Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:59PM

The bias on RfM might be that Mormonism is the source of more chaos than a cure for chaos and yet so many conversion stories are that a life was in crisis and Mormonism offers structure and discipline.

We also hear so often that Mormons share a testimony that they would be in crisis or chaos without the (false) assurances and promises of Mormonism.

We read here so often chaos and crisis of those who feel the fraud and know it is there without needing to see it or even worse those who have seen the fraud, even just a glimpse and can't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

What are your thoughts on Mormonism and chaos?

Cure or cause.

Certainly the Europeans who needed an escape from industrializing Europe in the 1840's through 1860's and a shot at owning land and a life other than their fate, found Mormonism as a boat ride over away from chaos, or was it to chaos?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 03:39AM by gentlestrength.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 03:04AM

I know of an alcoholic lady who converted to mormonism and was able to stop drinking cold turkey. The benefit for her and her young DAUGHTER was huge.

Date: September 24, 2014 03:47AM

I am confident most all of us can think of examples of people that have used Mormonism and that community to advance to a better quality of life, especially in the short term.

The structure of Mormonism can bring order to a chaotic life. At the same time we see Mormons struggling with the realities of Mormonism feeling chaos enter their orderly life because of these realities.

It is almost as if accepting chaos is part of the process of accepting that mormonism is not what it claims to be and that a genuine life has more chaos than we were raised to accept as part of a healthy, well-functioning life.

I recall a conversation with a former Mormon and his gay parter, an Episcopalian minister and we came to the understanding that the concept of constant progression was both of our experiences with Mormonism. That ups were associated with living well and that downs were associated with living poorly. I can think of Mormon stories that do not support this premise, but mostly it is an idea that "wickedness" as defined by Mormonism never was happiness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2014 03:48AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 07:58AM

I'm sure Mormonism does help people regain order in their lives as any supportive community can do. The error is in thinking that Mormonism is the only supportive community.

I do think that many people who have left the church still search for SOME kind of community to be a part of - this board helps a little in that direction.

I know at times I have looked about for something to be part of, but I'm just very cautious and I don't think it can be a church.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:28AM

The selling points of Mormonism are the opposite of chaos.

It could arguably be the most planned life of all. Even to the point of expected dates for such life events such as graduations, marriage, and having children…as as dictated by the culture.

In the early days, based on how LDS Inc was, and is, operated, I think many people were opportunists. They would agree, and even go to great lengths to cheerlead, LDS Inc, because it was an opportunity for them to go west and have good business opportunities.

Yes BY was a tyrant, but people can work with that if they stayed on his good side. Fortunes were, and continue to be made for many families.

The problem for many Mormons is that chaos is perceived as a bad thing.

The reality is that order and obedience may be far worse.

Posted by: Ausguy ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 08:37AM

I used meth and was unable to stop, prayed, had the elders at the door within 30mins, didn't go to church for a maybe 2 months, used again many times, was fed up with my life, took myself to church, felt the spirit, joined 2 weeks later, stopped using over night, did a mission, read myself out of the church, did meth a few times once I was out, I would never change joining the church, every good thing in my life is a direct effect from been a member,

I guess that's why I was and still am so shocked that it's all made up.

I would love to go back, but once you know Santa is fake, Xmas is still fun, but never the same.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 10:42AM

Order is the core of post-correlation mormonism. Order, obedience, neatness, homogeneity. Humanity craves those values when it feel lost. That's the reason an enlightned and developed nations like germany and Italy embraced fascism so easily. They felt purposeless and lost in chaos. Hitler brough order and promissed hope for the future, Mussolini made "the trains arrive on time" in Italy.

People who lack structure and purpose in their lives are easy prey to highly structured groups with a central authority and homogeneous culture. It fills the empty inside their souls, but the filler grows eventually untill all individuality and autonomous decision power is sufocated. People became like ants or bees, with no individual value or purpose other than to serve the collectivity.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 08:50PM

Deep thinking and Mormonism don't go well together - it is like wearing paisleys and stripes together. Can you imagine in the early days of the church, what Joe or Briggy or any of the rest would have done or said to many of the folks just like us who are DTs? Hell!

They - TSCC/ Mormons (who many times are confused about the churches actual history) - want it to [believe it to] be true, clean & placid.

In actuality, it is so perverted (from the teachings and practices of Jesus Christ or anything God/ good) that it is not nearly true, sane, possible or even manageable for most people simply trying to live a good, happy, or righteous life.

Date: September 26, 2014 02:17AM

I have noticed in Comments sections. Especially the Hans Mattsson NY Times Comments section that Mormins are so bold and confident in their declarations.

It created a thread in that section where I was pointing out that it was impossible for amormons to know their Church was True when they disn't know their Church.

These online witnesses create for amazing theater and histrionics.

There are Mormins who genuinely think eceryone should just take their word for it and believe in Mormonism.

I think these are an example of the folks that need the bold and intrusive requirements of Mormonism in order to avoid the chaos of dealing with reality.

The words, I don't know, or. I'm not aure, or perhaps we'll never no are unacceptable to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 02:18AM by gentlestrength.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.