Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:06PM

Learning to become a Pink Floyd fan. My music tastes tend to be a little esoteric...I'm flying like an eagle over the Alps with Anton Bruckner right now...Boner

So, all you eavesdropping posters, what music raises your shafts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:11PM

My brother bought that album in 1973. I was 9. He played it constantly. I think it's his favorite album ever. It's such an integral part of my childhood.

I was never that much of a Pink Floyd fan. But it's just such a part of the background of my life.

Date: September 22, 2014 11:18PM

When the chanteruse starts up in the Dark Side of the Moon, I take BIG notice. Some parts of The Wall I like, not too big on the special effects like the helicopter.

Want some special musical effects? Check out Sir Georg Solti's Wagner a Ring cycle, recorded 1959-1965. A thunder machine made of a long strip of rolled sheet metal played like a tympani. Blocks of solid tin representing stacked gold. Thunder. Tuned anvils! Six harps. Cows horns. Valhalla crashing into the Rhine! And best of all, the ?Vienna Philharmonic playing its heart out! Now, that's music! The Wagnerian Boner.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 02:57AM

> When the chanteruse starts up in the Dark Side of
> the Moon, I take BIG notice. Some parts of The
> Wall I like, not too big on the special effects
> like the helicopter.

"YOU! ... YES, YOU! ... Stand Still Laddie!"

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:32PM

My father referred to it as gluttony of the ear. Listen to something to much and even the greatest piece becomes dull.

Handel was a master but only inspiring the first three times, by the fourth time you just can't get it out of your head that you've heard the same thing before.

Date: September 22, 2014 11:34PM

As Stravinsky noted--he had nothing against Vivaldi other than he wrote the same concerto a thousand times. Boner.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:18PM

Queen

Andrea Bocelli

And yes a little "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:25PM

Yes to Bruckner!

Sibelius, especially his 1st and 5th, always get at something deep within me. I listen to these once a year, mostly in a bath while looking out at winter snow.

Date: September 22, 2014 11:36PM

Sibelius...I'm liking this! The Four Lammenkenin (sp?) Legends! The Nordic Boner.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 12:42AM

Nothing like being last chair viola in front of the low brass in sibelius' 2nd!

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 12:44AM

And Harry Nilsson. The Beatles' favorite musician.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:27PM

For me, The Doors were the background of my life. My older brother listened to The Doors endlessly. I got ready for school to "Riders on the Storm."

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 12:29AM

I will always love fleetwood mac

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 12:43AM

Classical, Bluegrass, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doobie Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughn, blues, blues, blues and more blues.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 12:52AM

Hail Sydney!

. . . . the Sydney Rigdon of rock n roll.

Except that I immediately felt that floyd was somehow another level above r'n'r back when they first hit my ears in 69.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 01:10AM

And then it evolved and became this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxo0OJkbaMY

Yeah, I know you hate those utube ads as much as I do but I guess we still gotta be paying our tithing to da man.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 11:26PM

Oh, what joy! I have eclectic musical tastes and all mentioned in these posts are pieces I have heard or would like to hear. My favorite composer of opera is Wagner and I'll check out the Solti recordings. I really do like Pink Floyd. Bought Umma Gumma in 1969 and that started it for me.

Date: September 23, 2014 11:37PM

Got umma gummy on my iPad. Recommended by a friend! Boner.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 12:56AM

I o was raised on pink Floyd, led zeppelin, Big band, neil diamond, moody blues.

I love Pink Floyd My big stoned sister would play it and I would sit in my moms recliner rocking with my head back. Obviously this was wnen mom and dad were on a drive in a storm. We all fought over the stereo.

The best is when my dad, string bass professional, would play along with our "crap". He could always find the bass.

I loved Depeche then too.

Howard Jones is probably one of my all -time favs.

I grew up with classical, going to the symphony, etc. But while I enjoyed some of it, I didn't get into it like others in my musical family.

Also loved listening to spike jones....

Yes, I amnot so cultured, but I do like a variance. If I were to ever go to a symphony again, i'm sure it would make me cry. music is beautiful and has power especially when it is live. I wish my pop were still around. I went to sleep every night with him thumping on the base right below me.

Good times.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.