Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:55AM

Okay, recently I went down to Salt Lake City for a convention with my wife to one of the largest of it's kind in the states history. Yes it's an mlm, but it's been good to us...

So anyways after 3 days of meetings we are going to take one of our uplines and my wife's friend back home to where we live a few states away. She has gotten a ride down previously because she was working as staff at said convention.

So my wife and I pack all our stuff and say goodbye to my mom where we were staying at. We were also picking up one other friend in Kaysville who had come down previously which had nothing to do with the convention.

In other words we were being nice.

My wife had warned me that the upline didn't know how to pack light. So we pull up to the hotel to get her and she has one of those ENTIRE metal carts...the tall ones..FULL and then SOME. She had so much stuff..like 3 times what my wife and I had together. I was like...you HAVE got to be kidding me!

So I am a little miffed and go for a little walk while she and my wife try to cram all her junk into the MINI-van with our stuff.

I get back and pretty much every space is taken. Now remember we still have to get one other person into this thing

So we drive north and manage to get it in. Can't see out, only through my mirrors.

So this lady is like

"How late can you stay awake without getting tired. I need to get home."

"I will probably make it until 11 or 12 tonight."

"Not good enough. I will drive, I was a professional drives and can...yada yada yada."

"Well then by all means, be my guest."

So we were supposed to be heading up to go to the Ogden Temple dedication originally, and I was kind of disappointed it wouldn't be in the ACTUAL temple, but at a stake center in Ogden. So we came up with some lame excuse to a friend up there about an emergency so we could just drive through to save some time....

However, this lady HADN'T HAD THE SACRAMENT FOR 2 WEEKS.

"Well, there is NO PLACE in SLC OR OGDEN that is having sacrament today. It's the temple dedication."

"Well, maybe we can make it up to twin falls by 1."

So she is scrambling to get up to Twin Falls so we can reach a building that might possibly have a meeting at 1 so we can get the sacrament. HOWEVER, she underestimates how exactly FAR Twin Falls is, and we won't be arriving around the area until 130 to 145 when sacrament will be done.

"Well there has to be a ward that meets at 2."

I actually manage to find a building and a ward that will meet at that time to take the sacrament, but...

IT'S TOO FAR OFF THE FREEWAY for her and will add on an additional 20 minutes to the trip.

By this time I have had it.

I let her have it!

"LOOK. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL OVER WHERE THE STINKING CHURCH BUILDING IS AT. I CAN'T CONTROL WHETHER OR NOT IT IS CONVENIENT OFF THE FREEWAY EXIT!!! IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE PLACEMENT OF THE CHURCH BUILDINGS ALONG THE DRIVE FROM UTAH TO BOISE THEN YOU CAN TAKE IT UP WITH THOMAS S MONSON!!! I GAVE YOU A VIABLE OPTION THAT WOULD WORK, YOU DIDN'T WANT IT, SO STOP COMPLAINING!!!"

To bad she was the one driving at the time, because I might have pulled over and started throwing her stuff out on the side of the road.

I told my wife we would NEVER EVER drive to or from any event with her that far again.

Then later this lady starts psychoanalyzing the other passenger we picked up and giving her opinion about what she should do with all of those.

Of course the other passenger wasn't doing anything correctly either...

And she wonders why after working in this particular mlm for a few years she is where she is at? She's abrasive and scares people off as much as she recruits them. People who started the same time as her, and have had the same training and put in the same effort are making 10 times or more than her doing it. She's knowledgeable about the company and products, but to be quite honest she sends people running the other way. My wife and I started 2 years after her and at the rate we are going we are now making almost as much as she is and actually bypassing her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 11:59AM by ultra.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:01PM

a road trip from hell. Looks like you made it home!!! I'm glad you let her have it.

I never liked this type of mormon when I was mormon. Hasn't had the sacrament for 2 weeks, so let's make everyone else suffer. What, is she going to be tempted too much if she doesn't get the sacrament?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 12:04PM by cl2.

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:10PM

Too bad you didn't show up in a mini coop or smart car. I have a sister that doesn't pack light and I had to tell her to drive her own car somewhere since there was no way to fit her stuff on top of our stuff and still have room for more than just the driver. Live and learn, I guess. Your guest sounds like a piece of work.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:11PM

The bitch and all her $hit would have been dropped at the first wide spot on the road had she been in my vehicle...OMG!

Ron Burr

Posted by: Adult of god nli ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 12:29PM

Ultra, you could have administered the sacrament to her yourself; you have the power to bless it all. Probably could have done without even stopping the car! ;)

Seriously, I'm glad you're home and away from that witch.

Date: September 22, 2014 04:50PM

Oh believe ME...I OFFERED that option.

But I didn't have PERMISSION from my Bishop to do that, so it wouldn't be following THE PROPER ORDER OF THINGS.

I actually pass and bless the sacrament at church pretty often, and have even gone out to nursing homes.

Not good enough for the QUEEN bitch.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:23PM

Permission from a bishop?? Wow!

Ron Burr

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:23PM

I think it's great you gave her hell, but I think as soon as I'd seen her giant cart, I would have offered to drive her (without her stuff) to the nearest car-rental place instead. What an incredibly selfish person!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:29PM

an MLM convention in the MLM capital of the world ?

Who would have thunk it ?

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:30PM

This is why NO ONE else drives my car. You could have pulled off, found the bus station, train station whatever and left her there.

Seriously your wife needs a new friend.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:33PM

I thought mormons self-destructed in a burst of flames if they didn't take the sacrament for 2 weeks...
Sheesh. Another TSCC myth busted.

:)

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 01:47PM

Wow you are really really nice. First off I wouldn't have allowed all that crap in my car in the first place. I'm a very light packer and don't have much tolerance for those that aren't. And driving her all over so she could take the sacrament? I'd drop her off at the nearest convenient spot and tell her good luck with that.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:16PM

She reminds me of this person my TBM step sisters hang out with because they work for her and her husband. This person makes everything about her, and has absolutely no manners to the point where the rest of the family can't stand her and make excuses to leave gatherings early when she's there. The thing is, that these step sisters are too nice to the point of being doormats because they feel they have to invite her to birthday parties and baptisms even though she's not in their ward. I even went as far as to block this woman on Facebook so I don't have to see her when she gets into their pictures. Everyone else in the family has done the same thing because they can't stand her.

Once, when they went to Disneyland without her because it was the best time for them, it became their road trip from hell because this friend kept calling and texting them nasty messages the entire weekend.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 04:23PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:24PM

You had me at MLM.

Posted by: SB ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:40PM

I hate people being inconsiderate, annoying, taking advantage on acquaintances and never disclosing the truth until you have let them in...and that lady was a pain too.

#MLMKARMA

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 04:44PM

"MLM Karma" was exactly what came to mind!

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:02PM

I'm pretty shocked this guys got so much empathy.

You're proud of being a successful MLM con artist and you think we won't be happy to hear of your discomfort around other MLM jerkwads?

Date: September 22, 2014 05:33PM

I could really give a rats arse what you think and i could care less if i make a dime. The fact of the matter is I was skeptical like you until I saw my wife and family get off 34 prescriptions and have seen other people I know personally get out of their wheelchairs and walk and seen people's cancer go into remission. MLM or not. ..It works. Even if I didn't share it with another person for the rest of my life i would still use it. If i am conning people why do we rarely lose anyone who has signed up?

Are some mlms bad. ..sure. I had a girl dump me over Amway. My wife dragged me into this kicking and screaming and lost lots of weight and is healthier than I have seen her in years.

If i see someone hurting and i think what i have to offer will help I share it. Most people who decide that want to work it as a business do so because it works not because my wife or i have twisted their arm. They come to us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 05:34PM by ultra.

Date: September 23, 2014 11:16AM

Believing things based on testimonials, you need to become better acquainted with science and the placebo effect, I would also read up on double blinded trials.

All MLM are bad, all of them. Why? because they are a pyramid scheme. If the product is so great, it would sell itself. They create conspiracies, reveal "hidden secrets" "they" don't want you to konw and pass off this crap as science.

I have had 2 friends die from stopping their cancer treatments because someone talked them into the latest mlm.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 11:23AM

Yes, if the products they peddled were so great, why not just sell them in the grocery store or on amazon like normal people do? Because without all the hype, testimonials, and pomp they wouldn't sell. Because it's mediocre crap (at best) selling for inflated prices.

Date: September 23, 2014 11:44AM

I get mad because this is just like TSCC, they cost people their lives and health with well meaning lies.

I don't know why thy don't ever understand why MLM only make money or those at the top and so many looses money.

I live in Utah and I have thought about making this bumper sticker:

"IT IS A PYRAMID SCHEME, DUMMY"

Date: September 23, 2014 01:13PM

Before you cast stones from the great and spacious building...educate yourself.

Most people who fail at network marketing FAIL because they don't look at it as a JOB but as a get rich scheme.They think there is NO work involved and then get mad at the concept because they failed. As far as a placebo effect...

I have worked in the medical field for over 10 year in my life. Believe me I TESTED for that. I have had my own experiences and not the 'burning in the bosom' type which have confirmed it for me. I was once YOU.

Here is some education for you. I suggest you read it...

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/35744

http://www.network-marketing-business-school.com/pyramid-scheme.html

http://www.mlm-thetruth.com/

The truth of the matter is that network marketing is a legitimate way to do business.

As far as it just being testimonials AND placebo effect, I give you...and this will out me, but I was trying to avoid what it was, but...

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/aromatherapy/healthprofessional/page4

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=essential+oils

More and more SCIENTIFIC studies come out all the time showing the effectiveness.

and finally...

http://www.warrentrinidad.org/mindset/category/billionaires%20in%20network%20marketing

I'm sorry...but I have facts.

Honestly if someone wanted to work it like a business and dedicate themselves they could still get rich selling AMWAY. I know about 30 or 40 families in many different companies who are fully self-employed in MLM companies.

Yes...I will confess SOME ARE SCAMS. That is why before you join ANY of them you need to research it. And if they don't work for you...go open yourself a nice little convenience store or laundromat.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 01:58PM

"I have worked in the medical field for over 10 year in my life."

That could mean you were a janitor at a hospital. Or the billing rep at a doctor's office. That does not imply in any way that you have any medical training or knowledge at all.

Also: http://www.quackwatch.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 01:59PM by dogzilla.

Date: September 23, 2014 02:23PM

I am so glad that you have "Facts", such as MLM propaganda.

I am very concerned that you claim to have worked for an IRB, what IRB would allow a person with such little mental capacity as to believe in an MLM and dismiss the scientific method? I hope that you are not implying that you sat on the actual IRB. That would put any studies reviewed into question if one of the people (and I assume that you would have been the patient advocate/community member) was so dim. I assume this because anyone with a medical education or institutional oversight capacity would comprehend the fallacy of believing in MLMs.

and yes, I happen to have a masters in clinical research and work for a pharmaceutical company. My undergrad is in statistics. I teach a class twice at year at the U of U about alternative medicine.

I am also certain that you were never once ME. Nice try with the "feel, felt, found" sales technique. I would not have been dim witted enough, even as a child to believe in an MLM.

Aromatherapy, really?

I am not sure that working at a laundrymat is the ONLY (again, another thinking error "black and white thinking") is the only alternative to overstating the effects of essential oils.

SOME of these therapies have been found to help with some symptoms and have helped with some minor diseases. But the problem with ignorant LML'ers, such as yourself is that you make the leap that they cure cancer "because you have seen it". I continue offer 10k to anyone in the pseudo-science community that can show me enough cases of remission ot perform above placebo...I'm still waiting after 12 years.

Even one set of CAT scans, but nothing. Why? because it is all based on testimonials, just like TSCC.

Please pass this offer along to all of your fellow cult members.

You don't seem to understand pyramids. But let me try to explain it to you: some people will make a lot of money, at the top, the rest are just suckers thinking they can also do it. The MATHEMATICAL FACT is that there is a limited number of clients (suckers) out there and eventually the lower rungs continue to try very hard and some even make some money, but it is a flawed system. The math is against you, no matter how much cheering, conventions worship and reassuring you get from them.

This system is set up for 95% to fail, just like the product, while the 5% bear testimony and a new crop of suckers walks in. If this product was so great, and these benevolent inventors just want to give the profit to the people and not to those evil stores, then hire them and give them a base salary.

But you continue to believe your western medicine conspiracy theories, your ancient Egyptian secrets revealed, or mother nature's magic cures. Keep using pseudo science, testimonials and compromised opinions to find the truth. Keep rubbing that snake oil on, there are plenty of suckers out there. In fact I know of an organization that you'd love, I can send two of their 18 year old representatives to discuss their plan with you, they only want 10%.

Date: September 23, 2014 02:31PM

for someone who does not give a rats arse, you sure seem to care. By the way, your pub med links are to studied that tested oils and their finding are inconclusive.

The strongest finding is "MAY have beneficial", the "results suggest", "MAY be a good therapeutic approach", "May have potential" Jesus it is like reading FARMS.

Give us the result of your double blinded- placebo controlled, INDEPENDENT study and put it on the market. Don't use the excuse that the FDA is against natural cures crap, or that it costs 200000 billion, Your prophet, Gary Young has enough money to prove whether this is real or not. Put up or shut up.

You people are to science, what mormons are to truth.

Date: September 23, 2014 01:16PM

I worked in an IRB(internal review board) for 8 years and looked at drug and device studies EVERYDAY during that time. I know more about double blinded studies THAN you...unless you happen to be a research doctor of course. I have talked to Sanjay Gupta from CNN frequently BEFORE he went to CNN. Nice guy actually.

Date: September 23, 2014 02:37PM

Sanjay Gupta? this is your claim to legitimacy? oh my god. Next you will tell me that you know all bout psychiatry because you went to a Dr. Phil recording and shook his hand.

Posted by: anonrit3n0w ( )
Date: September 23, 2014 02:44PM

I think a better question than why is he peddling what you deem snake oil (which it very well may be. idgaf really), is why your panties are seriously crawling up your a$$ over this. Step away from the keyboard and take a bong hit or something.

Date: September 23, 2014 03:16PM

First of all go fuc7 yourself. I have the right to do whatever I want with my time.

Secondly, these people are not just selling Tupperware or soap, they kill people. I am a community advocate for health education and these clowns prey of the ignorant, the poor and the desperate.

Instead of having poor people get a mammogram or a discounted clinical visit with the little money they have, they commit them with promises to cure diseases which is both illegal and unethical.

Its like saying why be in a recovery from Mormonism website, why not just leave quietly. Because they continue to pull the SCAM, that is why. I have an ethical and professional responsibility to expose these frauds. It is the same reason people like you use their first amendment to counter the fraud of Mormonism.

So I will get my panties in a bunch when it comes to criminal activity that exploits ignorance.

My conversation with ULTRA is between us, you cant watch or not watch. But if you are here to be the police, the read my first point, go fu7k yourself.

Date: September 23, 2014 04:43PM

I agree. I like the disagreement and opposing point of view. We may not agree with each other and I have been reading each rebuttal. I have seen results beyond the placebo effect in my life. . But if people need western medicine I tell them to get it. I think it's a viable option and have never told anyone to stop there prescriptions... That would be stupid. Believe me I was skeptical..But it works for me and I have seen it help others. People are free to do whatever they want. Blast away. I used the same arguments with my wife when she started.

Yes this is a testimonial but it's true. I thought i had broken my hand and was looking for something to relieve the pain. Grabbed some of my wives snake oil...slapped some on. .and it worked. No pain 5 seconds after putting it on. I was like s&!+!

I don't have to look at other testimonials. I have 4 or 5 other experiences like this personally. Could it be placebo effect? Maybe some of it.

I have read both pro and con exhaustively. The networking part WAS a big turn off for me.

It didn't hurt though when I saw my wife bring in more in one month than i did in a year trying to sell insurance. About 3 or 4 people she has signed up sell. The other hundr ed or so only buy product CONSISTENTLY. Maybe they are all deluded too. Some of them are much more faithful about the stuff than I am. Like I said it really shocks me that people seek us out and consistently order.

Some of them we HAVE had to tell to get to a doctor because they were trying to just use the product for everything.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:34PM

Once, a long time ago, my ex and I took a lady to a temple dedication. We gave another couple a lift, too. I was pregnant and sick, and the trip was 5 hours each way. That stupid woman literally talked the entire way there and the entire way back. She was an annoying bore, and it was so miserable having to hear her inches from my ear, I never forgot it. Still, she was not as bad as the giant cart woman. You were so much nicer to her than most people would have been. Had you left her somewhere, she would have deserved it. Too bad you didn't have a tranquilizing dart.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 05:38PM

what is MLM?

Date: September 22, 2014 05:48PM

It means multi level marketing or network marketing. Usually sign people up to work under you and get a percentage of what they sell and they sign up people under them depending how far down it is set up you can make a percentage of their sales too.

Actually if i never wanted to do the multi level part of it I could sign up people as clients and make commission on what I sell just like an insurance agent or car salesman. I am actually shocked to be quite honest how many people ask if they can do it as a business.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 06:15PM

When I was going to Ricks college my fiance and I gave rides to three people from our ward. They were friends and we all had people to stay with when we got to Provo for Conference.

I was driving a large roomy 67 Chevy Imapala with a passing gear. That 327 was a sweet drive on the highway.

So we joked, told stories and opinions and in general had a pretty good time.

Then num-nuts brainless Mormon girl gets out of her seat belt and leans over the front seat and pokes me hard in the ribs from both sides at once!

I jumped causing the car to swerve a little bit in the lane.
She got a dressing down from like she'd never gotten in her life.
Karma the Bit*h possessed me and repaid her immaturity.

Having been bullied as a child by college educated people my what-for was well honed.
I can tell it still annoys me.

You were shocked and went into your default setting: NICE.

It is hard to register when you're shocked that you have someone over-the-top selfish and you need to tell them no.
What would she have done if you'd said I'll take you and one bag, but the others we can take to the bus station where you can check them to be taken to your home town?

Now as certified arm chair experts with 20/20 hindsight the consensus is: "Oh, I had no idea you had more than two bags! I won't be able to take you in my car, but I can take you to the bus station or the car rental, which ever you prefer unless you have another idea?"

There would be no way they could come in your car with so much luggage. It was completely unreasonable for her to expect anyone to take her with that much luggage.

Thank you for sharing your misadventure with a very selfish person. It's a good example I can tell my kids.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 07:21PM

No kidding. You could have told her "I agreed to give YOU a ride. Nobody mentioned that you needed a moving van for your luggage." You should have taken a cue from the airlines and charged her $50 for each bag after the first.

How did she get to the hotel in the first place? Did her ride there ditch her when it was time to go home?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 07:22PM by imaworkinonit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.