Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:41PM

I went to my mothers home for lunch yesterday and she fed the missionaries usually there are 6 but only 4 showed up so I asked why there other 2 were not there. They replied that they were participating in a 40 day fast. Being the smart *ss that I am I reminded the other missionaries that they were not Jesus Christ, I guess there is a problem with missionary work because that is what the fast was for. I guess sending all of the 18yr. old kids that don't know jack is backfiring on them. huh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:56PM

Isn't that much a of a fast bad for health reasons!!??

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:15PM

This boys are definitely risking their health. Fasting that long time without any medical supervision is not only risky but also way stupid. These boys are working 14hrs a day mentally and physically, they have to excercise each day - how can a MP even give his okay for something like that? It makes me sick and very angry thinking about it.
Really. These poor kids are playing with their lives, also starving people may hallucinating and really get mad. This is far beyond every reason. And for what? Nothing at all.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:20PM

this will show how inspired TSCC is.

Date: September 22, 2014 06:25PM

Yeah and then during their so inspired action they might find one or two riff-raff people, attention Hoes or other odd beings that show up randomly who are willing to listen to them and maybe even get dunked - and this will be the confirmation of Gawd that they're doing right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 06:26PM by newnameabigail.

Posted by: wannabfree ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:27PM

hold your horses. This concept works as follows: For 40 days across a mission/stake/ward/etc, SOMEBODY is fasting on each day. It is a collective effort, not an individual effort.

Posted by: ex_sushi_chef ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 05:33PM

our ward did last month or so, many participated, the result was three baptism so far, two are gaijin guys; china, india, the other; his wife san is white-member from english speaking country. and probably one korean lady might be close....

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:55PM

IIRC there's a rule against missionaries fasting for more than two meals.

Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:29PM

Yes, here it is on page 18 of the current Missionary Handbook:

FASTING
The monthly fast is adequate for most purposes. You may occasionally fast for a special reason, but do not fast for more than 24 hours at a time. Do not ask people at home to join you in special fasts. (See “Tithing and Fast Offerings,” p. 45, for information on contributing a fast offering.)

Date: September 23, 2014 12:10PM

Ya that's what their Handbook states but I know - and also from my own mission - that they were encouraged to fast for our investigators beyond that and I know several mishs only existing by 50g of rice/day and sleeping on the hard floor over weeks for their investigators and for finding more ppl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 12:10PM by newnameabigail.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 12:49PM

I've done the 3 day fast to prepare for a butt scope....that was enough, and much more important than anything a mishie ever did.

Ron Burr

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 12:51PM

Don't remind me, I have to schedule one after I turn 60 next month.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.