharing. I don't even know what to say about his train of thought and how he justifies that to himself.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae290/rainwriter/ScannedDocument_zps8ae78026.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: almostthere ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:16PM

Ugh. I just can't live with that worldview anymore.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:06PM

This world view produces people willing to shoot others in the back at the drop of a hat.

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:29AM

Oh, you are so right. So right.

"The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules.
It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages."

- Banksy

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:19PM

"Shooting in the wrong direction, or at the wrong time or without proper authority" ... ... ...

He's talking about whacking it, right? The point is "get a haircut and stop playing with yourself?"

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:17AM

I had the same thought! Except, being a woman, I was thinking more about premature ejaculation or jizz in my hair.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:24PM

It's amazing that scott howard is advocating the characteristics of a cult (i.e., organization with significant behavior controls). The military is one of those types of organizations that mimic the behavioral controls prevelant in cults.

Why is it that mormons value obedience more than any other virtue?

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:26PM

Obedience can be good, for dogs and soldiers. the trouble is, I'm not a dog, not in the army and get to choose who I will obey based on rational reasons. Some time ago I realized that it's not rational to obey some old farts in SLC who claim to be spokesmen for a magic invisible man in the sky.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:35PM

I don't understand why being obedient to inconsequential things automatically means you can be trusted with "important" things.

Shouldn't it be the other way around? Meaning, being able to compute and decide about inconsequential things means you can then handle larger and more important topics.

If your hand was held your whole life how are you supposed to decide things on your own later on?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:37PM

If people think god told them to help someone in need, we think that's great. If the same people think god told them to kill someone we call that murder and think they're crazy.

It really comes down to laws and morals of the times. Not what "god" thinks, but what people and society think. The terms god and satan are terms used to not take personal responsibility for our actions. Let's not forget, Nazis running the concentration camps where just being obedient too.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 05:46PM

Scott needs to see someone about that stick up his a$$

Posted by: ldsidiot ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 06:47AM

I think its actually an iron rod up his a$$, not a stick.

Seriously though, what a wennie, is BYUI always like this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2013 08:24AM by ldsidiot.

Posted by: wonder dog ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:03PM

Insane. Just insane.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 06:11PM

What does one learn about International Relations in Rexburg? Do they make trips to the Alberta embassy?

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: November 14, 2013 07:42PM

I remember reading in some history of World War II about the different leadership styles of the US Army and German landforces in Europe. To be honest, American troops were often f__kups, the Germans were much better soldiers; the US eventually won battles by overwhelming the Germans with industrial output of artillery and bombs, not by cunning military tactics. But one author pointed out that where US troops shown through was when situations turned FUBAR and links to commanders were all cut off, or total chaos of the battle meant that individual units or soldiers had to make decisions. US GIs and especially junior officers did very well at this because they were taught to think independently and often had the attitude that their superiors were incompetent. German soldiers who had unwavering discipline and obedience drilled into them were not comfortable with taking issues into their own hands that might disobey an order or be viewed as thinking for themselves. Sometimes in battles like the invasion of Normandy or The Bulge, that made the difference. Having to show god that you will dress a particular way or make ritualistic shows of obedience really seems to negate the New Testament, where Jesus does away with obedience and institutes a higher law of loving one's neighbor and doing good. Not really characteristics of soldiers at all.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 04:08AM

How utterly exhausting to "be at way" 24/7.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 07:25AM

How would you like to grow up as one of that guy's kids?

Date: November 15, 2013 04:17PM

I'd imagine that a good number of people here did grow up with parents like that.

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:40AM

when in YM my son's hair was a source of comment. It was not long long, but is very thick. He refused to conform to the short back and sides. ( I must admit his mother did not push him to - little rebellion never hurt)
Sometimes I think they did not look beyond the hair to the person he was ( is really although a 'poor' student he told be he bought an umbrella for a homeless person the other day as it was raining - sorry digress to a mummy boast)
And then we have those lovely smart bishops, short hair, wonder suit and a record of child abuse - just saying

Posted by: zenjamin ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 08:44AM

It' s just a business, and robots have no souls...so they just need to look like robots.

It's fine to abuse children. Just don't embarrass the business with adverse publicity.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 04:26PM

Claiming obedience to shift the responsibility for your own thoughts, actions, and behaviors onto someone else is disgusting. Take responsibility for your own damn self. There's no difference between "I did it because God commanded me to" and "the devil made me do it".

Posted by: CRUD ( )
Date: November 15, 2013 05:35PM

This is why the term MORG was made from the word BORG in Star Trek -- i.e. the Mormon Borg.

The BORG (singular) had only a group mind and a single shared experience. There were no individuals despite their numbers. Like insects, they only obeyed instincts. They also lived in a Hive.

The comparison to Mormonism is striking. Good Mormons are insects. They live in a (Bee) Hive State. The ruler makes all the rules, and obedience is the first law of Heaven.

To Mormons the highest form of human development is to become insect-like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)

Date: November 15, 2013 06:57PM

I always thought it was morg as in morgue, as in dead people. I like this idea better. The borg are freaky even if Janeway has a "rescuing people from the collective" thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.