Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:12PM

smack on the wrist - Hitting.... Is that acceptable? Hmmm. Probably

spank on the btm - Hitting...... Is that acceptable? Meh.... maybe

Using a baseball bat on the cranium - Hitting..... Is that acceptable.... nah, probably not

all this article tells me is that you can easily troll people by using malleable language

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:30PM

Legal, perhaps.

Smart, reasonable -- nope.

In my experience, what hitting kids teaches them is that it's OK to hit. Nothing else.

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:58PM

THIS ^^^^

It teaches them that the way to deal with a problem is to hit.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:46PM

Considering Hennepin County (MN) just granted an order of protection for Adrian Peterson's kid, there is a logical limit to what is legal. Beating a 4 year old with a switch exceeded that limit.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:15PM

The standard for an order of protection is less than for a conviction. Personally, I think an order of protection in this case is entirely gratuitous and unnecessary.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:16PM

You're confusing two different incidents.

The switching was in Texas, the MN abuse was not a switch.

Switches are legal in Texas as long as you do not cause welts or bleeding, which Adrian did.

Date: September 22, 2014 04:31PM

No the MN protection order is for the kid hit in Texas, he lives in MN. Trust me that has been all that has been on the news here. It is the same child. Charges in Texas, order of protection in MN. It was a MN doctor how reported it when the kid came home from Texas.

http://www.startribune.com/local/275810231.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 04:36PM by shortbobgirl.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:46PM

Thanks for the correction.

But it remains legal to switch your kids in Texas, as long as you don't leave marks. The MN protection order is because he DID commit a Texas crime by leaving marks.

“State law requires us to file an action in child protection court when charges are filed in criminal court alleging serious injuries against a child living in Hennepin County,” Freeman said.

The protection order was because of the criminal charges, which would not have been filed without the marks of the abuse, because it's legal to switch kids in Texas.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:14PM

The standard is, by definition, local. The method normally used is bargain, without a plea, of first taking parenting classes to instill the community standard. To first charge someone with a felony is also sometimes done but with a program used without a plea. The injuries in the Peterson case are borderline but, in my opinion, should result in a program without any conviction. There were no injuries causing scaring nor deep. They are beyond anything I would approve of, but are not of the level the legislature meant to inflict the harsh remedies of imprisonment for first offenders.

Date: September 22, 2014 04:17PM

The order limits him to supervised visitation with this particular child. It does not cover his other 5 kids.

I am sure Texas is using him to make a point. Low profile people do not make points when you charge them.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:24PM

My 18yo nephew could prolly kick my butt from here to Kolob.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.