Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 02:42PM

"....apparently the church-owned Deseret Book does not want you to assume that. On the copyright page of A Prophet’s Voice is a standard disclaimer that reads, “The views expressed herein are the responsibility of the author and do not necessarily represent the position of the Church or Deseret Book.”....."

http://blog.mrm.org/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 03:47PM

I guess they've learned from having to back-track, and dishonestly declare hundreds (thousands?) of doctrinal teachings of former "prophets, seers, and revelators" wrong, and "just their own opinion."

This way, 30 years from now, when the new "prophet, seer, and revelator" decides Tommy's ideas are heretical, the disclaimer is already in place. "See, we told you back then he wasn't speaking for the church. It was just his own opinion."

Do they really not get that they're effectively showing their own claim to have a "prophet, seer, and revelator" in charge of the church false? Really?

Posted by: lenina ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:10PM

Building on that, I recall a red flag about 15 years ago when a new lesson manual came out, in the front of the manual was an invitation to all readers to provide feedback and suggestions regarding the manual. Hmm? Wasn't this manual supposed to be inspired of God?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:36PM

Plausible deniability.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:34PM

Oh you vain and disbelieving generation that boweth not down to prophet Monson's words. Know ye not that he speaks from his position as demigod of this planet?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:06PM

I honestly didn't know that Monson had views. Kimball's was Day of the Lamanite, blacks and the priesthood; Benson's was moral fabric of society being rent; Hinckey's temple building and "I don't know if we teach that" to fucked up doctrines. But Monson?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:37PM

That was my first thought. Monson has views????
Does anyone have a clue what his view on anything might be???

The only thing I know for sure that he has an opinion about is the temperature of the milk he drinks. I don't think his dentures allow for much meat, therefore, no view on that topic.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 09:26PM

Oh great! So I DIDNT have to feel guilty for ignoring the widows after all!

I just can't get it right, can I?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:25PM

'not exactly' a transparent conduit for god's will, 'eh?

A while back, the Ensign had a feature called "Answers to Gospel Questions" which had a similar disclaimer.

Huh?

Profiles of A Prophet: (note the several disconnects!)

A. He will boldly claim that God [has] spoken to him.

B. Any man so claiming would be a dignified man with a dignified message; no table-jumping, no whisperings from the dead, no clairvoyance, but an intelligent statement of truth.

C. Any man claiming to be a prophet of God would declare his message without any fear and without making any weak concessions to public opinion.

D. If he were speaking for God, he could not make concessions although what he taught would be new and contrary to the accepted teachings of the day. A prophet bears witness to what he has seen and heard and seldom tries to make a case by argument. His message and not himself is important.

E. Such a man would speak in the name of the Lord, saying, “Thus saith the Lord,” as did Moses, Joshua, and others.

F. Such a man would predict future events in the name of the Lord, and they would come to pass, as did Isaiah and Ezekiel.

G. He would have not only an important message for his time but often a message for all future time, such as Daniel, Jeremiah, and others had.

H. He would have courage and faith enough to endure persecution and to give his life, if need be, for the cause he espoused, such as Peter, Paul, and others did.

I. Such a man would denounce wickedness fearlessly. He would generally be rejected or persecuted by the people of his time, but later generations, the descendants of his persecutors, would build monuments in his honor.

J. He would be able to do superhuman things, things that no man could do without God’s help. The consequence or result of his message and work would be convincing evidence of his prophetic calling. “By their fruits ye shall know them” [Matt. 7:20].

K. His teachings would be in strict conformity with scripture, and his words and his writings would become scripture. “For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost” (2 Pet. 1:21).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 10:56PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.